PDA

View Full Version : CAL interview (merged)

320guy
28th Nov 2003, 02:09
Does anyone have any info on the CAL interview? What particulars may they be looking for etc.... I have also read about the expate info line. Can someone shed some light on this. Can you just call if you have questions regarding hiring and things of that nature. What is the number ?.

Thanks

Jim Morehead
28th Nov 2003, 05:19
320Guy...
There were two similar threads about the CAL interview,so I'll take a shot at answering you both.

I can only give you my experience from back in February of this year. Mine seemed to be typical and I have talked to about 20 people who have done the process.

I first would make sure I was rested and in TPE as they ask you to be. You should stay at the current hotel which is the Asia World. The staff are nice people and the hotel is not the Taj Mahal. It is currently under renovation and will be affiliated with Holiday Inn in December, so lots of banging going on.

If you come in on CAL, I would make contact with the pilot crew or let the cabin crew know that you are going to an interview. In my case, I never saw the guys,but a few times it has become known. They might be able to get you a ride to downtown where the Crew center/simulator and interview is. The hotel is a short ride 1 1/2 from the Crew Center which is located on the TPE domestic Airport downtown.

I would ask the front desk where the Crew Lounge is and meet anyone who is willing to talk. Most pilots will talk more if you bring a six-pack to the 15th Floor! Green Cans preferred. (may be purchased at a close 7-11 or welcome store with credit card)

The alternative and perhaps favored if anyone comes with you or you have lots of luggage is to take the Green and White Free Go Bus (not free,but cheap) to the hotel.

Before the interview for 2-3 weeks, I would not drink large quantities of alcohol as this will not help your medical score. This will be very difficult for most pilots <bg>!

If your interview process starts on a Monday, then the interview is first in the morning and you do a quick written quiz. Know the difference in an ILS and an a REIL. KNow how they paint runways and know what happens in any airplane when the bank increases. (G load increase and drinks fall off of the trays).The questions are fairly simple for anyone who has a Commerical/Instrument/ATP.

The interview is an opportunity for you to tell them about your exploits and accomplishments and them to ask you questions.I found it very friendly, interesting, and a chance to you to tell them why you want to work in Taipei and for CAL. I think they'll tell you everything you want to know (although most can be found on this forum) about CAL.

I am sure every interview is different,but they'll probably ask you when could you start or you could ask THEM the same question. By that I mean, the process takes a month to evaluate you (most do survive) and then they have to do some Taiwan security checks which I recall take 4-6 weeks. I would guess that CAL is booked up with classes for 2-3 months anyway,so it is nothing like starting "this week". There was plenty of time to notify one's employer assuming you are currently working.

In my case, Tuesday was the simulator check andit was everything a PC should be. I had no idea of their checklists since I had never seen them. Their procedures are clearly different and actually CAL follow Boeing more closely than my previous employer. The bottom line is that they give you problems to make you go hold, watch you do checklists,and see if you can get the airplane back on the ground.

I personally asked some of the guys how they did and all they knew is that they got a 3 of 5 or a "C" which is all you want. My check airman was friendly and very experienced and I must have convinced him of a few things.

The medical is spread over 2 days and it is very extensive (see above). I think the medical may lose a few more than the rest combined. The Taiwan government administers the physicals and if something is wrong, you'll have the opportunity to fix it and take a recheck.

I found to be a good experience and CAL needs pilots, so if you want to work a lot, I would apply. Let me know if you need anything more specific. I may or may not know the answer.

LittleFokker
28th Nov 2003, 17:23
Jim,

Any idea where I can find more information about their medical? I have some severe hearing loss in one ear, which is not a problem for a class 1 (FAA standards), But what about for Taiwan standards? I will appreciate if you can point me towards the right direction.

LF

Jim Morehead
29th Nov 2003, 02:43
LF
You ask a good question. In Taiwan the government medical service (my words) issues physicals every six months. CAL schedules them in our monthly schedule and CAL makes the apoointments with them as they do for New Pilot physicals. CAL does pay for them in both cases. I understand that the agencies will charge you for the physicals and their costs if you apply, are accepted, and then don't take the job. This is but another reason that being a direct hire is a plus.

If CAL were to hire you and you have some problem either initially or later,CAL will work with you. In my case, I had to do a heart scan again. It worked out in the end,but certainly no guarantees here or in any country.

I would presume that they have a range of acceptable standards usually based on age. Older people do slow down and some things rise better than others when you get old. (Like blood pressure). Eyes and hearing do get worse with most people and I think that is factored into the medical standards.

I looked at my medical and saw no e-mail or web site. But the mailing address is:
Diretor General
Civil Aeronautics Administration
Ministry of transportation and Communications
Republic of China

You can probably get the Airport Address from the back of an OAG or on the web. The CAA building is located on the Sungshan Airport (TSA-TPE domestic airport right accross from the terminal building. The medical offices are in the LEFT UPPER SIDE of the same domestic terminal building and that is the locattion of the doctors and nurses who do the medicals. Most of the nurses and doctors speak fluent English.

Also, I am not sure what help the ex-pat office can give in finding the medical standards. I would write or call to them to see. If you have the qualifications they are seeking, they'll certainly help you in getting through o.k.

You are correct that the US standards are lower than Taiwan. My hearing must be bad also because my wife says I never listen to her!

The only limitations I have are that I have to wear glasses all of the time and it is on the medical.

Let me know if that helps.

LittleFokker
29th Nov 2003, 13:44
Jim,

Thank you for the information. I was kind of hoping have access to what it would be the FAA part 67 equivalent. But I think my best shot is to contact them directly.

Thank you again for your help,

LF

Jim Morehead
30th Nov 2003, 03:15
LF...I would contact them directly and state your situation. Perhaps the Medical department or the CAA would have the "standards". It might be on the web somewhere under Taiwan GOV or somewhere.

I also heard in from an outside source that CAL interview slots may be filled for the rest of the year. Of course, it is almost December anyway. I am not sure that the office has any extra days off or closures during the Christmas holiday or New Year's Holidays.

I remember from earlier this year that the office at CAL does close for a 5-6 day period over Chinese New Year's.

FWIW, I heard that expats can plan to fly over that week <bg>!

I thnk it is a festive and colorful celebration ,so I might be there for part of it!

Hachiouji-shi
30th Nov 2003, 13:29
Dear Jim, Please check your PMs, thanks!

320guy
2nd Dec 2003, 05:23
I know that this is a repeat question, just looking for a bit more info. Does anyone have any current info on the CAL interview and what approach to they take, ie: technical vs. personal and what type of questions are they throwing at ya? Second question is how much is housing in TPE? I have been online to try to get an idea, but a wide variety on amounts comes out. Can someone live there on the F/O allowence and if not, how much can someone expect to pay (3 bedroom nothing fancy).

Thanks to those for prior info.

320guy

jet4hire
2nd Dec 2003, 05:27
Your information is really appreciated!!!

Hello Jim, would you recommend any or a particular book to prep for the quiz in order to get the perfect score??? any sim -profile to be review. Thank you!

Cheers

:O

Jim Morehead
2nd Dec 2003, 11:01
ON the sim profile,someone sent it to me a year+ ago. I think the hiring agencies have it and I know it was posted here before.

It's really a two hour ride and I can do the brief part of the 744 part here.
This part is like my former company also.

You'll start engines and taxi out. On takeoff, a minor problem develops. You have to return,but I think they do a holding pattern first. You can either direct the F/O (Captain in reverse if you are the F/O) to build the hold or do it yourself. I don't think they care. Remember it has been a year!

Then you'll make an approach. Somewhere you'll get a go around and lose an engine. Follow the checklists and then it is a landing. There is a an engine out on takeoff and somewhere a VOR or NDB approach. I think it was VOR.

Then for Captains, another engine on the same side will quit and you have to get it on the ground. I think one of the engines will have a fire and you'll have to evacuate.

Much of this is just to make sure that you actually flew the airplane one time in your life and to check your CRM. If you use catchy terms like,"what do you think" and "how does that look to you"; you'll do fine.

You'll not know their checklists and it is a bit awkward,but they are not looking for that. I personally know no one who has not passed the check,but I have heard of some. I believe it is done in the airplane to which you will potentially be hired in.

JIM

Jim Morehead
2nd Dec 2003, 11:05
320 GUY
My interview was nothing technical and all personal. They want to know about you and you can ask them anything you want.

I think the housing allowance (reviewed once per year) is $1100.
I don't think that will cover living alone in a 3 bedroom especially living in downtown TPE which some believe is an expensive city. It all depends on what you are used to.
I am told you can live out in the suburbs much cheaper,but there is far less to do. Most expats do NOT have their families here.

pitotman
3rd Dec 2003, 07:55
Hi Jim,

Thank you for all your insight! It, I believe is a fair assessment of your working conditions and that is all any of us ask....! I am in the same boat as 320guy.....fact I have a feeling he is an Air Canada guy as well.....!

CAL is in Vancouver this week! My interview is on Thursday and like 320Guy I am trying to find more about the Technical quiz that I hear we have to write......! Being that I have been lazy in my approach to life at AC I am now finding out how lazy I have truly been on the old -400 for the last 3 years! Can you confirm that this first interview is primarily a meet n greet to see if they want to us to come to Taipei for further? Quiz? Yes or no and if yes... what is it about and how much weight does it carry? Is it a multiple choice quiz? Or is it long hand?

See I want to put forth the effort and I have been in the books.....however if it is anything like the CX process then a heads up is appreciated! We Canadians whether it is right or wrong love to be spoon fed.......:ok:

But we make good drivers and I believe their is at least 8-10 of us out of the 30 guys they are interviewing this week that are keen to come and work for a living!

If anyone can offer any insight it would be much appreciated and would result in a few beverages .........(currency of pilots):p

Thanks in advance,
Cormac Ward
[email protected]

SAW
3rd Dec 2003, 12:42
Has anyone got any info to whether there is or isn't a tech quiz during CAL's first interview? To those interviewing in YVR how many are there any rough numbers? Good luck to all of us.

pitotman
3rd Dec 2003, 13:25
I was told by Amy Lin that there was 30 interviews.........still no idea what this tech quiz is about...........

Good Luck I am on Thursday!
Cormac

SAW
3rd Dec 2003, 23:56
Pitotman,

Thanks if I hear anything between today and tommorow I'll let ya know. Are you dealing straight through China or are you Asia Pacific ? From what I understand almost everyone is endorsed with exceptions of the odd one.

Cheers

jet4hire
4th Dec 2003, 00:15
Jim morehead, Thank you mate!

Happy landings!
And please let me know if you run into some info for the Quiz.

Cheers,
:O

Jim Morehead
4th Dec 2003, 14:44
I wouldn't worry about the written 20 question test. There must be some requirement to conduct a written test. I remember being handed the test and then they called me into a conference room to interview with the board of 6. Then he went into the room and I completed my test. They were just common ordinary aviation questions and had little relevance to today's world. I must have passed as I am here!

LittleFokker
5th Dec 2003, 09:58
Hello to everyone,

I guess that the first group did their interview today, mine is tomorrow, still wondering about the "test" or the overall process if anyone wants to share some light it will be greatly appriciated.

thanks

lf

Jim Morehead
5th Dec 2003, 10:50
If you are in town for an interview,I'll look for the best dressed guys that have suits on.

Today at noon is free food in the crew center as the 747-200 Chief Pilot retires and DEC is the last month for the remaining 742 Freighter.

Jim Morehead
5th Dec 2003, 12:12
Good luck to you guys. I had heard that the Personnel guys were headed to YVR.

I hope they hire you all. We need some better guys in the crew room.

LittleFokker
9th Dec 2003, 15:57
Thank you Jim!

Like it was mention here before it was just some sort of a prescreening. People from all diff crew leasing companies were there. We should hear something in 2 weeks, if selected then, you do the whole interview/sim/test/medical in Taiwan. They mention late Jan early Feb to our group base on availability and choosing the most experience pilot first (according to the HR lady).

Anyone care to share their proposed package if selected?

APAL-Have for their 340/744 FO 4800+1000 for housing. (3yrs contract)
any ideas what IAC and the others pay?

LF

29chev
10th Dec 2003, 00:38
Hi LF,
Many of us were there on our own (no contract Company). There are a lot of Canadian pilots on the street right now and most had applied directly to CAL,
Hack2

LittleFokker
10th Dec 2003, 05:21
Hack,

Just for curiosity more than anything, what kind of benefit package you are offered if hired directly by CAL?

Thanks,

LF

29chev
10th Dec 2003, 07:05
LF check your PM's
Hack2

Jim Morehead
12th Dec 2003, 21:08
Most people feel they are better off by going direct. The agencies pay a little more,but then their guys do NOT get the 13th month pay each year. They don't get per diem and some other things that are paid.

I also have heard that not all people's contracts are renewed either.

90%+ of the people are direct hire from what I see in the ex-pat group.

There are classes in January and March and interviewing continues. It will be interesting to see how many of the Canandian guys get offered a job and how many take it.

29chev
13th Dec 2003, 02:31
I can't speak for the other 30-40 guys/gals from my company who went for a interview last week but I for one will be happy to leave the mess our industry has become in Canada behind for a long while. Does any one know how long it takes for the phone call/email to come ref the 2nd or TPE interview stage?
Hack