PDA

View Full Version : Essex Police - Warning Mobile Phone Scam

bealine
30th Nov 2003, 17:49
I know it's not anything to do with Air Travel, but as the Ppruners here mostly reside in the UK, can I pass on a warning from Essex Police:

Abstract:
News from Essex Police about a mobile phone scam that could cost you dearly.

ALLEGED PHONE SCAM - REPORTED BY THE ESSEX POLICE
If you receive a text message on your mobile from the number 15477 indicating that you have won a 2 night stay in the Druid's Marriott in Wicklow, saying that they you must reply with the text "#90" or "#09", You should delete this text immediately and not reply.

This is a fraud company using a device, that once you press #90 or #09 and reply text, they can access your "SIM" card and make calls at your expense.

Forward this message to as many friends as you can to stop it."

You are advised to take care if you are asked to use any unusual dialing codes on your mobile phone.

Pax Vobiscum
30th Nov 2003, 18:44
Sorry bealine, but this sounds remarkably like an urban myth (www.shartwell.freeserve.co.uk/humor-site/ corporate-myths.html) (although the ones I've seen refer to 90#). Police forces have been known to fall for it and circulate it 'officially'.

Whatever the truth of the case, replying to amazing free gifts/lottery wins that appear on your mobile (or clicking on similar popup messages on the Internet) is unlikely to prove beneficial!

Tinstaafl
30th Nov 2003, 21:32
Responding as requested to '...forward to all your friends...' etc is also a no-no. Another form of spam.

bealine
1st Dec 2003, 04:04
Okay! Looks like I've sort of been had! However, the advice about not replying to dodgy codes probably holds good!

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/jailcall.htm