PDA

View Full Version : Aer Arann to operate from Weston, Ireland

genius747
26th Nov 2003, 22:54
Had a brief chat with an Aer Lingus skipper last night and with the new runway extension gone into Weston aerdrome, Lucan he was saying that Aer Arann are now looking at moving their flights to&from Dublin to Weston for obvious reasons.

Although Mansfield has built the Rwy extension he as yet has no planning permission for it, but already there is bigger jets coming in onto Rwy 25 because of the new "RUNWAY OVER RUN" area!!! he is a clever chappy.

But any how anybody got any imputs to this new Aer Arann idea that seems to be in the pipe lines when the new longer runway becomes fully certified?

Incidently I believe there will be an ILS thrown in also and maby some approach llights.

My names Turkish
26th Nov 2003, 23:49
Its a long time since I flew there, but I was wondering if there are lights on the runway yet? I know that there was big plans to build a tower, extend the runway etc, but the last time I was there from what I recall(And I stand to be corrected here) they had neither lights or an Instrument Approach.

I also wonder about the implications for the local area, as the area is not served by the worlds greatest roads. I presume they will have to build a very large car park also as I would have thought that the present one has not the capacity. I understand, from what I have read in the press that Mr Mansfield may be under quite a lot of scrutiny from the local planning authorities for *alleged* planning infringements, and this seems to be what is holding up further development. I also understand that the locals are opposed to further development of this aerodrome.

It would be great to see Aer Arann operating another route, and creating more jobs hopefully but I would think that it may be quite some time yet before Weston is suitable for operations. Intresting discussion though...

akerosid
27th Nov 2003, 01:04
I think there would be a lot of planning regulations and discussion to go through before this happened and given (a) the allegations against Mr. Mansfield and (b) the way Aer Rianta behaved towards its own shareholder, the govt, in its attempts to introduce airport competition, this could be a long way down the road, if it happens at all.

The local community would react with less than complete enthusiasm and there may well be questions as to where the line should be drawn; if a 4,000' runway (what's the exact length) is sufficient to allow 146s, will they be allowed in, or EMB170/190s etc?

Another problem might well be connections to regional centres from Dublin; currently, US flights can connect with RE flights from DUB, with the result that its far easier to reach most of the west coast from DUB than it is from SNN.

I really, really hope this can be moved forwards, but the obstacles in the way may well be insurmountable.

stargazer02
27th Nov 2003, 01:56
aeroskid
Weston is not in any fit state to take Aer Arann flights.
There is not runway lighting and no instrument approach whatosever.
There aren't any jets going into Weston yet except perhaps
OY TKI C500 which is pretty much a static display.
I think they would need to sort out their PCN's and re-structure the main runway besides just widening it.
Also there may be an FBO going into the field but really with RWY25's proximity to the housing estates around it and to Baldonnel i don't think this will be a runner for too many operators.
I hear that there is a VOR/DME approach being set up for EIWT.
Also the likes of a Hawker 125-700/800XP or Challenger CL604 or C560XL will need alot more runway length than is available even with the new extension in place.....so although they may get a few Citations into EIWT i don't think they'll get much more.

Also for an ATR to go in/out you are looking at an airport with facilities atleast the size of Sligo.....there's no car hire/baggage areas in the airport
I really don't think that Aer Arann would go there....if they were thinking of anywhere then why not go somewhere like Baldonnel which has a good wide long runway/facilities & a big terminal/ramp area....:ok:

FireFoxDown
27th Nov 2003, 02:46
hmmm definately an interesting discussion!

As has been mentioned Weston has neither approach lights or an ILS but the introduction of these would be an great asset for training at the airport. At the moment it really is too small to accomodate commuter flights like those of Aer Arann but there is quite a bit of undeveloped land around the airport - particularly to the west. Any ideas how many AerArann flights would fly in? It would certainly need a lot of development but its not too far fetched IMO!

Of course the local residents would complain - that is to be expected - what i'd like to see,which i think has been touched on before, a campaign by the airport to improve the way it is viewed in the local community - maybe cheaper flying lessons for people in the locality, half-price(or some reductionon) intoductory flights, meetings between airport officials and the community etc. etc.

It could be done ...

My names Turkish
27th Nov 2003, 03:36
I still cant see how anyone could justify an Instrument approach system. I recall hearing that an ILS costs in the region of $1 Million USD. Theres surely no way they could recover that from training costs alone. And as I thought, this is an aerodrome which doesnt even have runway lights let alone approach lights. I think its wishful thinking, I'd love to see it happen don't get me wrong, but I wouldnt put money on it.

Mach Buffet
27th Nov 2003, 04:36
Less than two miles away is an airstrip with a nice long piece of concrete, and is very much under-utilised.

Now that would be far more suitable for commercial traffic.

FireFoxDown
27th Nov 2003, 05:01
Baldonnel could be easily converted for both civil and military use couldnt it? and isn't it the norm in many other countries that military share their airfields?

I dont think(though i could be wrong) there is a reason why not to convert to dual operations ... is there? The IAC could still carry out normal training, SAR, GASU, MATS roles etc. while sharing the base ... does anyone have any opinions on the likelihood of something like this transpiring?

Off the clock
28th Nov 2003, 06:34
Does anyone know if Derby Kennedy is still gracing the airways at Weston?

MayorQuimby
28th Nov 2003, 17:29
Off the clock,

Capt. Kennedy now lives in Spain, where he can enjoy his many millions in the sun. Not sure if he's been back to Weston since, but I'd say he'd be amazed to see the transformation of the place. All part of Mr. Mansfield's ambitious Conference Centre plans. Don't be surprised if it's renamed "CityWest Airport" at some time in the future.

MQ.

Off the clock
29th Nov 2003, 05:51
Mayor Quimby,
Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear the Captain is well and enjoying the sunshine after what must rate as one of the longest careers in aviation. Himself, Pearce Cahill, Bill Howarth and a few others really represented the original Irish Aviators. Hope they have many more prosperous years.
Just saw some pictures of Darby" at his 70th birthday party in June 1984, in an old copy of "the Irish Aviator". Several other well known characters also featured. Can't believe where the years are going. (Only a lad back then!)
Look forward to hearing of developments at Weston. Good luck to Aer Arran. Great to see them prospering.

Regards,

Otc

PushingTin111
1st Dec 2003, 03:30
Guys guys guys......

From an ATC point of view........weston is a VFR aerodrome. You CANNOT operate an IFR flight into or out of Weston. When you take off, you must be VFR and before you land you must close your IFR plan with ATC and continue to WESTON in VFR conditions. This is all very fine you might say but I don't think AER ARANN will be going from Weston to Galway on a VFR flight plan. Yes they can get airborne in VFR but ATC do not have to accept the flight into controlled airspace. See the problem...????

FireFoxDown
1st Dec 2003, 20:07
Pushing Tin - as you've pointed out Weston can only provide a FIS at the moment but should all of these extensive modifications go ahead i assume they would include upgrading of the tower/ATC facilities, implementation of ILS, RADAR, airport lighting(VASI etc.) that would allow them to operate in IMC/IFR much like Dublin.

MayorQuimby
1st Dec 2003, 20:11
Hi PushingTin111,

I don't believe anyone is suggesting they would be operating without an IAP. This would have to be established and a corresponding aid put in (probably not an ILS, but maybe an NDB/DME?). While I think it is unlikely we will see scheduled operators such as Aer Aran in there, an IAP of some description is probably in the pipeline to cater for the high end GA stuff (bizjets). Although, knowing Ireland, I'm sure there are many, many hoops to jump through (class G airspace, etc.)

Off the clock,
The Capt. is ageless. When I was a kid and he taught my Dad to fly he seemed old back then! Your reference to his 70th means he is pushing 90 now. Bill Howarth is still teaching away.

Regards,
MQ.

PushingTin111
2nd Dec 2003, 00:31
Points taken guys......but what about a control zone around weston.....not possible due to its proximity to EIDW.

MarkD
3rd Dec 2003, 07:40
doubt all this v. much

RE regional dependent on PSO. Can't see the Govt coughing up for PSO anywhere other than EIDW.

On the plus side, it might mean Jetmagic doing the Cork-EIDW run! My mother flies the route a lot and wishes EI would come back.

The 5Q
13th Dec 2003, 15:52
Im suprised that no one noticed that weston purchased two
scammel MK10 fire tenders which will provides category five fire cover.

You dont buy those unless your planning to fly something bigger in there.

Joe Curry
13th Dec 2003, 18:28
Could be of interest?

Read This (http://www.iol.ie/~geof/weston.htm)

runawayedge
15th Dec 2003, 18:42
The PSO specifies that the airline must interline with at least two airlines which would rule out Weston. The Department of Transport currently have enough headaches with the PSO without having to consider relocating. Will there be another round of PSO....?

QGH
15th Jan 2004, 02:53
IFR flights to Weston generally take a chance on return and ask for an IF approach at BAL to runway 11, breaking off left at two mile to join the circuit at EIWT. They normally get it if it's not busy, but an approach is not always guaranteed, and never is there prior coordination.:*