PDA

View Full Version : BA Callsigns

BWBriscoe
2nd Dec 2003, 07:15
I was looking in a book, and found that BA actually utilise more than one callsign. Apart from 'Speedbird', they utilise the callsigns 'Santa' and 'Shuttle'.

When are the callsigns 'Santa' and 'Shuttle' used?

Cheers.

rampman
2nd Dec 2003, 08:20
shuttle callsign is used on the LHR- MAN-LHR route .... but can't help you with the santa callsigN :cool:

Mark Lewis
2nd Dec 2003, 19:55
Shuttle is used on the LHR - MAN/GLA/EDI routes
Santa is used on special Lapland charter flights
British is used for BA Citiexpress flights

And then of course there are all the franchises, each using their own callsigns too...

boredcounter
3rd Dec 2003, 05:24
Been a while since I had the scanner on at work here in Brum.

BACX still (as of the last time) used BAW/Speedbird for BHX based 146s routes. BRT/British tended to be IOM looked after A/C and routes.

Shuttle, anything with ICAO callsign SHT, but as Mark sais on the routes.

Santa, never came across that one, doubt Lapland charters, more the charity work BA(and other airlines) do for terminally ill kids around Xmas.
Anything can be done, unless ATC can correct me, with a phone call, backed up with 18/RTF SANTA001 OPR/BAW RMK/ THANK YOU CHARITY FLIGHT WITH KIDS

chiglet
3rd Dec 2003, 05:43
BAW [Speedbird] Usually used for "Mainline" Routes
BRT Usually used for "Regional" Routes
SHT [Shuttle] Used for "Frequent" services London-XXX Return. [Number usually denotes CityPair
SANTA Special "Santa" flights, usually with Santa on board.
From Manch, the Bac111 would roar down the runway, ease off the ground and then "Go to Warp" [a 1g rotation] Over the Irish Sea, a [pre arranged] Lightning, Jaguar or Tornado would "look" at the Santa flight, and as he turned away, Sata would appear and give out the Pressies.
Now, a Santa flight is an out and back, as quick as poss.
And they call [B]me a Boring Old F*rt
watpiktch

Mark Lewis
3rd Dec 2003, 06:45
BA Citiexpress have adopted "British" as their callsign now. Everything uses it apart from the MAN - JFK service, and that is debateable over who runs it anyway!