PDA

View Full Version : A Hindustan what?

PANews
28th Nov 2003, 07:27
A news report out Thursday and apparently announced by the manufacturer stated that India's state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) has clinched a deal to sell ten advanced light helicopters (ALHs) to the US Customs through its Israeli marketing partner.

Negotiations are said to be at an advanced stage to finalise the deal for supplying the civil variant of the helicopter called Dhruv - so clinched is clearly an advanced statement!

But does anyone have any idea why the US Customs would want to buy the Dhruv? A type certainly not yet certified in the US ... and potentially never even seen in the US yet.

It certainly seems that far from being 'clinched' the ink is still in the pen.

Anyone heard anything from any other sources?

407 Driver
28th Nov 2003, 07:49
Behold, a Dhruv....

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORCES/Army/Images2/0426.jpg

What a unique design, I've never seen ANYTHING like it in the western world :p :p :p

PANews
28th Nov 2003, 16:58
But why would US Customs buy 10 of those and not say a Bell 412?

Politics?

Red Wine
28th Nov 2003, 18:00
Was priviledged to be given the opportunity to "sit" in the test machine years ago.....it seems like a well designed and laid out aircraft.

And if it is destined for the US....Politics.!!!

But Hey...I'm a 412 driver!!!!

Autorotate
29th Nov 2003, 02:21
The press release is a major screw up and fopaah by HAL. Their only contact with Customs has been a request by Customs for more information. The DHRUV is not even FAA approved yet and would have to be so before Customs even considers it as the Blackhawk replacement.

I know for a fact that IAI and other management have many many plates of egg on their face over this one as an internal source slipped out a supposed press release that wasnt even approved by higher ups.

Saying that the aircraft seems like it is very capable. It will be at Asian Aerospace and IAI and HAL have got together to promote it to the civvy world.

Autorotate

md 600 driver
29th Nov 2003, 12:59
heres the same one painted different
http://www.helispot.com/photos/00957.html