PDA

View Full Version : Bristow Helicopters unofficial 50th anniversary website

coalface
27th Nov 2003, 06:18
Pprune readers are asked to acknowledge the efforts of Dave Edwards ( a long serving Bristow avionics engineer ) who has set up and maintained the above website which can be found at

http://209.196.171.35/.

I worked with Bristow for only a short time many years ago but Dave's site has brought back many memories. It is a historical record of a Company which pioneered the use of helicopters and was a world wide industry leader.

It is a sad day when the creator of this site feels he has to give it up when there is obviously so much more which could be added to this story.

I do not know Dave Edwards but I do know he is one of the many dedicated members of Bristow employees who gave more than 100% to the Company.

Please explore this site and if you have any opinions please post them here and also do what you can to campaign for it to be continued so that the story can be finished. It would seem that Dave is not in a position to carry on but surely Bristows could appoint a suitable custodian and editor to ensure this unique site is maintained.

NickLappos
27th Nov 2003, 14:26
coalface,
I had lunch with Alan Bristow and his lovely wife about 6 weeks ago, and I must report that he is as feisty and sharp as ever. I had met him back in 1975, and flew with him a few times over the years. He is one-of-a-kind, and a true pioneer.

ppheli
27th Nov 2003, 14:51
Nick
Did AB mention that he wanted nothing to do with the recently published book on the 50 years of Bristow? Apparently he point blank refused to cooperate with Andy Healey, or that's the word on the street anyway. If true, one wonders how a realistic book was written?

NickLappos
27th Nov 2003, 22:58
He did mention that, but I am reluctant to report on a friend's private remarks. Suffice it to say he believes the book to be riddled with factual errors, and he is most disappointed that nothing he could do could get them corrected. He walked away in disgust, I believe, having embraced the endevor at first.

Alan is a true pioneer, and spending time with him is better than a good movie, he has a thousand stories to tell, and his outlook is that of one who has been there, done the wild things, and kept his integrity throughout.

He told me of working as an ordinary seaman to help repair a torpedoed merchantman as it limped to port while steaming at 2 knots backwards to keep the bow from collapsing! I think he has lead about 3 distinctly different and exciting lives. I am sure there are those who do not understand or like him, but I am also sure that he couldn't care less!

We had frst met in 1976, and he is simply an unforgettable character, his own man in every right!

zalt
28th Nov 2003, 01:10
I have the highest regard for Alan Bristow despite, though perhaps even because, the first question he asked me ('What are you doing there?') was punctuated with several non-moderator friendly expletives! I don't think he has ever been properly honoured for his contribution to the industry.

The fact that the short 3 page Mike Ramsden / Alan Bristow interview in Flight on the occasion of the silver jubilee resulted in a number of parties being given 'an opportunity to reply' before it was published, with 3 taking it up (!) may explain something about involvement with the book.

Anyone who has never had the good fortune to meet Alan Bristow should read that interview at Dave Edward's excellent site: http://209.196.171.35/article_flight25.htm

ppheli
28th Nov 2003, 14:01
Alan also has a house with its own airstrip - nothing unusual in the US, but reasonably unusual for the UK. But this is not any old strip for a puddle-jumper Piper or Cessna, but one capable to take his Beech 90 KingAir! At least in the summer months when the ground is hard enough...

- - - - - -

Talking of Dave Edwards' site, it seems that work has been halted on it and "the disks sent to Redhill", and that it will disappear sometime in December 03 (next week, eek....) because the webspace is not paid for. Can anything be done?

Phil Kemp
21st Feb 2004, 11:25
I was very pleased to see that the Bristow site is still up and running.

Thanks to Tim for keeping it going and also to Dave for all his work to get it going in the first place.

I really do need to send in some of those old pictures of mine (of course, I actually need to scan them first) - but maybe I'll get some of the digital ones in first.

I have been fortunate enough to see quite a few of the old Bristow folks in the last few months, with more to come at the HAI I'm sure.

A recent highlight was a visit to the Club 61 in Kuala Trengganu, still running after all these years! It was also interesting to catch up on quite a number of people that I haven't heard of in years, who have also been back to visit KT. I would post some of the pictures of the club, except I inadvertently lost their e-mail address and (also inadvertently) didn't save the pictures they e-mailed me (some kind of complicated technical problem involving a late night and a glass that never got empty)!

Hope to see more of the old guys again soon - take care.

Couple more shots here (http://community.webshots.com/album/119857994oAxoQd)

http://thumb7.webshots.com/s/thumb1/5/83/97/119858397npboYB_th.jpg

Gabra1
22nd Feb 2004, 23:55
Hi Phil,

Nice pictures of the MHS S61Ns and S76Cs in Kerteh. Didn't know you were up there recently.

Check your PM.

Best regards,

Gabra1

roundwego
24th Nov 2006, 11:15
Does anyone know what has happened to the Bristow 50th anniversary website? It used to found at www.skyweaver.co.uk.

It was a great archive of the history of Bristow and it will be a shame if it is lost.

Taff Missed
24th Nov 2006, 15:09
I would guess that it folded due to lack of interest/input. I was on it a few weeks ago and there hadn't been an update for some time. All the same, yes it is a shame to see it fold.:(

Taff

Hippolite
24th Nov 2006, 21:39
I know the person who pays to have it hosted and when called he said there has been no intent to remove it, in fact, he says he is still being charged. It hasn't been taken down intentionally. At some time in thennear future, there is a plan to overhaul and update it but it hasn't started yet.

HH

Teefor Gage
25th Nov 2006, 12:19
Hi there. There is another site on the same subject, but probably not with the same content. Try: Bristow 50th Anniversary (http://www.hmfriends.org.uk/bristow50th.htm)

Would be nice to see Skyweaver back again though!!

Hippolite
27th Nov 2006, 20:01
Its back up now. Server problem apparently.