PDA

View Full Version : Air Jamaica

saviboy
27th Nov 2003, 08:45
Hi guys,
does somebody the minimum requirements to work for Air jamaica( flight hours and visa)?

Panama Jack
27th Nov 2003, 15:22
For many years, and I have no reason to suspect this has changed, the essential question has been "Are you a Jamaican Citizen?" This has been as much as a question for Air Jamaica as for the Civil Aviation Administration of Jamaica (Jamaican citizenship is a prerequisite for any of their professional pilot licenses). If you are, then get your Jamaican Commercial or ATP, and start applying-- I know one person who interviewed with them a few years ago who had about 1000 hours (although, sadly, he was not selected).

Nevertheless, if you are a foreigner, they have hired (contracted?) experienced type rated Captains for the type of aircraft they fly in the past. If you have Captain experience on the Airbuses they fly, you could contact them. I understand that the deal is very good-- excellent pay and many live in Miami and commute to Montego Bay-- thus remaining on tax-free status.

Unless you fall into one of these two categories you are wasting your time.

T O G A Boy
8th Dec 2003, 05:41
hi. Was wondering what the chances are for a job with Air Jamaica. like to know what licences are reqd ( JAA or FAA) or others. and also about residence permit. I am a current A320 first officer with 1200 hours on type. pls advice... tnx:::)

Captain Stable
8th Dec 2003, 16:48
TOGA Boy, did you actually read Panama Jack's post?

Gop Guy
8th Dec 2003, 21:22
Does Air Jamaica want Jamaicans with degrees? Also, do they want pilots to fly for AJX first or could you get in with no turbine experience? I am currently working towards a BSc in Pro-Aero from...ERAU. I have about 240 hours or so and want to know if I should apply now or wait till I complete the degree and get some more experience? Oh and I'm a Jamaican citizen.

tropical wave
9th Dec 2003, 04:56
GOP GUP,
Apply NOW, then when 'on line' finish your degree

Dnapps
10th Dec 2003, 02:51
Hey Gop Guy,
Air Jamaica and AJX are two separate companies. They like pilots with post secondary education; but it isn't a requirement. The requirements are as follows:

Jamaican citizen, 21 or older, ATPL written (it's in discussion if it should be raised to having an actual ATPL), first class medical, IFR, cxc math and english; and it would help if you know someone.

Those requirements are for both airlines. Only that AJX has always wanted 700 hours (but they got rid of the twin otter this year). Now all they need is the ATPL written. I hope this helped you; and good luck to you in your flying career.

Dnapps

Gop Guy
19th Dec 2003, 21:09
When JM begins flights to YYZ, will AC continue that route? JM 078 will operate YYZ-KIN-MBJ. AC 982 operates YYZ-MBJ-KIN and 984 does YYZ-KIN.

yardman
20th Dec 2003, 23:09
Dnapps,
To clarify some of your assertions. Firstly, having worked at AJM for some time I can state with some degree of certainty that AJM doesn't really care whether a prospect new hire has post secondary education or not. Quality of hours and performance on the interview are much more important. Secondly, you don't have to be a Jamaican citizen; you only have to have the legal right to live and work in Jamaica. I know I may seem to be splitting hairs, but it is an important fact nontheless. Finally, I understand that the minima have or are soon to be increased to 1000 hrs. They previously were ME commercial plus IR.