PDA

View Full Version : EZY Alphanumeric Callsigns?

Localiser Green
2nd Dec 2003, 00:33
What happened to them? Haven't heard as many at all recently as in the Summer... did they scrap the whole idea?

Landing_24R
2nd Dec 2003, 02:35
They've gone, apparently they're only being used on routes where potential confusion with other numbers has been deemed likely. No idea why I'm afraid, although some of them did look very difficult to say!

Cheers
Landing_24R

Localiser Green
2nd Dec 2003, 04:12
Interesting, since over Summer 2003 all EZY flights except some UK domestic services carried an Alphanumeric c/s.

Manual Reversion
2nd Dec 2003, 05:14
Happily we seem to be using four digit callsigns, although I gather there are a few alpha numeric callsigns left.

Seems a lot more user friendly to me...and I am saving a fortune on 'post it' stickers!
Don't worry, someone will invent a new sysytem next week!

ecj
2nd Dec 2003, 14:26
The best type of alpha numeric c/s are those where you have a maximum of three numbers followed by a single letter.
If we have to endure them, let this be the industry standard.

One of the worst examples was in DAN AIR days

DANAIR Bravo six echo whisky - difficult for all concerned.

Perhaps someone could decode this c/s ?

big.al
2nd Dec 2003, 18:40
ecj -

Maybe the 'whisky' at the end of the Dan Air call-sign was just the Captain getting his bar order in first....:D

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
2nd Dec 2003, 19:03
Alpha numerics still very much in evidence at Luton on all international and one or two domestic flights.

kriskross
3rd Dec 2003, 05:54
In 10 years of Dan Air, I don't remember any alpha-numerics??? The schedules were 3 number and the charters 4 numbers, at least on the 727 and 737 fleets, but I am prepared to be prooved wrong!!