PDA

View Full Version : JetStar Engineering support?

Mel LAME
2nd Dec 2003, 07:37
All these new A320's,
1/ Will they use their own staff for engineering support, or use a third party as did Virgin when they started?
2/ As Melb is their main base, what hangerage will they use for maint.? Remember, Qantas are trying to keep this venture completely seperate from existing operation.

AN LAME
2nd Dec 2003, 11:41
Most likely Impulse Engineering

Kanga767
2nd Dec 2003, 17:42
Excuse my ignorance, but one might think that there are a few LAMEs out there with A320 tickets that need a job, and probably in all the right ports too.

Wouldn't this be cheaper than retraining as least some of Impulse engineers?

Post Script - I guess they might already work for Impulse......

Pimp Daddy
3rd Dec 2003, 07:24
Will be interesting what they do for hanger space, at the moment you can't even find a space for a Dash 8 in a shed in Melbourne, let alone a Deathstar.

My guess is the heavy stuff will go to Air NZ or elsewhere overseas.

chockchucker
3rd Dec 2003, 13:03
The old Ansett base won't be allowed to stand idle for too much longer. Sooner or later the administrators will have to sell it. At which time Qantas (Jetstar) may pounce. If for no other reason than to prevent anybody else being able to get their hands on an A320+B767 ready facility.

Only stick in the mud may be the rising $AUD. Could make doing the heavy maintenance in NZ cheaper (unfortunately) and thus more attractive to the bean counters.

vortsa
6th Dec 2003, 21:12
For every bodies information Qantas has been training engineers on the A320 in New Zealand for the last 5 months, currently there are approximately 40 trained with another 20 to be trained in the new year.

And yes Air New Zealand is gearing up to do all major maintenance on any Mainland A320's.

They already do a large portion of Qantas major maint. now, between now and mid next year there are 3 X 747-400 'C' checks 5 X Super 'A' checks & a substantial number of 767's planned for heavy lay ups in the new year.

The new start up is all about cutting costs and with costs in excess of $50.000 to train a LAME on a new type, and labour cost in N.Z. are so much lower,so whats stopping them?

lame
7th Dec 2003, 06:56
While it would be nice to see Jetstar employ ex Ansett Engineers that already have the A320 Licence, and it would appear to be a cheaper alternative to training new people, I doubt if that is the case. :(

Jetstar are purchasing new A320s directly from Airbus, thus part of any deal would include Airbus paying for the majority (if not all) of the training. :(

Pimp Daddy
7th Dec 2003, 07:57
For every bodies information Qantas has been training engineers on the A320 in New Zealand for the last 5 months, currently there are approximately 40 trained with another 20 to be trained in the new year.

I would suspect that is just the International Line guys to handle Air NZ trans-tasman flights - unlikely to be anything to do with Jetstar.

While it would be nice to see Jetstar employ ex Ansett Engineers that already have the A320 Licence, and it would appear to be a cheaper alternative to training new people, I doubt if that is the case.

They are asking for expressions of interest on the website from LAMEs and AMEs as well as support personell (records, planners etc) so one would expect the guys from Ansett with the licences would be first cab off the rank when they start hiring externally.

Zero_au
7th Dec 2003, 08:36
My sources within the rat and Impulse tell that alot of the day to day maintenance will be carried out in the existing Ansett hangers in MEL, and also in the old ADL hanger once it has been bought up to current fire standards. Being new aircraft major checks are some time away and will be carried out in Canada and NZ. The new Jetstar maintenance company will also be tendering for extra work from QF and VB, as nearly all of the LAME's that have applied have both Boeing and Airbus licences. Also all QF departments are going to have to tender for their own current work!! Next year is going to be very interesting!!

apacau
7th Dec 2003, 13:59
Will be interesting what they do for hanger space, at the moment you can't even find a space for a Dash 8 in a shed in Melbourne, let alone a Deathstar
There is a very impressive Hangar in Canberra that was (ironically) built for Impulse. Designed for 2x 717s, it was also built to fit 2x 737/A320s shoould Impulse ever expand.

Methinks the ACT government who made a multi-million $$ deal with Impulse might want to see some return on it via Jetstar, aka Impulse.

Kanga767
7th Dec 2003, 16:26
If I were ruthlessly negotiating a price on a new fleet with a type that I knew people were already qualified on in the country, (or at least I assumed there were!), one thing I'd negotiate away(stupidly or otherwise) to get a cheaper price on the deal would be engineering training.

K

Venture_Executive
7th Dec 2003, 20:10
JetStar may not be Australia's newest airline. Just because it's been picked up that way by the press doesn't mean something else is not about to happen which can contradict that.

AN LAME
8th Dec 2003, 11:51
Who do you think you're kidding Jens? :yuk:

fruitloop
8th Dec 2003, 14:50
Jens......Don't talk in riddles........I'm too old to play games :O

Patriot One
9th Dec 2003, 05:41
..it takes a whole lot more to start an airline than a fancy web-site and a stolen logo.

'bout time you stopped giving those poor Ansett people false hope with your bullsh*t mate. If you were going to do it you would've done it by now. A door once open is now well and truly closing.

..you're gonna have to have balls bigger than your mouth.

AN LAME
9th Dec 2003, 12:18
Patriot

His problem is a total lack thereof... not size:mad:

Venture_Executive
27th Dec 2003, 08:29
Pacific Southwest Engineering is currently timetabling the system for the new airline and has placed an advertisement on the Seek website for employment opportunities expressions of interest. The Seek advertisement is also linked from the careers section of the www.pacificsouthwestengineering.com.au website.

The venture is in an excellent position to bring its airline start date forward at this stage due to certain commercial arrangements that are in process and the advancement of our plans beyond the 75% mark (in our estimate).

We would like to think that former Ansett staff would rally behind this venture as it is truly the last opportunity to fly an Ansett evolutionary product. The window of opportunity is closing, but it shouldn't close before we've given it our best shot.

Let me point out also that, only very few former Ansett people have attempted a feat such as this (and good on them for trying), however, none have advanced to this level and have achieved the necessary committments from government, business and individuals as this venture. It's different, its a challenge, its quite a lot of fun and it will produce a fantastic airline and employer of choice - and it will be the Ansett dream come true.

Thanks for your support.

Take Care

B772
31st Dec 2003, 05:09
Are you for real Venture_Executive or are you dreaming.

The pilot hours of min 2000 total with 2000 in command is an interesting twist.

Good luck

Venture_Executive
1st Jan 2004, 13:32
Thanks for that B772. The page has been updated!!!

Take Care.