PDA

View Full Version : new routes and frequency from manchester

rampman
2nd Dec 2003, 08:31
just read about new route's from manchester and some new airlines flying from MAN too
Qatar airways will be flying daily instead of 4 times a week

Iberia will start a new daily route to madrid

Alitalia will start flying to milan twice daily

Emirates will be changing its twice daily A330 flights to B772

gulf air are hoping to fly from the middle off next year along with saudi arabian airlines to jeddah or riyadh

keep the airlines rolling in i say make's more jobs
:ok:

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
2nd Dec 2003, 19:57
Hi

Just out of interest the Emirates will be B777 for lunchtime fligh and an A330 low density for evening but it will be sooner rather than later for their 3rd flight which I`m told would be an early start

Just out of interest where did you read the info on Saudi and Gulf Air

I think we will find quite a few other flights coming on line next year, which promises to be the most interesting for a number of years

Good luck to all endeavouring to get all this extra business to Manchester lets all have a good 2004

Golf India Bravo

Shed-on-a-Pole
3rd Dec 2003, 04:14
The Gulf Air service may turn out to be the subsidiary company 'Gulf Traveller' which has been in the frame for a while now. Would use B763's.

Caslance
3rd Dec 2003, 04:32
Are you sure there'll be enough room for all these aircraft in such a "tiny" airport, rampman? ;)

The Iberia Madrid service is actually the "on/off" Air Nostrum service that has missed a number of start dates already, while I understand that the proposed Alitalia route will be operated by Air Dolomiti.

GIB is correct about the lunchtime Emirates flight "upgrading" to a B777, but I know of no plans for a 3rd daily flight.:confused:

I've also heard the story about Gulf Air Traveller but its no more than a rumour, so far as I know.

Still and all - interesting times ahead.:ok:

larry walker
3rd Dec 2003, 04:33
It's about time that airlines looked closer at Birmingham instead of constantly being Manchester blinkered.

Fact - Birmingham is the second city in England and is twice as large as Manchester.

Fact - The West Midlands conurbation has the same sized population as Gtr. Manchester.

Fact - Birmingham, not Manchester, is at the centre of England.

Fact - Birmingham is the best connected airport by road and rail in Britain. It is less than one mile to the nearest motorway, and three others are within 3 -10 miles.
The railway station serviced by Skylink is 90 seconds from the terminal. B'ham International is an intercity railway station on the main line between England's two largest cities.

Fact - The National Exhibition Centre (Britain's largest) is 2 minutes from BHX terminal.

Not all routes require 10,000 ft runways. For non-stop flights of 8-9 hours BHX runway is adequate. Further expansion is likely when the White Paper is published.

In case anyone thinks I'm being too critical about Manchester, they do have a rather good football team. Not the ones at the City of Manchester stadium.

Larry Walker

Caslance
3rd Dec 2003, 05:17
I cannot argue with any of the points that you make, Larry. Indeed, I've made some of them myself in the past.

In my opinion (for the little it's worth) BHX, although a quite splendid and splendidly run airport, is simply too close to London and has done inordinately well to attract and hold onto the services that it has.

johnwalton
3rd Dec 2003, 06:21
In my opinion (for the little it's worth) BHX, although a quite splendid and splendidly run airport, is simply too close to London and has done inordinately well to attract and hold onto the services that it has.

I agree.

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
3rd Dec 2003, 06:59
It`s because your rail system at Birmingham is so good is why so many head to London by train, as for the motorway I do anything possible to avoid it, it`s an utter pain in the bum even worse than the M62

How much more room have you got at BHX for expansion?

Golf India Bravo

This Charming Man
3rd Dec 2003, 07:59
Here's the latest situ at MAN for next summer , even if only half of it comes off along with rumoured extra charters, it will represent a 15% rise in traffic !

AZ - Alitalia - New twice daily MXP service with A319 eff. 01Oct, a/c overnight at MAN.

BU - Braathens - New four per weekOSL service with B737-700.

BW - BWIA - Increase BGI/POS service to twice per week operating Fridays and Sundays with A340-300.

CO - Continental - Change of equipment on EWR service for period 16May-08Sep to B777, other dates continue with B767-400.

CY - Cyprus a/w - Increase PFO/LCA service from four to five per week, new Friday service, all with A320.

EUY - EU Airways - New twice per day BFS service with FK100.

FX - Federal Express - New CDG-MAN-MEM (Memphis) freight service Monday to Thursday with MD11 eff 30Aug.

HLX - Hapag Lloyd Express - New twice per day BIO (Bilbao) service and reinsate second daily CGN service with B737-700's.

IB - Iberia - New double daily MAD service with MD87 (plus existing BCN service).

KF - Blue one - (formerly Air Botnia) New daily evening HEL service with AR8.

KL- KLM - Increase from seven to eight AMS services as during W03, with some services increasing in capacity to B737-400/800 aircraft.

LO - LOT - Increase WAW service from six per week to daily with new Saturday night-stopper.

MA - Malev - Plan to reinstate their BUD service with a daily service with B736 to overnight at MAN.

OA - Olympic - Increase from two to four per week to ATH, new service on Mondays and Thursdays with B737-400.

OK - CSA - Increase from ten to thirteen services per week to PRG, daily midday and daily overnighting except Saturday night all B737-500.

PK - PIA - New twice weekly ORD and YYZ services with B777, plus five JFK's and increase to daily terminating service all with B747-200/300's. (50 movements per week).

QR - Qatar - Increase from four per week to daily DOH service with A300-600, times remain split between morning and evening services.

SK - SAS - New twice per day ARN service with B737-600, and continuation from W03 of fourth CPH nightstopping service.

T4 - Hellas Jet - New twice per day ATH service with A320.

TK - Turkish - Increase from five per week to daily IST service with B737-800.

VG - VLM - Increase to twelve per day LCY service with FK50.

VZ - My Travel Lite - New daily GRO and PMI service with A320. (No TFS otr MJV).

WF - Wideroe - Continuation from W03 of new midday BGO (Bergen) service with Dash8.

WW - BMI baby - Four based B737-300's operating three per day BFS, daily AGP, ALC BCN, ORK,PMI, PRG and weekly MJV. New destinations are daily BOD, CDG, JER.

WOW - Air South West - Continuation from W03 of proposed new three per day PLH/BRS service with Dash8.

YK - Kibris - Increase from two to three per week DLM service with B737-800.

ZU - Helios - New twice weekly PFO service on Wednesdays and Sundays with B737-800.

Curious Pax
3rd Dec 2003, 18:10
Interesting list - some are definite, and some look very believable, but one or 2 look a bit hopeful (double daily to Athens for example!).

Additional bits - Qatar have hinted strongly that the MAN flights will change to A330s in the first half of next year. I would also expect Malaysian to increase from 4 weekly flights, and they are stongly rumoured to be introducing a couple of freight flights per week via Basle.

It is very odd that certain areas are not covered - Japan, Australia and the West coast of the US are heavily served from LHR but not from Manchester, and could easily stand at least 3-4 flights a week (given decent advertising). The Emirates, Qatar and Malaysian experience shows that people are willing to change planes much further afield if the price is good, rather than automatically head for London. If Qantas (or more to the point their BA 'controllers') were so inclined I think they could make some money on MAN-Bangkok-Sydney (possibly via Melbourne), and head off at least some of the people who will rush to Virgin's new LHR-SYD flights next year. One reason that they may not have been so popular in their later days at MAN is the 3 hour wait at LHR before continuing their journey.

larry walker
4th Dec 2003, 03:17
Replying to Golf-India Bravo, future planning at BHX will approximately double the land area of the airport.

Passenger figures are projected to increase from about 9.1 million this year to perhaps 30 million in 25 or so years time.

Extension of the existing main runway at the 33 end will bridge the A45 road. The extended runway will be 3000, or 3100 metres long. Having crossed the A45 a large area of land is already owned by the airport, and more will in time be acquired.

A displaced parallel runway, 33L, of about 2200 metres will be constructed in the longer term.

These plans are of course subject to the White Paper guidelines which we await with interest.

Regards
Larry Walker

chiglet
4th Dec 2003, 03:57
CP,
Manch had West Coast [USA] load factors 80%+
Ditto Australia....Guess what, Big Airways introduced a [2nd] LHR-LAX flight and the MAN just faded away....Same as the Sydney, Delhi, Islamabad, Miami.....need I go on?
One "Wonders"about the South African Capetown flight...oversubscribed..:confused:
watpiktch

Curious Pax
4th Dec 2003, 18:11
Chiggers,
Quite agree - forgot the 'irony' icon against my remarks! Wonder if bmi could use their spare 330 on MAN-Capetown/JNB in a code share with their friends in SAA? Suspect that bilaterals don't help there.