PDA

View Full Version : Bonus Mystery Plane Quiz, Nov 27

seacue
28th Nov 2003, 05:04
An easy mystery plane (http://users.erols.com/rcarpen/q6.JPG) quiz to build your confidence for the weekend.

SC

karrank
28th Nov 2003, 05:56
Boeing YB-9. I think they only made 7 or 8 of them, originating from a Boeing design without a military spec (originally Y1B-9). Never saw service, but crapped on the performance of the quaint US fighters of the time.

treadigraph
28th Nov 2003, 06:01
Not entirely certain... but... Martin Maryland? (Said he, ripping frantically through Les Grande Bible des Aeronautiques... Nope, can't find it). Martin anyway. I think...

Oooops, just seen Krankies post - don't know whether he's right but suspect that he's most of a continent closer than me!

LowNSlow
29th Nov 2003, 02:54
Is it a Bolero? Boeing I think......

pigboat
29th Nov 2003, 04:59
Boeing YB-9.
Total of seven built, six with R1830 Pratts, and one the Y1B-9 with liquid cooled powerplants.

seacue
29th Nov 2003, 06:13
The Winna Is: everyone who said the YB-9.

If you look carefully, you'll note I scrubbed out a P-26 which was above the B-9. This picture appeared many places.

Martin produced what became the B-10 which was better plane so Boeing didn't get a production contract. The B-10 could outrun essentially any pursuit plane of the early / mid 1930s. It was obsolete by WW2.

I'm impressed that Martin sold way over 100 B-10 or 12, even at the depths of the Depression. And then they went on with the Maryland and the B-26.

They also built the 3 original flying boat Clippers for PanAm and the various Navy sea planes during roughly this period.

Martin was certainly on a roll at the time.

SC