View Full Version : Qantas inflight security

frangatang
29th Nov 2003, 13:49
can anyone tell me what qantas inflight patrol policy is?
i was on a QF21 from syd to nrt the other night and when the meal service was over l spent over 3 hours at the back of the aircraft stretching etc and sitting on the jumpseat by door 4 left.
the aircraft was a747 300 with no cabin crew bunks.
In that 3 hours not once did l see any cabin crew member patrol the aisles or check any toilets. nor did they do any drinks rounds,the ones not on their breaks chose to hide in the curtained of galley areas. Qantas appear to have forgotten the shoebomber incident

TRF4EVR
29th Nov 2003, 15:07
Yes, I have specifics on all security procedures on Quantas aircraft, and would be more than happy to have a nice long chat about them with you.

Please contact me at [email protected]! Hope to hear from you soon.

GalleyHag
29th Nov 2003, 17:47
What you have explained is not Qantas policy and I suggest you take it up directly with the company. PM me if you would like the contact and address information.

Wonderworld
30th Nov 2003, 06:42
Door 4L isnt at the back of the aircraft for a start! :=

V8trolley
30th Nov 2003, 10:55
Biscuit Chucker,

Have another look at the email address TRF4EVR supplied :p

ozskipper
30th Nov 2003, 11:04
Yeah, but have a look at the location..... I'm always a little dubious of .gov.au email addresses on here.....

frangatang
30th Nov 2003, 12:22
Biscuit Chucker.If l am sitting in a seat and cant move my legs and the joker next to me weighing 15 stone is snoring,passing wind and leaning on my side then l can certainly move around in calm atmospheric conditions to relieve my symptoms of DVT!

red rat
30th Nov 2003, 13:44
what a joke!!! Security it's everybodies business that campaign is just hilarious LOL!!!!

Security is not good enough!!!!! better shutup before i get drilled for talking about security Aaaagh! Dr Phil? am i on drugs?

peanut pusher
1st Dec 2003, 12:46
Was it the 19th you travelled on the 21 ?
I operated on the NRT 4 day trip. Every NRT trip has over 200 Japanese school kids at the back for the last 4 weeks,
L4 is the CSS jump seat, so I can't imagine the CSS not noticing you, during the flight on the 19th I made my way through the cabin to the back at least 10 times during the dead of night. That was me with my torch dodging feet in the isle.
Sorry but some pax require sleeping time at 2 or 3 am EST, departure is 2215 from memory so we tend to make it dark as possible and patrol the cabin every few minutes, maybe some one cut you some slack for a little stretch break and some comfort.

frangatang
1st Dec 2003, 13:06
It was the fold down seat at 5 left,my original post was written
in jet lagged wakefulness at 2am! Regardless of where l was sitting to stretch my legs,there was sod all patrolling going on.
As for the service,the japanese cabin crew were smiling,friendly, and extremeley courteous,as opposed to the australian honkies.
And yes l counted at least 295 japanese kids in the terminal building!

edited by flyblue
"honkies", frangatang??? Don't be surprised if someone reacts badly at your (honest I believe) attempt of discussion. What about editing that word?

flyblue

capt cynical
2nd Dec 2003, 12:31
Edited by flyblue

Captain Cynical this post is not in spirit with this Forum. If you have something to say do it in a CONSTRUCTIVE manner or shut up. PLAY THE BALL NOT THE PLAYER.
Thank you to all the members for not answering this kind of provoking posts

flyblue

capt cynical
3rd Dec 2003, 16:51
Flyblue, were you ever a school teacher ?

flyblue
3rd Dec 2003, 20:02
No, but I' the Mod HERE

TRF4EVR
9th Dec 2003, 19:43
BiscuitChecker:

That was my yank idea of humor. I don't know the first thing about Qantas security, nor if I were to have such knowledge would I share it with someone on the internet.

blueloo
10th Dec 2003, 05:08
The NRT runs from Sydney are usually full of super senior cabin crew who have no concept (painting with a large brush here) about working - they merely go to collect yen and come home. QF management are aware of the problem however hands are tied by unions etc (hence the occasional voluntary redunancies aimed at removing the dead wood).

As a crewmember it is often noticeable - unfortunately, I do not think QF can be seriously bothered about fixing the problem so in the short term at least the it will not go away.

Of course this does not apply to everyone, there are some excellent cabin crew out there, it is just rare to get many of them on super senior trips.

(And yes from my experience the QF Japanese and QF Thai cabin crew are generally excellent they are vastly more polite - the QF Thai cabin crew even outperformed the locals in EP's training on the day i saw them in action)

ozskipper
10th Dec 2003, 15:11
I must admit I find the whole seniority / bidding arrangement to be quite a unique process (I mean across industry as opposed to just within the airline biz).

I'm surprised that the unions don't take on a more paternal approach and push for a fairer bidding system.

I remember not so long ago flying SYD-NRT and there was clearly no distribution of age / experience - all the crew were mid to late 40's (I'm not ageist, just an observation, so no flying off collective handles) and there was one crew member that was so awful that my partner and I actually hoped we wouldn't have to deal with him.

He couldn't be bothered with the safety demo and it was only half completed - just clearly didn't want to be there.

On the other hand, I've only flown to NRT once so this was probably a one off, but I've flown the LAX and LHR milk run plenty of times and usually found the crew to be friendly, accommodating and willing to help. Mind you, I'm a pretty easy pax, I don't ask for anything, and I say please and thank you!

Anyway, like I say, I'm surprised that the union is not more supportive of a more equitable bidding system!