PDA

View Full Version : Concorde on a barge to Manhattan Museum

FLYMATE
25th Nov 2003, 22:41
What a sad sight to have seen Concorde on the top of an old barge going down the Hudson River to it's final resting place. What an end to the most beautiful aeroplane ever made. Wonder how B747 will be comemmorated, don't think the same way. Although sad to see, Concorde still looked radiant and futuristic on it's way to a good earned rest.

Dop
26th Nov 2003, 00:28
Picture here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/photo_gallery/3236462.stm) - it's the second picture in the set.
Very sad.

Jerricho
26th Nov 2003, 01:18
Yeah, somthing about seeing it on a barge just didn't look right.

May she rest well.

FLYMATE
26th Nov 2003, 03:17
I didn't immediately click the second picture and got a picture of a bus tipping down a hole in the road! But yes Concorde should have gone into history a different way. Shame on BA for doing it the way they did, well actually Air France were worse, they just discontinued the aircraft with little to no fuss...

crewrest
26th Nov 2003, 23:40
I was there yesterday morning, freezing my nuts off by the Hudson River.

Quite sad to watch it pull alongside the Intrepid, looking absolutely immaculate, I hope they keep it that way.

redfield
27th Nov 2003, 04:52
I hope they keep it immaculate as well, but last time I was in New York many of the exhibits on the ship weren't in good external condition....

MAN777
28th Nov 2003, 00:17
I have visited this museum and agree that the exhibits are in poor condition, the constant climatic extremes and salty air will take their toll on this once proud bird. Its new home is totally unsuitable. Shame on you BA for this poor choice.

eurostar builder
28th Nov 2003, 00:58
how much was B.A paid :confused:

Zoom
20th Feb 2004, 22:15
Saw said Concorde at the weekend and it just looked totally out of place, to say nothing of being completely dwarfed by the USS Intrepid. How will it look when the battleship USS New Jersey joins the collection soon?