PDA

View Full Version : ISPs

BUMPFF
28th Nov 2003, 13:53
Can anyone recommend a reliable ISP that supports Outlook Express?

I've been with virgin.net since day one but the service of late seems to be tottering. Receipt of multiple emails are erratic and the system often fails to recognise my own account, also the very expensive 24/7 support phone line hasn't been of any help and it takes an age for someone to answer the call.

Broadband hasn't yet arrived in my village.

fobotcso
28th Nov 2003, 17:05
BT Openworld

Telewest

flyingwysiwyg
28th Nov 2003, 19:38
www.dial.pipex.com (http://www.dial.pipex.com)

F - Wyg

Front_Seat_Dreamer
29th Nov 2003, 03:18
http://www.totalise.net

BEagle
29th Nov 2003, 15:48
I've also been with Virgin.net since 1999 and recently chnaged to Broadband with them.

I agree that the service has been problematic for the last month; hours without e-mail, Proadband connection failure, etc - but that seems now to have been finally sorted out....??

Fujiflyer
29th Nov 2003, 16:39
I used to be with Virgin but I got fed up with emails going astray and cancelled the account. That was in 1999. Flyer were okay - reliable email but poor dial up performance.

I've been with Pipex for a couple of months and they have been good so far. I do notice though that of late they change IP frequently (anything from a few minutes to hourly for eg).

BEagle
1st Dec 2003, 12:17
Virgin.net are obviously still having difficulties:

"You may currently be experiencing broadband service degradation.
Virgin.net have taken a number of steps to improve their broadband service at present:
Virgin.net has temporarily stopped accepting new Virgin.net Broadband customers.
Virgin.net have contacted a proportion of their broadband customers and requested that they reduce their usage to a maximum of 1gigabyte per day and 5 gigabytes per week. (This is enough to surf approximately 40,000 Internet pages and collect approximately 10,000 emails each day).
Virgin.net's first obligation is to our existing broadband customers and these two measures should ensure a significant improvement in broadband service performance.
Please bear with us whilst these measures take effect"

Plus there are service issues with their 24Seven dial-up service as well....

Meanwhile they appear to be doing very little to stem the flow of spam plaguing their customers.

Under-resourced and lacking technical competence?