PDA

View Full Version : JAA ATP conversion help

wesikim
26th Nov 2003, 04:27
Hey

Hope Im not repeating questions already asked, I did seek but could not find.

I am presently living and working in Canada. I hold a Canadian ATPL with excess of 3700hrs of which over 2000hrs is on multi crew turbine.
I am wanting to convert my Canadian ATP to a JAA ATP. To prepare for the exams I am going to puchase the Jeppesen course books. My understanding is that I am not required to complete the TRTO course or undergo the approved training, prior to writing the ATP exams and the skills test. This is providing that I complete the skills test in a multi pilot aircraft that I am type rated on and have at least 500hrs experience.

Heres where I get a little confused:
How do most people complete their ATPL skills test..., do they normally do it through the company they work for when they do their Pilot Proficiency Check..., is this even possible...

What if I go over to the EU, write my exams and then am unable to complete the skills test in the aircraft I am expecting to be able to. Must I then attend the approved courses...

I downloaded the JAA ATPL exam time table for the UK. Is there any place in the EU where they conduct the exams on a more regular basis...

If you have any answers to the above questions they would be greatly appreciated or if you see any flaws to my plan, please tell me.

Thankyou in advance.

redsnail
26th Nov 2003, 20:25
Most people do their ATPL skills test prior to employment. I don't know of any one being in employ prior to doing that check. It's a pain to organise and unless you have skills and qualifications that the employer wants then they aren't going to bother liasing with the CAA and the sim providers for you.
It's best to organise the sim and CAA early in the piece as the CAA take ages to get a booking.

Trolle
26th Nov 2003, 21:09
It is possible to do a conversion distant learning. I have been looking into it. It is through Bristol and you order the books and take the exams in the US at a flight school in Florida. You can do the CPL exam there as well, but you can't do the instrument exam. That has to be done in Europe.

coastflyer
28th Nov 2003, 09:19
Wesikim

I am in a very similar situation, and the info that I was given by the CAA, is that after passing the required 14 exams, you just need to pass the check ride on the sim. I haven't yet figured out how I am going to do this yet. I think I am going to need another pilot as well...

Incidentally, I have looked into this Bristol G/S as well, and it looks quite good. It is divided into two modules (8 exams/6exams) After completing each module you travel to the UK for two weeks for a review, and then you sit the exams. It seems that the pass rate is extremely high. However it will cost you a bit more cash - and our dollar is not very strong compared to the pound.

Hope this helps.

PS I have looked into the JEPP Course, and you have to order it from Europe. The North American division does not stock the kit.