PDA

View Full Version : Guernsey's Girl

Compass Call
26th Nov 2003, 04:50
During Gulf War 1 there was a Nimrod, based at Seeb, with the nose art "Guernsey's Girl". During Gulf War 2 there was also a Nimrod with the nose art "Guernsey's Girl 2".
Can anybody tell me the story behind this nose art.
Was it the same crew?
Was it the same aircraft?
Who is the mysterious 'Guernsey's Girl'?

I am sitting on my sandbag, glass of 6X in hand, waiting to read the TRUE story of 'Guernsey's Girl'.

Thanks in advance.

CC

reynoldsno1
26th Nov 2003, 07:08
I assume it was from 201 Sqn - aka "The Guernsey Squadron". Doubtful it was the same crew or airframe

Maple 01
26th Nov 2003, 07:09
http://www.iv362jn.freeserve.co.uk/Main.html

I read in the Cabbage news that 20something squadron had named one of it's Nimrods Guernsey’s Girl, the reason being to perpetuate the tradition of linking squadrons to places encouraging ‘air mindedness’ amongst the populous. Unlike many other squadrons 201 had maintained the links with the Island over the years. So it was either a nice gesture to the people of Guernsey, or a PRO with a keen eye for a good story. Either way Trenchard would have approved

At one time many RAF Squadrons where associated with various places (44(Rhodesia) Sqn for example)

I think it started during the First World War when a country/district purchased aircraft and presented them to the AM. A bond was formed between the locals and the unit, to the point that they looked on the squadron as 'their own'. It certainly happened during WW2 but probably got lost generally post-war with all the disbandments and number changes

Regards

-Nick

Yeller_Gait
26th Nov 2003, 12:44
The 201 Sqn history page explains when and why the 201 Sqn affiliation started, amongst other things
201 Sqn history (http://www.kinloss-raf.co.uk/201sqnhis.htm)

bluetail
27th Nov 2003, 01:26
The Nimrod,s marked as "Guernsey's Girl" are as follows,

Op Granby XV258...marking on Port side between cockpit and Port Beam

Op Telic XV241 "Guernsey,s Girl II" together with 26 Mission markings, markings on Starboard Side between Front Door and cockpit, mission markings are a Palm Tree on the Starboard side Radome below the cockpit.

(41 also had a Bluetail for 206 Sqn 80th Anniversary in 1996)

Other Op Granby aircraft markings were as follows

XV244 "Battle Star 42" 18 Mission markings
XV229 "HELLO/CXX 1"
XV235 "Muscat Belle"

Other Op Telic aircraft markings

XV235 "SADDAM You are the Weakest Link...Goodbye"
XV250 "Maid of Moray"

Compass Call
27th Nov 2003, 02:51
Gentlemen,
Thank you for your help and the links.
Most informative.