PDA

View Full Version : TBI Interim Profits Down

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
26th Nov 2003, 21:06
From the FT:

TBI encounters turbulence at US airport operations
By Sharlene Goff

TBI's interim profits took a nosedive as the airports operator revealed a £6.3m goodwill write-down relating to its US airport services business.

The group, which was hit by the collapse in air travel after September 11, yesterday said pre-tax profit fell 52 per cent to £7.2m in the six months to September 30. It was also affected by increased recurring costs, such as air traffic control fees and pension and insurance charges.

Keith Brooks, chief executive, said the group would consider selling the US business, providing the timing and circumstances were right.

He added that the company's focus on providing services to low-cost airlines had helped lift revenues by 4 per cent. Passenger numbers also increased, from 8.71m to 9.95m, of which 68 per cent flew with low-cost carriers.

The refinancing of its debt facilities at Luton incurred a one-off charge of £1.8m but it was expected to provide an annual interest saving of £1.6m.

The number of charter passengers at the London airport fell by 15 per cent as MyTravel withdrew some of its routes.

But Mr Brooks said Luton was a big opportunity for growth, especially since EasyJet had launched a thrice-daily route from Luton to Berlin Schonefeld this month.

Ryanair had also established a base at TBI's Stockholm Stavsta airport, which more than tripled passenger traffic, but costs in the development of terminal facilities led to operating losses of £656,000 (profit of £166,000). Sales were £103.5m (£99.7m). Earnings per share fell from 1.34p to 0.01p and the interim dividend was maintained at 0.7p. The shares fell 2¼p to 60p.

FT Comment

* The increase in costswas greater than anticipated and triggered a spate of downgrades. Oriel Securities reduced its estimate for full- year pre-tax profit before exceptionals by £3m to £23.1m. The shares, which have rallied 34 per cent since March, are trading on a p/e of about 24.5 compared with BAA on about 15. Evidence of tighter cost control and an upturn in passenger numbers might be needed before this premium can be justified.

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1069493501241&p=1012571727117

With this set of results, even if Luton does get the go ahead from the government for major expansion, how on earth are TBI going to fund it? Moreover, I see they are still going on about the withdrawal of the Summer 2003 My Travel Programme - certainly it was severely cut back and there was no based aircraft but some of the programme did happen and on other airlines. There seems to be a convenient omission of the fact that Air 2000 had an aircraft based at Luton every day of the week rather than for just three days as in previous years. They also fail to mention all the business that continues to go to Stansted in preference to Luton.

Unless of course the downturn is a result of trying to keep Buster in sarnies!!

For what it is worth, I would not be surprised if TBI's share in Luton is sold so long as the forthcoming Government decisions on airports in the south east are beneficial to Luton and allow it to expand - it will be rather like having a piece of land with planning permission already granted.

Discuss!

Buster the Bear
26th Nov 2003, 23:17
I am cheap to keep, but difficult to manage!

I cannot imagine the folk living in Snorbans and Arpinden sitting back and allowing the airport to expand to 31 million passengers per annum, as recently stated is the maximum capacity of Luton on a single runway by Mr TBI.

I agree with the planning permission and the real estate value escalating. The only reason my soccer team has not gone bust is the future value attached to the club with a relocation of the ground to Jct 10. No new football gound, then no huge re-development of the prime area surrounding its intended new home. The club will be saved because of the development of its new surrounds. This land has no value without a new ground as planning permission will only be granted with one.

The value of Luton airport would be greatly increased by HM Govt allowing expansion beyond 10 million pax per annum.

Now if I bought some shares, expansion is then approved, would they be worth more? Can a bear speculate?

newswatcher
26th Nov 2003, 23:39
Can a bear speculate? I suppose it depends if it's a "bear" market! :D :D

LGS6753
27th Nov 2003, 03:34
Bearing (Sorry!) in mind that TBI is ethnically a property company, there may be a temptation to sell if 'planning permission' is granted.
In my opinion, it's almost certain that HMG will announce:

New runway at STN
Approval to expand LTN throughput, but no new runway
Cliffe dead

... and probably lots of other things too.

Buster the Bear
4th Dec 2003, 17:03
Airports operator TBI takes off on talk of takeover bid By Michael Jivkov 04 December 2003. The Independent

A bid for TBI, the regional airports operator, is a perennial story to do the rounds of City dealing rooms, and it was back yesterday. Hot money flowed into the stock on whispers that a European construction group had approached TBI with an 80p a share cash offer. Those who heard the story said the offer was not from Vinci, the French construction giant, which tabled a 90p a share bid in 2001.

It was the events of 11 September that scuppered the French group's move as the value of aviation assets plummeted in the wake of the attacks on the twin towers. Vinci eventually withdrew its £510m offer but nevertheless remains TBI's biggest shareholder. With a 15 per cent stake it will certainly have a big say in the group's future.

Although the latest speculation to surround TBI got the group's shares moving - they rose 2.25p to 61.5p in heavy trading - the company strongly rejected suggestions that it had received an approach. "The rumour is absolute rubbish," said Keith Brooks, TBI's chief executive.

Powerjet1
4th Dec 2003, 17:30
Up to 69p at 10.10am this morning. 11% up on the opening price.

Powerjet1
4th Dec 2003, 19:04
Alleged to be Hochtief AGs Hochtief Airport Group GmbH (who ever they are) believed to be the party mulling over a cash bid for TBI. Appears no direct approach to TBI so far.

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
4th Dec 2003, 19:39
A statement has been made this morning to the London Stock exchange by HOCHTIEF AirPort GmbH

"HOCHTIEF AirPort GmBH (HTA) is in the business of examining airport investment opportunities, with partners, on a continuous basis. In this context HTA confirms that it is considering the merits of a potential acquisition of TBI plc. HTA's review, which is at a preliminary stage, may or may not lead to an offer for TBI. HTA confirms that it has as yet made no approach to TBI on this matter. Any offer would likely to be solely in cash."

Very interesting!! I would have thought that the institutions would jump at an all cash offer.

As background HOCHTIEF seem to run Athens, hold 50% of Dusseldorf as a joing venture with Aer Rianta and 36% of Hamburg on the same basis.

Buster the Bear
4th Dec 2003, 22:33
WOW!

A cash offer as well!

I have just had a look at thier on line brochure, cartainly some big airports involved with them.

I really should have bought some shares!

LTNman
4th Dec 2003, 23:32
TBI haven’t got two pennies to rub together so a sale could be good news for Luton. A lack of readies and low profits is thought to be the reason behind the delay in building the new pier to the north apron. How they hope to fund major expansion when they can’t afford a 100m pier is anybodies guess.

Buster the Bear
6th Dec 2003, 01:56
05 December 2003

TBI rises on German group’s cash interest

Shares in TBI jumped 11p to 72p Thursday, valuing it at around £400m, after German construction firm Hochtief said it was considering a cash bid for the owner of Belfast International, Cardiff and Luton airports.

Hochtief is one of the five biggest construction groups in the world, with turnover of £8bn. Its Essen-based Hochtief AirPort (HTA) division already owns stakes in Sydney, Athens, Hamburg and Düsseldorf airports.

Following speculation earlier in the week, the UK Takeover Panel forced HTA to make a statement about its intentions. The company said it was ‘in the business of examining airport investment opportunities, with partners, on a continuous basis. In this context, HTA confirms that it is considering the merits of a potential acquisition of TBI plc. HTA’s review, which is at a preliminary stage, may or may not lead to an offer for TBI. HTA confirms that it has as yet made no approach to TBI on this matter. Any offer would be likely to be solely in cash.’

TBI is currently 14.9% owned by French construction group Vinci. Other major shareholders include TBI chairman Stan Thomas and his family with 19%, Deutsche Bank with 8.2% and Irish entrepreneur Dermot Desmond, who owns London City Airport, with 5%.

Two years ago, Vinci launched a 90p-a-share hostile bid for TBI, valuing it at £517m. Keith Brooks, TBI chief executive, initially rejected the bid as ‘wholly inadequate’, but following the devastating effects on the aviation industry of the 11 September terrorist attacks, he urged shareholders to accept. However, sufficient acceptances came in too late and Vinci let the offer lapse.

While Vinci declined to comment yesterday on Hochtief’s interest, it confirmed that it would consider selling its take if it received an appropriate offer.

Analysts believe a takeover battle for TBI is now likely. WestLB Panmure’s Andrew Murphy told the Times: ‘If Hochtief bids, then I think Vinci might have to counterbid. Either both of them will bid, or neither.’ Meanwhile, Michael Gifford, fund manager at Canada Life, believes TBI could fetch more than 90p-a-share. ‘Even at the current share price, TBI is looking very cheap,’ he said.

http://www.gifs.net/animate/bear3p.gif

Powerjet1
27th Feb 2004, 21:33
Slightly off topic I know but it seems that TBI have awarded a five year contract to NCP to run Luton's existing 6373 car parking spaces plus to oversee all the shuttle bus ops between the mid-term & long term carparks & Luton Airport Parkway station. NCP take control from April.

NCP will also add an additional 2000 spaces bringing the total to just under 8500 onsite . Seems interesting.

LTNman
28th Feb 2004, 14:48
The Midterm car park is set to shrink this year as the new dual carriageway into the airport will cut through it. NCP have already identified a 2160m X 46m strip of concrete as an additional car park.

Buster the Bear
28th Feb 2004, 17:33
That strip you mention could also be used for car boot sales or a Sunday market?