PDA

View Full Version : When can she fly?

Dantruck
28th Nov 2003, 02:44
My missus will return to the UK for major surgery, a hysterectomy, early next year. She will be a passenger aboard a 737/757-type aircraft travelling from Spain.

Two questions:

At least how long before the op' should she plan to arrive? (I'm thinking of the affects of anaesthetics and such-like)

and more importantly...

How long after such an op' might she be fit to fly?

Of course, we'll be taking first hand medical advice when the time comes. For now it would just be useful to know what sort of minimums to plan for.

Thanks
Dan

Flyin'Dutch'
28th Nov 2003, 19:31
How long is a piece of string?

Hysterectomy is major pelvic surgery and as such carries an increased risk of DVTs.

Most people reckon that after 6 weeks you should be OK and back to 'normal'

Most patients actually manage to do better than that and are able to do most daily activities well before that. Especially if they had a vaginal hysterectomy or laparoscopic hysterectomy.

Flying to/from Spain is around the 3 hour mark and as such would normally not be associated with the risks of DVTs which have attracted more attention (but ?proven) over the last 24 months or so.

So as per usual there is the information and you can now make up your own mind. As you say probably good idea to the ask the medicine men/ladies involved in the care of your missus when the time arises.

HTH

FD

gingernut
1st Dec 2003, 22:56
There's an AME working in Northern England (Cheshire/Manchester), who should be able to give you a specific answer. He lectures to GP's and nurses "on the circuit," specifically on this subject.

I went to one of his talks a few years ago, and I was surprised to find that the period of time post operatively required prior to flying was quite short. The main risk appeared to involve internal pockets of air expanding as ambient pressure decreases. I can remember Boyles Law, but can't tell you how long you will have to wait !!

If you contact me through a private message, I shall give you his name.