PDA

View Full Version : UK Sponsorship for trainee pilots?

DanRS
30th Nov 2003, 18:15
I'm hoping to start on the long road to becomming a professional helicpter pilot in the new year.

Obviously if there is anyway I can reduce the cost I would be more than happy, so...

Does anyone do partial sponsership? Is there anyone I could write to?

I'd be gratefull for any input or suggestions

Cheers Dan

Watchoutbelow
30th Nov 2003, 19:11
There is sponsership, its called the U.K MOD. You will save yourself a bucket of money and get to fly the some of the best helicopters out there.

cyclic
1st Dec 2003, 06:25
The best helicopters out there?!

Probably 30 years ago maybe..........

whatsarunway
1st Dec 2003, 06:39
Well you will definatly be shot at by the best of weapons!:}

Watchoutbelow
1st Dec 2003, 06:53
Don't even try and tell me you wouldn't want to get your hands on an Apache. :=

Ascend Charlie
1st Dec 2003, 09:22
Learning to fly is not like learning a trade. Anybody with an IQ approaching room temperature can learn to be a welder or plumber or whatever. It just takes time, and while you are learning, you are told to do all the crappy little jobs that a qualified plumber can't be bothered doing. Once you are qualified, nobody does any further testing of you and you will get a job despite your abilities.

Flying is a bit different. It is fearfully expensive to learn, so anybody who is a slower learner will have to pay a lot more. Not everybody can learn it. If you have enough money to learn, despite being a slow learner, then keep doing whatever you are doing, because it pays a lot more than being a pilot.

No company is going to take the risk of training an apprentice pilot because they do not know what sort of product they will end up with. That's why the military scrubs such a high proportion of their intake, despite the rigorous selection process. On the course ahead of me, there were 35 started and they got 3 pilots and 2 navigators (re-treaded after failing the pilot course) out of them. Mind you, this was 35 years ago..

And unlike the apprentice plumber, an apprentice pilot can't really be gainfully employed around the business - he would rapidly tire of washing aircraft and mowing lawns, and the myriad other little tasks which occupy Real Commercial Pilots when not flying.:ugh:

GJB
1st Dec 2003, 17:02
DAN

Previously BRISTOWS have sponsored a few CPL(H) candidates over the years. The work is flying to North Sea platforms, drillings rigs, ships etc working in the oil and gas business.

Right now, that business isn't looking too rosy and drilling/exploration activity is pretty low, with a large number of rigs 'stacked' in port.

However, all that could change so get in touch with them. They are based in Aberdeen at the airport.

BOND are coming back into this business and ran an advert in FLIGHT earlier this year, but I don't think they will be sponsoring.....it's a long story.....suggest you run a few searches to familiarise yoruself with this sector if it interests you.