PDA

View Full Version : Is Star Order going to Embraer?

E1453
27th Nov 2003, 23:43
I can`t figure out one single strong reason for Embraer not taking this order. Star needs 70 to 120 sets planes, and there is only one family in this niche: the E170/175/190/195 Family.

They are pretty comfortable (much more than the CRJ700/900) compared to the 717 and the A318.

They are lighter than any of its competitors, except for the E170 (the CRJ700 is one ton lighter than the E170, but the E190 is lighter than the CRJ900).

Except for political and financing issues, I think we should buy some Embraer's stocks right now.

Ace Rimmer
28th Nov 2003, 15:20
Well yes, it would appear that the 170/190 family is the only game in town. punters are going to love em comfort wise (rode down the back at Paris on a journo jaunt) Crews are going to love em (once the avionics software is sorted). I had a go with 006 last month and it was a joy to fly, really a lot of fun even in direct law...

However, it's also worth taking into consideration the political side. Can you imagine for example, the wailing and gnashing that would ensue if Air Canada ordered EMBRAERS over Bombardier offerings?

The rumors I've heard suggest that the the Star buy is beginning to break up....Lufty for example would like to stay with the CRJs for the smaller end, (LCL) already has loads of CRJ100/200/700s, and leans toward Airbus at the top end (commonality you see). Plus again the latter is homegrown (don't forget that before it's demise Lufty was firmly in the Fairchild Dornier camp for its 70-100 requirement. United - well who knows what hey want. Varig naturally (if still around) will lean firmly towards SJC and so on and so forth.

Incidentally going back to my earlier point, I have heard on reasonable authority that Air Canada is going to order 717s for it's DC9 replacement but then it was a Boeing (LB) guy that told me.

E1453
28th Nov 2003, 19:47
http://www.ruleof70to110.com/

Willie Everlearn
29th Nov 2003, 09:21
Star Alliance is very, very close to signing with Bombardier for a mix of 700s and 900s.
Why?
LH Cityline operates a number of CL65s along with most of their feeder partners under their new regional airline setup.
For similar reasons, Air Canada are also close to signing for 85 700s.
The commonality issues across the alliance plus the current processes already in place with Bombardier that have established a lot of clout for Alliance members, make EMB a long shot.
A long shot indeed.
:ok: