PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted for budding Engineer (Australia)

Waypoint 74
29th Nov 2003, 14:16
Hi All,
I'm 30 years old and wish to pursue aircraft engineering in the Electrical/Instrument/Radio fields. I have worked in the aviation industry for the past 10 years as a pilot (novelty has worn off!) but would like to be able fix as well as fly - especially with the demand for a/c engineers.I like electronics and so believe I should go this direction.I have a college lined up to do my theory and exams but am concerned about where I will get SOE time to get qualified.I would like to go rotary if possible but fixed wing would also suit if I can't break into choppers.
I know my age will probably not help in terms of getting initial work but I am very keen to go down this path.
Can anyone offer advice as to companies I may approach for experience? Or should I just start knocking on doors? Anyone!

Thanks in advance.
W 74:ok:

30/30 Green Light
1st Dec 2003, 13:15
W 74,you don't say where you may be looking.The problem which you face will not be so much your age ,as the perception that you are filling in time until you want to go flying again.There are significant costs involved for both yourself and any prospective employer and that employer will want to see a return on his investment.Your best bet may be a remote located operator who will be able to utilise your flying skills whilst helping you to learn your chosen trade.Make no mistake,you are in for a significant investment of time,as there is a big difference between holding a Licence and knowing how to use one,and that means experience.Anyway,good luck in your endeavours,the money might not be that good but it's certainly an interesting business.

Zorg
4th Dec 2003, 22:05
W74 If you are looking to do a greensteam job then you do not have to have a lisence. If electrical and instruments you are looking to do then you will only be able to find a job in an overhaul shop. Most bigger companies will only employ I&E as apprentises, and being 30 and a pilot that leaves you pretty much out of luck unless you know people. I must agree with 30/30 if you are looking for a bit of a change until flying interests you again then you are looking at a very costly alternative.
All this being said I could be wrong and you could make a great ginger beer, I have been wrong in the past and im sure to be again :D
Best of luck

Waypoint 74
6th Dec 2003, 09:27
30/30 & Zorg,
Thanks for your info, presently I am working in Northern WA but would like to move back East, anywhere between Cairns & Melbourne would be fine, can either of you suggest any companies that may be worth contacting? - if so perhaps you'd like to PM me those details!? Do you think if I want to pursue engineering that engines/airframe would be an easier path to take (than E&I), as it has generally broader opportunities/easier to get experience?
Zorg, can't say I'm familiar with the term "greensteam job" care to ellaborate?
Thanks again for the info, any additional info/opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers,
W74:D