PDA

View Full Version : help needed with usb installation

sharkbuster
29th Nov 2003, 23:39
I recently tried to install a printer via usb. The computer recognised a usb printer had been connected but when it came to installing the drivers from the supplied disc I kept getting an error message saying the required software could not be found. On investigatin the control panel it appeared that the printer was trying to use LPT 1 and not usb. I tried the whole installation via usb on my sons laptop and it worked fine. I the returned to my pc and attempted to connect/install via the parallel port and this has got the printer working fine. However today I tried to install a usb graphics tablet and have the same problem, namely an error message saying the software cannot be found even though I have the manufacturers installation disc. I have tried other usb ports on the pc to no avail, although other devices already installed work fine, as does the dvd drive from which I have sucessfully installed other software. Can anybody out there offer any thoughts before I try using my system restore disc??
Thanks

flyingwysiwyg
30th Nov 2003, 00:52
Hi SharkBuster,

You don't say what operating system your using, but it should be the same for most Windows packages.

If you go to CONTROL PANEL and then DEVICE MANAGER and look under Univeral Serial Bus Controllers, is your graphics tablet listed?

If it is, right click on it and click on the uninstall option. CAREFUL to get the right device.

Are the software drivers for your device compatible with your Operating System (many things originally written for Win '95,'98 & ME need drivers downloading from the manufacturers web site to work on XP).

Disconnect your graphics tablet and re - start your machine.
Install the drivers from the manufacturers discs before connecting the tablet.

That may fix it.

Let us know what happens.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
30th Nov 2003, 00:58
sharkbuster,

Without any details on your hardware or OS, and am going to take a complete stab in the dark. Try using a different USB Port. If you are using the USB Ports on the front of the computer or the Ports that are in the PCI Slots, then open the computer, unplug those ports from the motherboard and plug them back in. See if that helps.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. flyingwysiwyg looks like our posts crossed.

sharkbuster
4th Dec 2003, 05:20
Thanks for the advice. I nthe end it appeared that windows xp home had become corrupted. I did a sytem recovery which seems to have solved the problem although now i am spending hours reinstalling everything