PDA

View Full Version : Like Father Like Son

Lee
29th Nov 2003, 22:04
What the father did in the 1980s to SIA pilots, the son now wants to follow: using the father's own words "'I don't want to do you in but I don't want let anybody do Singapore in' and I still think it's a valid message."

No originality on his (DPM Lee) part and shows that he (DPM Lee) can't stand on his own feet. Goosh, I wonder why we spent so much on him by giving him two Government Scholarships- the President's Scolarship and the SAF Scholarship to Cambridge, then later to do an MPA from Harvard University. What a waste of taxpayer's money! God's know how he can perform as Prime Minister when he ascends to the throne!

SIA pilots should rethink their confrontational approach: DPM Lee
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/031129/5/singapore59506.html

Saturday November 29, 4:16 AM
SIA pilots should rethink their confrontational approach: DPM Lee
ADVERTISEMENT

WELLINGTON, New Zealand: Recent move by SIA pilots to vote out union leaders whom they felt had let them down, is a confrontational approach which could undermine tripartite relations.
Speaking to reporters at in a wrap-up news conference in New Zealand, Deputy Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said: "The health of the company is critical not only to their well being but to the well being of Singapore and the company has to look after its interest and at the same time, look after its staff. But it has to be fair and do its responsibility as an employer and the unions have to know how to work with the company in order to safeguard the workers.

"I think the deal which the union leaders made earlier which had wage restructuring and wage cuts but at the same time formula and restoration and profit sharing beyond a certain point - that was a very fair deal. And well if now, things have turned out better there's a profit share arrangement which will kick in at some point. So I don't think there's a reason to rethink what was agreed earlier. But as Ng Eng Hen said the pilots, the leaders of this group have to think very carefully, do they really want to take on the government?

"The last time where there was a run in 1980 between the pilots and SIA and at that time the PM stepped in. He was speaking to the pilots union and he said 'I don't want to do you in but I don't want let anybody do Singapore in' and I still think it's a valid message."

DPM Lee is the latest Cabinet Minister to warn union leaders of Singapore Airlines to re-think their confrontational approach to labour relations.

But DPM Lee stressed that on the whole, the government's relations with unions are very good.

He also touched on the issue of whether retrenchment benefits in Singapore are too generous.

The tripartite committee comprising unions, the government and companies last reviewed them some years ago but the economic downturn has raised the question again.

"Lim Boon Heng has expressed the view and which I agree that they are still rather generous and if we want to change them further it will have to (be) another tripartite discussion to see if we can go further. It's symbolically important. Practically the impact is not, maybe not so huge because nowadays not so many workers will be working for 15-20 years for the same employer."

"But psychologically it has an impact on employers because they look at it and say, 'Wow! The chap works with me so many years, it's such a generous benefit he expects from the company,' and it will be a disincentive for people to hire. Because when you hire you must calculate that when you retrench, what the expenses are," said Mr Lee.

Companies usually offer a month for every year year of service. But with the possibility of lowering the ceiling on the years of service, the amount of retrenchment benefits to a worker would be substantially reduced.

As a comparison, Mr Lee noted that countries which have made it the hardest to retrench workers, have the highest unemployment rates.

Said DPM Lee: "The countries that make it the most difficult to retrench workers have the highest unemployment rates. Germany is the best example. In Germany they rule that when you retrench workers, you must retrench the cheapest workers first, last in first out so the youngest workers - those with no family obligations, go.

"Those with family obligations and highest seniority go last so there's no point retrenching. If you retrench cheap workers and you end up increasing your wage costs, the conclusion is that companies refuse to hire and the unemployment rate is 9 or 10 per cent and then the growth of companies is over and the economy stagnates." - CNA

Gladiator
30th Nov 2003, 02:10
Lee,

You missed out the fact that they made him an instant General also.

What ya all need is to grow ba**s and go on strike.

The son of dictator Lee Kuan Yew has no new ideas of his own, and no creativity. The only thing he understands is what his father taught him. Economic growth based on exploitation.

Remember Singapore used to be center for trading slaves. All Lee Kuan Yew and his son have done is add sugar coating.

They never impressed me and neither did SIA. All the shine on the new jets, red lipstick on the cabin crew, may be impressive to a passenger.

As an employee, third rate operation.

b777pilot
30th Nov 2003, 08:18
your nick is Lee? are you eligible for ascension as well?

Lee
30th Nov 2003, 12:26
Gladiator,

Yes, an ex-arm-chair BG who couldn't shoot straight, let alone think straight. Too much of a mummy's boy. Oh, yeah, his mmumy just had a stroke in London, and guess what, in a public hospital, Royal Free Hospital the Lee's (Daddy Lee and Mummy Lee) wanted to be treated like the Queen and King!

Too bad the British doctors had to put the Lees in place, that England has only one Queen and sorry it wasn't the Lee!

b777pilot,

Yes my surname is Lee but I have nothing to do with the Lees, I worked my way up from Cadet pilot to Capt. Meritocracy yes, but not the Lee style of "married to crazy" (Lee). I won't say more.

b777pilot
1st Dec 2003, 07:56
just kidding. just kidding.

sq111
1st Dec 2003, 08:11
B777pilot

You from Lee gardens, so your surname Lee too???

or you bunk in with Lee??

Slasher
1st Dec 2003, 09:46
Idi Amin - Major Badaka

Adolf Hitler - Admiral Doenitz

Lee Kuan Yew - Brig Gen Lee Hsien Loong

Slimey dictators have a habit of nominating military successers dont they.

b777pilot
5th Dec 2003, 14:58
seriously, its a condo in hong kong.