PDA

View Full Version : Locked Out

shaky
29th Nov 2003, 01:02
My system is XPpro installed on a single machine with me as the sole user/administrator. All has been well until tonight I needed to change the security level of a website via IE6/tools/internet options which presented me with the following warning.

RESTRICTIONS : Thiis operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.Please contact your system administrator.

I am still logged on as administrator and I still appear to retain all my admin priviledges such as add/remove programmes and add/remove hardware and in fact I can still access internet options via start/control panel/internet options or by IE6/help/options/internet options.

In other words I can make the changes I want to make but not by the most obvious or convenient route. I have not needed to use this facility for some time so I have no idea when IE6 started to do this. Any suggestions most welcome

TR4A
29th Nov 2003, 02:47
If you are using spybot search and destroy open it and goto immunize icon, at bottom of page un-check the option that protects ie explorer. then goto file, exit, close currently open explorer windows. then reopen new window and tools should work properly.

shaky
29th Nov 2003, 03:31
It never ceases to amaze me - less than an hour after posting the answer is there.

Thanks TR4A. Used to own one of them by the way but had to sell it when I joined the RAF - £25 I got for it.

Sensible
29th Nov 2003, 18:34
TR4A I congratulate you on your brilliance, I spent 50+ minutes on the phone to Microsoft Support a couple of days ago, here is the e-mail I received afterwards. It's forrtunate that I read your post before finding the time to do a clean install!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Sir,

How are you doing ? It was my pleasure to work with you on your issue today. I really appreciate your patience and time devoted to work as a time together with me throughout the call. In this email I am providing a summary of the key points for your records.

My name is Rohit, I am a Support Professional here at Microsoft; and we spoke earlier today. Since we were not able to fix your issue, I will be closing this case as "not resolved" as I have already confirmed with you.

The following is what we were able to accomplish today:

ACTION : We tried to open the internet explorer

RESULT : We were getting a message " This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."

CAUSE : We had some administrator account set on the computer

STATUS : We have to go for Clean installation to erase all the rights..

The following article from the Microsoft Knowledge Base can help you to learn how to better search for answers yourself using the same database as a Support Professional:

242450.KB.EN-US Tips About How to Query the Microsoft Knowledge Base
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;242450

Information about this can also be found on the 'Advanced Search' page of Support Online. http://support.microsoft.com
You will then be able to more easily find information about Microsoft products using the Microsoft knowledge base.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding this case send email to [email protected] and be sure to include your case number <<SRX>> as the subject line of your email. Also if you need more assistance from Microsoft Support, on this or any other issue, please don't hesitate to call us back
. If it is the same issue please reference your existing case number.

Thank you again for choosing Microsoft.

Rohit Singh Parimar
Platforms Support Desktop
Microsoft Corporation
Phone: 08706010100
[email protected]

TR4A
30th Nov 2003, 01:59
You're welcome.

Here is the web site that talks about it.

http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=knowledgebase/faq/faq024