PDA

View Full Version : Virgin to Hit Oz via HKG Summer 2004

World of Tweed
27th Nov 2003, 22:14
See press release below:

"Sir Richard Branson today welcomed the deal reached between the UK and Hong Kong to liberalise their air services arrangements and announced that Virgin Atlantic plans to launch services to Australia, via Hong Kong, from next summer.

Today’s agreement at air services negotiations between the UK and Hong Kong paves the way for Virgin Atlantic to launch new services to Australia, bringing much needed competition, and its award winning service and innovative products, to the Kangaroo route. Implementation of the agreement is subject to the final approval of the European Commission but as this deal is pro-competition and pro-consumer Virgin Atlantic expects approval to be granted soon to enable it to operate these services from Summer 2004"

Further Details:

Cathay permitted LON-New York rights.

BA denied Cargo rights HKG-Japan but gain codeshares on further CX services.

And there is now a Free For All on Britain - Hong Kong route.

boeingbus2002
28th Nov 2003, 05:13
So what about bmi's long battle for transatlantic flights? How comes Cathay get rights and bmi dont?! Call me thick..but have i missed something? (Was a joke..dont call me thick!)
:rolleyes:

scroggs
28th Nov 2003, 06:42
I believe that the agreement between the US and UK over which airlines fly transatlantic into LHR only covers airlines registered in those two countries. There are a number of other countries' airlines which already fly from LHR to the USA (Qantas and ANZ come to mind). Cathay will separately need US approval to enter the US from UK - which it may already have, for all I know.

Whether Cathay will have the right to pick up passengers in the UK en-route to the US isn't clear from this press release - nor is it clear from this release that VS will have that right from HK to Oz. Perhaps someone can clarify? What it does seem to mean is that BMI could operate LHR-HKG if they should so wish!

[Later edit....] A quick Google to Reuters revealed that both Cathay and Virgin will enjoy fifth-freedom rights on the new routes.

DanAir1-11
28th Nov 2003, 09:02
Anyone know which ports in Aus will be serviced?? I am hoping PER will be in the equation?? Especially if they use the 340-600 equipment on the route??any ideas?

regards

christep
28th Nov 2003, 11:56
LHR to the USA (Qantas... come to mind)

Er, really? That would be news to the people downunder. Qantas fly to JFK from Aus (via LAX), but they don't fly across the Atlantic as far as I am aware.

I think Cathay will become the only airline on which you can fly round the world (US, Asia, Europe).

Bob Upndown
28th Nov 2003, 16:41
Dan,

At this time, it will be SYD only. Pending confirmation, the VS200 will operate LHR-HKG-SYD, VS201 SYD-HKG-LHR.

BlueEagle
28th Nov 2003, 16:51
That's interesting! SQ have been after LHR/JFK rights for years, so far without success I believe, been offered LHR to other US destinations but not JFK.

scroggs
28th Nov 2003, 20:07
christep sorry, I thought Qantas did have an Atlantic crossing! Oh well, wrong again. ANZ certainly go from LHR-LAX; I don't know if any other non US/UK airlines fly from LHR-USA.

As far as I understand it, VS plans to operate two LHR-HKGs daily, with one going on to SYD - that, at least, was the last plan that I saw! If that's the case, I'd guess that the LHR-HKG-SYD will be the VS202, returning as the VS203.

SQ have certainly pressed for a crossing of their own, but I suspect they didn't want Virgin operating via Singapore to Oz, so they had no quid pro quo to offer. As they reap 49% of the profits of Virgin's operation, which is mainly transatlantic, I doubt they'll lose too much sleep over it!

AIRWAY
28th Nov 2003, 20:30
LHR-HKG-SYD

Hi Scroggs,

Do you know if it will be the Airbus or Boeing doing that route?

Many Thanks
JP

gordonsmall
28th Nov 2003, 20:42
Do you know if it will be the Airbus or Boeing doing that route?

According to the VS press release the A340-600 will be the equipment of choice at the moment.

Regards,
Gordon.

Globaliser
28th Nov 2003, 23:28
scroggs: I don't know if any other non US/UK airlines fly from LHR-USA.AI and KU, I think (from memory).

scroggs
29th Nov 2003, 01:21
Globaliser thanks for that.

AIRWAY As gordonsmall says, it will be the A340-600. We wouldn't normally use the B744 to open a new route (except to the Caribbean and US holiday destinations), and the A346 is already used on HKG, so it makes sense to use the same kit as we already have support contracts for in Hong Kong.

This subject is overdue for a forum change!