PDA

View Full Version : Lanseria controllers

RUDAS
29th Nov 2003, 18:51
What are your views on the ATC's at Lanseria? Its a very well run operation as far as I have experienced in my short time flying there to date,but i've heard some criticisms.anyone had experiences or stories they wish to share?:hmm: (bad as well as good...)

orgasmotron
29th Nov 2003, 23:13
Only got good things to say about them. It is a very busy airspace and they handle everything form student pilots to scheduled DC-9's of Sunair. Sure, the odd incident does occur, more due to inexperienced pilot's i.e. students in such a busy airspace than anything else. Bearing in mind they have no radar and sometimes johannesburg radar literally dumps an aircraft on their doorstep.

Friendly and helpfull bunch with a great sense of humour. Not strange to have 8 plus aircraft on TCAS within 10 miles. all terminal traffic inbound/inbound FALA.

They also make mistakes every now and then, but don't we all ?

Keep up the good work.

30th Nov 2003, 00:19
Lanseria cooks!! Those runways are so close together and the ATCs use them as parallels. Cock-ups happen when the student, or whoever approaching from the south for right base 06R, hammerheads and conflicts with the tfc on approach for 06L.
Its very busy airspace!! I have seen 5-6 aicraft doing circuits on the right and then there were two citations doing circuits on the left. Plus all the usual in- and outbound tfc.

Avoid doing training on saturday and sunday mornings. Its just too busy and you might get stuck out at the dam waiting for joining clearance.

Generally ATC does good work there and they are always friendly and helpful.

Sayagain...?
30th Nov 2003, 14:47
Very helpfull folks in the tower. Not prone to grab the phone to CAA if you make a mistake, they rather help and advise. Keep up the good work!

NdekePilot
2nd Dec 2003, 21:24
Lanseria ATC are great! Even tolerated guys flying down from Zambia in everything from Cessna 182s to Challenger 601s, even putting the Challenger in on 6R at night.....believe that was fun to watch!
Just wish ATC in the UK and Europe had the time to adopt the same professional yet relaxed style and more importantly, the great sense of humour.
Keep up the good work and enjoy your new shiny airport!
NP.:ok:

Rhodie
3rd Dec 2003, 15:07
Back whenst I was yet a sproglet, and Scary was a small place to go watch aeries, ATC have been the greatest advocates of aviation around. Doing my S.A. radio licence, I was never refused a request to go up to the tower to listen in - help was always a question away and readily answered..

Scary got bigger, new buildings, the pub got larney and the motor-cycle breakfast runs stopped happening, and it got bl@@dy expensive to land there anymore...

Post 9/11, the powers that be went totally OTT with security - even before the new building was opened you had searches and twenty questions coming IN from airside..!! (?)

It is not as "user friendly" as it was, a lot more expensive and is obviously and understandably a BUSINESS for the owners...

Would be nice, tho' - if they listened to the guys who ultimately make it all happen, that's the ATC guys (and girls), and became a bit like them...

:ok:

3bar
4th Dec 2003, 23:34
Controlling is excellent there. Do most of my flying out of FAJS but never had a problem out of FALA. Always accomodating! Taxi ways are a bit confusing though.