PDA

View Full Version : Wifi on a train

amanoffewwords
2nd Dec 2003, 00:03
GNER (Uk train co.) is to run a trial of wifi service on one of its trains. Only catch is you have to book 1st class, sit in coach L and hope that this one train is the one that shows up where and when they tell you it should on this site (http://www.gnermobileoffice.co.uk/GNERMobileOffice/takepart/) .

So at least the train may run like a snail and play havoc with your diary as well as cost you an arm and a leg but at least you'll eventually be able to tell everyone very quickly that you'll be late for that meeting.

Not sure how they will cope with the overhead wires surrounding the train though (and the tunnels, hills etc..).

Still it's something I guess...

amofw

Naples Air Center, Inc.
2nd Dec 2003, 00:54
amanoffewwords,

My guess is GNER will hardwire it into their current datalink they have with all their trains.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Can you just see people driving their cars next to the tracks, racing along side the train, just so they can "Jack In"! :cool:

amanoffewwords
2nd Dec 2003, 01:36
I was thinking they might install repeaters on the low cost airlines aircraft flying overhead (which they apparently want to compete with). :)

Rather than car drivers I was thinking the smaller villages/towns along the route may benefit too - like 15 seconds of wifi twice a day every day - then the government can say "how wonderful, x% more people on the internet thanks to wifi, aren't we clever").

They will, of course, have to switch off or re-route THAT train of Dubya's within range!!

amofw

Timothy
2nd Dec 2003, 02:29
I use a combination of BlueTooth and GPRS on trains and find it remarkably effective and inexpensive.

W