PDA

View Full Version : New Repaints: BY(Thomson) and MON A300

EGCC
28th Nov 2003, 04:28
Hi guys,

G-BYAS has recently been repainted in the Thomson 'billboard' colour scheme. Your opinions?

G-BYAS Thomson Livery (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/464511/L/)

Also, Monarch A300 G-MONS has now had the new livery applied and looks rather smart in my opinion.
G-MONS New Monarch Livery (http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.cgi?156684)

EGCC

johnwalton
28th Nov 2003, 04:41
Both improvements on their predecessors!

Advocatus diaboli
28th Nov 2003, 06:27
One aeroplane. Three company decals. Sounds like a damn silly idea to me. Bound to confuse the punters. Loved by lazy marketeers, and graphic design companies, who get at least 3 fees for what should be the price of 1.

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
28th Nov 2003, 07:04
Glance very quickly at Thomson.Co.UK and could be very easily
read as Thomas Cook

Love the Monarch scheme very smart

Golf India Bravo

Localiser Green
28th Nov 2003, 07:05
Monarch A300 looks sharp :ok:

Also provides a hint as to what the A330s will look like post paint shop.

Anyone know when the A330s are due for a spray? Presumably the current quiet Winter season might provide an opportunity for at least one of the two to be done?

I seem to recall someone saying both would be in the new colours by April 04....

egnxema
28th Nov 2003, 16:08
Love the Monarch Scheme - very sharp!

And Golf India Bravo - I totally agree!! I had a second look and you are right!!

Thom s Co k

With a max of 4 letters, complete the above to spell 2 large, competing vertically intergrated tour ops.

Answers on a postcard to:

What a big mess TUI are making.
PO BOX 757
Luton Airport
Deutschland
:ok:

LGS6753
29th Nov 2003, 03:17
How sad that Britannia, the symbol of this fair land, has been relegated to an afterthought by the German bosses at TUI. The new TUI livery always was pretty awful, and this is just naff.

As for MON - a great improvement. Nothing radical, but a modest updating by a thoroughly professional outfit. The more I see of MON, the more impressed I am. The new scheme looks good on all the types that carry it.

Caslance
29th Nov 2003, 03:48
When Monarch first announced the new livery there was a mock-up of an A330 in the scheme on their website.

It looked very smart indeed.:ok:

Least said about the Britannia/Thomson/TUI offering, the better IMHO.:ooh:

MerchantVenturer
29th Nov 2003, 05:07
I think the Thomson livery is awful and what's more I showed the photo to my wife and she thinks the livery is awful as well, so it must be!

Monarch is good.

BTW can any Britannia flight deck officer tell me how passengers will be greeted in future. Will it be something like, "Welcome on board this Thomson Boeing 757 operated by Britannia Airways"?

If so, a bit of a mouthful, methinks.

A great shame because of all the UK charter airlines, I have travelled with Britannia more than any other and invariably had an enjoyable experience.

I hope the service will not go the same way as the colour scheme - downhill.

In fact, I'm flying with them next week so I shall be able to see for myself. I note the photo of G-BYAS was taken at BRS yesterday so conceivably she might be the based aircraft for the next few days.

eurostar builder
29th Nov 2003, 15:09
Showed my wife and she said who are they !!!

Frankfurt_Cowboy
29th Nov 2003, 18:53
I won't show my wife because she'd like it and would recognise the logo as well. Can't have her proving a point can we?

eurostar builder
30th Nov 2003, 12:21
Whoops from a spotting webpage...

G-BYAS B752 BAL Thomas Cook titles parked on
stand 180

then followed by...

G-BYAS B752 BAL ** Correction aircraft wearing
Thomson Co . UK titles**

Capn Notarious
1st Dec 2003, 00:57
As Self Loading Freight, Britannia's original livery was right.
The brand image has been spoilt. what has happened: is the meddling of bean counters.

WHBM
1st Dec 2003, 03:26
Part of the problem is that the German tour operators, renowned for losing large sums, saw their efficient British counterparts and felt by merging the two they would gain the insight on how to do it.

Unfortunately this forgets the German management style, which is to impose the "one way, our way" approach on everything, and to ignore any contribution from elsewhere. Result : wasted investment.

Oh, and the new BY livery looks a mess too. I wonder where it was designed ......??

eurostar builder
1st Dec 2003, 12:05
Oh, and the new BY livery looks a mess too. I wonder where it was designed ......??

Play school ?

WHBM
1st Dec 2003, 22:31
There's also a more fundamental issue about liveries which Monarch have got right and TUI have not (what a surprise!).

From back in the 1950s when most aircraft were natural metallic all over, BOAC strugged with keeping cabin tempertures down in the tropics, and found that painting the fuselage top white was a significant help in reflecting the sun. By the 1960s virtually all airlines had white tops. Although air conditioning became more effective, the white top still enabled the load on the system to be much reduced.

In recent years dark tops (usually blue) have come more into fashion, generally where designed by stylists without an aeronautical engineering background (these also seem to be the people who write names right across the window line, not realising they look different in real life to the studio model).

Additionally, I seem to recall in the AAIB report on the BA 747 that came close to letting down onto a BMI A320 lined up at Heathrow a few years ago in low visibility, that the report commented adversely on the dark colour of the BMI fuselage top which allowed it to blend into the grey background more easily than white would have done. I always thought BMI would change their livery after that comment.