PDA

View Full Version : Hydro Air Accident

Coleman Myers
29th Nov 2003, 15:26
Does anyone have any further news ?.

Is it for definite the crew are all okay ?.

Apparently U/C destroyed and wings separated from airframe - is that correct ?.

Not good for AFRICA.......

makeapullup
29th Nov 2003, 16:05
was the runway not closed?

Little One
29th Nov 2003, 16:42
Don't know much but what I heard was that a NOTAM was issued that the RWY was closed but ATC cleared them to land anyway and hit an obstruction on the RWY
Not sure if true though but if so bad form from my african conterparts

Airforce1
29th Nov 2003, 16:51
At which airport did it happen chaps?

SortieIII
29th Nov 2003, 17:04
Please give some more details - it's news to me.

Thanks.

orgasmotron
29th Nov 2003, 23:18
Apparently Lagos.

What's new. Anything possible in Lagos. Glad crew OK. Anybody know names. Heard Captain was Paul Theron. Bad news for Hydro though. Heard ditch was dug accros RWY which ripped of nosegear and RH maingear.

Rani
30th Nov 2003, 07:18
I have no information regarding this incident besides a speculation:

The runway was being repaired pending Queen Elizabeth's visit next week (Commonwealth summit).

This is not the first (and probably not the last) time Lagos ATC screws up royally. In 1996, LOS Tower incompetence cost 149 people their lives (ADC 727 crash).

I wish the crew a speedy recovery.

Engineer
30th Nov 2003, 13:39
From The Guardian (http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/)

A FOREIGN cargo airplane B777 belonging to Hydro Air cargo crashed yesterday at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport Lagos with no casualty. The aircraft had nine crew members on board.

The aircraft, with registration number Z-S00S, was said to be coming from Brussels, Belgium to Lagos, enroute Johannesburg when it crashed on the closed 1/9 right runway of the airport.

The runaway was closed to traffic last week Tuesday, so that it could undergo re-surfacing.

The Guardian gathered that the crash occurred at about 2.35am with the pilot and crew members of the ill-fated aircraft suffering minor shock and were later interviewed by the Accident Investigation Bureau (AIB) of the Ministry of Aviation.

The permanent secretary, Federal Ministry of Aviation, Mr. Tomi Oyelade who visited the scene of the crash confirmed to journalists that no life was lost in the crash.

He said that the accident investigators arrived immediately at the scene of the crash, stressing that they had commenced investigations.

According to him: "the cause of the accident shall be made known as soon as investigation is completed."

The Guardian also learnt from a top official of the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency (NAMA) that the aircraft wanted to make a stop over in Lagos to discharge some cargo, refuel and go back to Johannesburg when it crashlanded on the runaway.

Journalists were barred from going to the site of the crash, as airport authorities cited security reasons. Aviation sources have surprise over the crash.

But the spokesman for NAMA, Mr. Ben Goong who also confirmed the closure of the bad runway said that foreign and domestic airlines were notified on the bad runway, advising them to take the alternative ones.

He however informed that the AIPB has met with the crew of the airline and interviewed them to unravel why the aircraft landed on the bad runway.

He commended the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) fire fighters who quickly rushed to the scheme in case there was fire outbreak.

The insurance company, Hydro Air Cargo, owners of the aircraft, have already arrived to check the extent of damage to the aircraft.

The ministry of Aviation has suspended the air traffic controller on duty on the day of the crash.

It would be recalled that a Boeing 747 cargo aircraft belonging to M.K Airlines swirled and crashed in IPO village about 700 metres from the Port Harcourt International Airport almost two years ago.

The Boeing 747-200, operated by the United Kingdom-based airlines, crashed while trying to land in the coastal city of Port Harcourt. The crew was made up of Britons and Americans.

The aircraft had left Luxembourg for Johannesburg in South Africa via Port Harcourt.

Among those who visited the scene of the accident yesterday were the managing directors of NAMA, Alhaji Yusuf Mohammed, FAAN, Alhaji Sani Baba and the Director General of the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) Mr. Fidelix Onyeyiri

for 777 read 747 and this is what it use to look like (http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=460143&WxsIERv=Qm9laW5nIDc0Ny0yNThD&WdsYXMg=SHlkcm8gQWlyIENhcmdv&QtODMg=QnJ1c3NlbHMgLSBOYXRpb25hbCAoWmF2ZW50ZW0pIC8gTWVsc2Jyb 2VrIChCUlUgLyBFQkJSIC8gRUJNQik%3D&ERDLTkt=QmVsZ2l1bQ%3D%3D&ktODMp=T2N0b2JlciAxNywgMjAwMw%3D%3D&BP=0&WNEb25u=Q2hyaXN0b3BoZSBWYW4gTGludA%3D%3D&xsIERvdWdsY=WlMtT09T&MgTUQtODMgKE=TGFuZGluZyBvbiBSdW53YXkgMDI%3D&YXMgTUQtODMgKERD=NjM2&NEb25uZWxs=MjAwMy0xMS0xOA%3D%3D&static=yes&size=L)

akerosid
30th Nov 2003, 17:54
777? Z-S00S? 1/9 Right?

Ah, yes, good old Guardian!

(Last time I heard of 1/9, it was an old Fiat sports car!)

Mama Mangrove
30th Nov 2003, 20:25
I see that Little One and the NAMA spokesman both inferred that there was a NOTAM saying that the runway was closed for repairs. Does anyone know if that was the case?

Rani, you say that you have no informationregarding this incident besides a speculation. But then you say:

This is not the first (and probably not the last) time Lagos ATC screws up royally. In 1996, LOS Tower incompetence cost 149 people their lives (ADC 727 crash).
Is this also a speculation or is it based on official findings on the cause of the crash?

Rani
1st Dec 2003, 00:04
Mama mangrove,

The official report of the AIB was never released, and probably, will never be. I am amongst those who believe that LOS ATC cleared the ADC 727-200 to FL030 without realizing it was at FL240 (thus causing the head-on collision potential with the TRIAX 727, which was at FL160). If you recall, the captain overstretched the aircraft's limits in his evasive maneuvers, causing the a/c to spin and attain speed of sound in the dive to its doom.

I am aware, however, that the working conditions for Nigerian controllers are substandard (lack of radar coverage and inoperative ILS), in addition to their impoverishment and demotivation. This wasn't and shouldn't be excuse for lack of vigorous training and re-training of the controllers, since the lives of thousands of passengers in/out of LOS depend on their concentration and professionalism.

Nigerian aviation authorities are yet to show signs of change of attitude. The Hydro crash is yet another avoidable incident. Fortunately nobody died. :bored:

From THISDAY of Lagos:

Foreign Aircraft Crash-Lands in Lagos
By Ndubuisi Francis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A cargo aircraft belonging to Hydro Air Cargo, Brussels, Belgium weekend crash-landed at the international wing of the Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos. No Lives were lost.

The B747 aircraft with registration number ZS-OOS was enrouted Johannesburg, Sou-th Africa before it suffered the fate.

A statement issued by the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Aviation, Mr. Tomi Oyelade said the accident occurred at 2.35 am on Saturday, Nove-mber 29.

Already, accident investigators from the Accident Inves-tigation Bureau (AIB) unit of the ministry has commenced investigations into the accident.

Although the cause of the accident remained unknown as at press time yesterday, THISDAY gathered that seven people aboard the aircraft had been evacuated with some of them sustaining minor injuries.

It was also gathered that the 19R runway where the accident occurred has been temporarily closed pending the conclusion of investigations.

Sources told THISDAY that fire fighters responded with despatch to the accident.

The statement from the ministry added that the cause of the accident would be disclosed as soon as investigation is concluded.

The Aviation Minister, Mallam Isa Yuguda only Friday night travelled to Canada for an official engagement.

tired
3rd Dec 2003, 06:45
Can anyone confirm the names of the Hydro crew, and whether they're definitely OK? I've got a friend there, and he's not answering email at the moment.

Thanks for any gen.

t

Sleeping Freight Dog
3rd Dec 2003, 07:33
Has anyone seen any photos of the wreckage yet?
Its been almost a week and still no shots of the plane.
Has it been determine the A/C is a write-off??

ou Trek dronkie
3rd Dec 2003, 16:16
The captain was Paul Theron.

tired
4th Dec 2003, 05:40
Dankie meneer.

I gather everyone got out alright?

canileb
4th Dec 2003, 08:20
Apparently, they were cleared to land on 19R even after confirming with ATC the runway was indeed open (as a Notam indicated its closure). They hit the first obstacle at about 130 knots then a second one. They lost the nose and left main gears and skidded off the left side of the runway. I have seen the aircraft myself: all engines are still attached with #3 and 4 apparently intact but #1 and 2 have suffered damage. There is no sign of fire (as far as I can tell: I never got closer than 200 meters...). The ATC on duty fled the scene and was arrested the following morning...

Glad they are all ok.

Cheers

saaviator
4th Dec 2003, 18:09
Sleeping Freight Dog

This link is for you.

http://www.airdisaster.com/photos/zs-oos/photo.shtml

General Note to all:
I have been reading so many comments on this accident from the different Forums, and they are getting out of hand with all the "so called" information running around. I am referring to airliners.net forum and many others. The crew did a good job to keep it on a "even keel" and walk away from the aircraft. Sad about the aircraft.
MAY none of us - as fellow aviators judge the actions of the crew until the A.I.B has released their findings on the accident.
Well gents I am sorry if I stood on someones toes, but I had to give my pennies worth.

Regards to all who read pprune and may we all fly safely and have a very good Xmas.

gofor
4th Dec 2003, 18:27
Charlie

Were you there ? hope you are OK - thoughts are with you buddy!:ok:

saaviator
4th Dec 2003, 18:44
gofor

If the question was for me - No

Just like to keep my ear to the ground when it comes to aviation. I must say that when there is an accident or incident people are very quick to point fingers at the crew before getting the facts.

Enjoy :ok:

gofor
4th Dec 2003, 18:55
Saaavi8r
Message is for Charles La Hardy (SP?) p2 with Hydro - Hope it helps??

ou Trek dronkie
5th Dec 2003, 18:15
Dis 'n plesir Meneer.

Fortunately, no-one was hurt, but they must have been shaken of course.

The caption in the photo referred to above is not quite correct, they definitely hit a ditch which someone had carelessly left lying on the r/w.

If you go to the Rumours thread, 747@Lagos, Freightboss has just about got it word perfect I believe.

Seems to be little in the general press, but then that's normal after the first reports, it's only freight, so it don't matter, do it ?

oTd

tired
6th Dec 2003, 06:28
Nogmals dankie! Very pleased to hear it.

Ja, as you say, freight doesn't buy newspapers so the media isn't interested!

mass & bagagiste
8th Dec 2003, 02:14
Quotes from Sunday Business Times 07/12/03
“The Hydro Air Pilot twice told the air traffic controller that according to his notes the runway onto which he had been directed to land was under reconstruction. The controller denied this.” How could he not know?
“The runway appeared to be functioning normally, its lights were on navigation aids were working and there were no markings to indicate that it was unserviceable.” Why????
“Reports say the air traffic controller ran away, but was arrested the next morning.” Running where?
“We are operating in a highly competitive market, and in peak season aircraft and crews are not easy to come by. We are the only South African based cargo carrier competing in Europe and you can bet the opposition are more than ready to move in on our markets.”
Who would be the most likely competitor to get in on the market?
How could he not know? Running where? Who would be the most likely competitor to get in on the market?

Rani
8th Dec 2003, 02:57
You seem itching for answers, so here are my thoughts "answers":

On ATC Controller running away:
Probably, this particular controller wasn't paid a single Kobo since many months (maybe years? What's new, it's Nigeria). So he was showing up at work erratically (comprehensible reaction).
In a professional environment, the controller in question would review all the NOTAMS and necessary updates before taking a frequency. In a professional (normal) environment, FAAN would have turned off the runway lights and place large objects at the threshold of 19R to warn off accidental approaches. The fact that FAAN failed to train/retrain controllers, continues to treat its employees like desperate animals given the economic situation, and to seal the farce, fail to turn off a closed rwy's lights, is inviting new investigation into its profound shortcomings and general incompetence, especially in light of frequent accidents which cost hundreds of lives in the last 10 years alone (re: Hydro 747, ADC 727, etc.).
I sympathize with Hydro management, who obviously are making frantic efforts to ensure that their recent contracts aren't re-awarded to the likes of DAS Air Cargo and others who offer scheduled cargo srvcs. to/from Euro and are eager to swallow the fish.

Such is the reality in Nigeria, a land filled with opportunity and potential for some very handsome profit. At what cost though?
:eek:

gema
10th Dec 2003, 15:40
To all those still interested,

Thanks to those who made fair and unbiased comment. The Nigerian press is now providing the information as to who is liable and it is not the crew of the Hydro flight.

The acft should be lifted out of the donga sometime this morning and towed off to a remote stand for further assesment. The nose wheels and the 3 remaining bogeys all have fully inflated tyres. Starbord flaps are retracted and port flaps partially retracted. As can be appreciated, there are no hydraulics avialble so everything was done electrically or manually.

All the cargo has now been removed and clients should start receiving their goods from this afternoon. The delay in removal of the cargo was in fact a civil engineering task. The acft nose finally came to rest overhanging a 10ft donga running parralel with the rwy. The acft finished up listing to port with both No1&2 on the ground. The remaining bogeys had dug into the soft ground thus preventing the nose to drop deeper into this donga. They had to fill in this donga and build a ramp to the nose door (this acft only has a nose door)in order for the FMC to be positioned for offloading. The LD-9plts (belly fr8) was de-palletised inside the lower holds last week and removed to the warehouse. This in itself was an accomplishment.

To friends, colleagues, strangers and in general all who have supported us and our endeavours in these most trying of times for a fledging airline, I thank you for the support given.

We will be back.

Gema

Sleeping Freight Dog
13th Jan 2004, 02:39
It has been over a month since the aircraft was moved for
damage assessment. Has there been a determination
as to whether the aircraft will fly again?
If so, have repairs started and what is the current status
of the airframe?

doubleu-anker
13th Jan 2004, 17:43
I'm sorry but I just can't help feeling something is not right here.

I've been in and out of Lagos on and off for years and well aware of the inadequacies of the controllers but didn't think they were that stupid. In fact I think they did a good job all things considered.

What about proceeding heavy a/c and which runway were they cleared to land on?

Down there if you wanted an A/C taken out, getting them to land on the wrong/disused runway would be as good a way as any.

bluesafrica
13th Jan 2004, 18:00
Double Anker,
Exactly my thoughts as well...
Blues:E

chuks
14th Jan 2004, 00:04
I left Lagos on Monday, 22 December 2003 on a scheduled flight, as SLF. The 747 was parked up near our stand, so that we all got a good look at it as we taxied past. The left main gear seemed to be completely gone, just some part of a strut or something was dangling from the bay. Number One engine seemed to have a lot of damage to the bottom of the forward cowling and I think I can remember seeing some more damage to the various stuff on the trailing edge of the left wing. The rest of the landing gear appeared to be intact.

Some engineer friends told me they had seen digital photos of damage where the gear had been torn out of the spar, but that's just hearsay, since they had told me it was the center gear that was involved. They all said they thought the aircraft was a write-off (economically unrepairable) but that's just hearsay as well.

I heard the same rumours about an ATC screw-up but there was no firm information to hand when I left. The accident occurred in the wee hours of the morning, so that someone might have been tired enough to make a mistake, or perhaps there were mistakes on both sides. We will just have to wait for the report, I guess. At least in this case no one was hurt.

I really dislike the way people get all excited and start jumping in with wild stories (wing ripped off, controller ran away, etc.) without really knowing if they are true or not.

That ADC crash was followed with three or four positively, absolutely, no bullsh*t versions of what happened (hydraulic failure or loss of control due to near-miss and faulty control inputs were the two main ones). There just seems to be something about Africa that invites people to let their imaginations run wild. Well, the truth can be pretty weird, at times, but hardly anyone I know in the biz is a drug-running cannibal. There was this one guy, but he went back to Europe....

4HolerPoler
6th Dec 2006, 01:08
Scary what two years parked outside in Lagos does to an aircraft:

Before: http://eu.airliners.net/photos/photos/8/3/9/0418938.jpg :O

After: http://eu.airliners.net/photos/photos/7/5/6/1022657.jpg :eek:

Anyone know if there was ever a finding or a settlement?

4HP