PDA

View Full Version : Can Latham do it? Stop NAS?

Gone Fishing
2nd Dec 2003, 12:39
Personally I would have preferred to see Beazley given the chance again, but congratulations to Mark Latham.

The big question is can he do it? Stop NAS?

The Labor Party used to have a policy called Rollback. Good name, lets resurrect it.

I would suggest the future of NAS is closely linked to the result of the next Federal election. Perhaps the next stage be it 2C or 3A may be the last. Do you think some people are getting nervous?

Any Citations flown into the elctorate of Werriwa over the last 4 days?

Buster Hyman
2nd Dec 2003, 13:34
I don't think the ALP will hitch their election star to an aviation related issue. Especially after Kim went down pushing the Ansett barrow!

Woomera
2nd Dec 2003, 14:17
"Rollback" related to the GST - and I don't think the ALP want to go there again!

And until NASS becomes an issue the public understand, I doubt there's too many political points to be scored.

RTB RFN
2nd Dec 2003, 15:00
Well I reckon this is the best thing that I have seen happen for a long time - at last a hopeful alternative to ............

A bloke with the same spirit and sense of humour as Hawky and Paul K. A real Australian for Australia.

BTW who is or will be the shadow Minister for Transport? Few PPRUNERS would like to avago I believe!

Crimson fruitbat - where are you mate.

Col. Walter E. Kurtz
2nd Dec 2003, 15:25
He's a headkicker, alright.

I only hope he kicks the RIGHT heads!

Gone Fishing
2nd Dec 2003, 15:59
Perhaps I was misunderstood.

I don't think Labor will use airspace reform as an election issue.

I simply think that as every state Labor government and the Shadow Minister for Transport has voiced concerns/oposition to NAS, that if Labor did manage to win the next election then there is a pretty good chance we can kiss NAS goodbye.

It was looking extremely unlikely under Crean, at least with Latham maybe they have a chance. Time will tell.

Planned Root
2nd Dec 2003, 18:13
Politicians are nothing more than self serving pigs at the trough who don't give a stuff about aviation. Time and time again they have proved this when it comes to matters of aviation.

A bloke with the same spirit and sense of humour as Hawky and Paul K. A real Australian for Australia.

Ask people who lost their homes whether they had the same spirit and sense of humour when interest rates hit 18% during the late 80's when those two clowns were in power. :yuk:

Chilli Muscle
2nd Dec 2003, 19:30
Latham is an interesting one.
He crash tackled a cabbie and broke his arm over a fare dispute.
He has publicly named George Bush as the most incompetent dangerous president America has ever seen.
Also called Howy an Ars* L*cker on national TV.
He has proposed the removal of negative gearing and also suggested capital gains tax on owner occupied property.
Election winning stuff !.
I can see him hurling his empties off the wharf at Kirribilli house when the banana republic comes in.
Who needs England and the US !.
He has a chip on both shoulders in relation to wealthy people.
My guess is he doesn't give a stuff about aviation either.

I think the media will bury him in the coming months and I would be surprised if he made the election.
Kim will look 10 times better after 5 weeks of this bloke !.
Not a bad strategy if you ask me.

Ash767
2nd Dec 2003, 22:06
To sound political, I think that the liberals won the next election today with the appointment of Mark Latham as ALP leader. If Beazley had won, the libs would have to fight a little harder.

I really do not think they (ALP) will get rid of Nas as it will all be to hard, also if it does not attract votes they will not do it.

Ash767:ok:

RTB RFN
3rd Dec 2003, 04:52
PLANNED ROOT - fair cop. I guess we cannot rerun that era with Lib's in, so the "environmental factors" cannot be assessed against the "clowns' performance. I, as will many others, reflect back on this past year and wonder about many things that are concerning or embarassing for me as an Australian also however this is out of context for PPRUNE.

The bottom line is that we need a solution that is safe and effective. One that will increase the present viability and future potential of flying in Australia. A solution that will increase the safety of flying operations by reducing the risk to flying operations. Even an holistic solution that may depend upon part or full subsidisation to maintain system stability and responsible levels of service within a changing commercial environment.

In 30 years of flying and controlling I have seen us move from a CTA/OCTA system that was not completely perfect to a hotchpotch of confusion. Ironically ATC now do almost all of the tasks that Flight Service, Operations and SAR staff used to do and nowhere near as well. You wonder why the freq.s are congested? With increase of E this is compounded with increased airspace and increased complexity of service by that same controller. You will get delays. Our improved technology means that you cannot just call up for clearance and charge off because the "beast needs to be fed" to work properly.

So previously you called up to go A to B and knew that you had one clear boundary between one service and another - away you went. The critics will argue that my perspective is old hat and of no value. The critics will argue that this was so very expensive and they could be right. I wonder the cost of all the change. I wonder the cost savings to reduced staffing (if that happened). I wonder the secondary effect of unemployment. I wonder the effect of these changes to the current state of the industry!!!!!!

Chaps in high places - have you stopped and considered that you may have blown it? That your actions may be part-causal to the demise of the industry.

We had the safest airspace system in the 80's till someone went for a little fly in a little helo and got us to where we are now. A cleverer person would have not manically propagated change for what was not broke but kept the good factors, ditched the bad and improved and streamlined the system.

I think there is merit in reducing the ADT factor and spending a little more time on consideration.

The present lot have taken us to where we are today with NAS and pursuing this lot will have no effect. The backgrounder to this is worthy of 4 Corners but all will get out in time.

My hope is that Latham will be different (and keep his ability to call a shovel a $%^&&* shovel) and inject some honesty and forthrightness into the system.

could be wrong!

Sperm Bank
3rd Dec 2003, 18:27
I haven't seen too many if any Labor politicians coming out against the NAS. No great surprise there. They generally wait to see what the Libs do prior to making a judgement call.

With regard to Hawke/Keating, while the rest of the world was going along nicely in the 80's, Oz was in the grip of one of the worst managed economies in the western world. Not only shall I never forget, but nor will I ever give them the opportunity again to stuff up my country. The Labor party has some good ideas at times, However they simply can NOT manage the economy. Australia now has one of the strongest economies in the world, due in no small part to Howard and Costello. Love em or hate em, that is the fact!

AirNoServicesAustralia
3rd Dec 2003, 18:50
Sorry, Living overseas and earning US dollars, I am hoping that Labour get in and screw up the economy and the Aussie dollar plummets!!:E I know very selfish of me, but this booming Aussie economy and the booming Aussie dollar is wiping me out. I know I know, I'm paying no income tax, fair point.

Bring on some good old ALP economic mismanagement!!

Planned Root
3rd Dec 2003, 19:27
We had the safest airspace system in the 80's till someone went for a little fly in a little helo and got us to where we are now. A cleverer person would have not manically propagated change for what was not broke but kept the good factors, ditched the bad and improved and streamlined the system.

Excellently put RTB RFN and could not agree more :ok: