PDA

View Full Version : Eyesight

derrick holmes
29th Nov 2003, 12:33
Is there any pilot out there who is wearing a single contact lense to correct far sightedness?An occulist has informed me that it is possible to correct one eye to be able to read small print,whilst the other eye retains its far sightedness.She says that such patients are able to drive a motor vehicle,but is uncertain as to how it would affect a pilot's depth perception.
Old age !!!!
Regards,
Derrick Holmes

Flyin'Dutch'
29th Nov 2003, 14:30
Hi Derrick,

I know that the FAA do not allow this for the exact reason you mention. They quote that they have had a few people come to grief using them and therefore ban it.

Don't know about the CAA or the club responsible for giving out medical certificates in your neck of the woods (see you quote that as Mauritius) so it will pay to found out what the local rules are.

HTH

FD

MidnightSpecial
1st Dec 2003, 00:36
A few years ago Delta had a flight crash short of the runway at La Guardia. The captain was wearing, illegally, these type of lenses. He lost depth perception in the rain at night.

MS

ALEXA
1st Dec 2003, 22:52
This is called monovision, and it isn't allowed under JAR FCL.

I know because I discussed this on the phone with the chief optometrist at the CAA (at Gatwick) before getting my class 2. I did't ask about Class 1, but if it isn't allowed for amateurs...