PDA

View Full Version : RT exam practice papers

Ian_Wannabe
25th Nov 2003, 22:35
Hey everyone,
I have my practical RT exam tomorrow and I was just looking around on the net to see if I could find any practice "PPL confuser-type" questions to help me get my head into the type of questions I'll be asked. But I didnt have any luck

I have the CAP book for the RT sections, but it goes on quite a bit and I'd like something which was a bit more direct for the exam.

Does anyone have a link or anything that would help me out?

Thanks in advance,

Ian :ok:

montster
25th Nov 2003, 23:09
Have a look at the CAA website Safety Sense Leaflets

.http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/general_aviation/document.asp?groupid=231

The Radiotelephony one runs through an example RT practical.

In the exam you'll most likely have to do A/G departure or arrival, get a FIS, get transit through controlled airspace, Mayday, relayed Mayday, VDF and MATZ penetration, so make sure you can do all that.

Keygrip
25th Nov 2003, 23:34
Ian - there are no "questions" on the practical test.

As 'monster' says, it's a theoretical flight from A to B with a possible diversion to C.

If you have CAP413 (the R/T book) then there is a profile in the back of that (if it's not too much trouble for you to study it).

The R/T book is very direct for the exam - as you could be called upon to do any part of any one of the VFR sections.

The only thing you don't really NEED, right now, is the IFR portion (so you can skip that if you are looking for the easy way out).

Couple of things spring to mind -

a) Are you really considering taking this exam having no knowledge of the test at all, and

b) why isn't your school or instructor helping you when you have only one day to go??

YYZ
25th Nov 2003, 23:47
You could always ring the examiner and ask a few probing questions? Most are more than happy to give advice.

Special VFR caught me out briefly during my test...

KCDW
26th Nov 2003, 00:58
Another tip. Don't say "bye" when changing frequencies. Most of us do it in real life, but they don't like it in the exam. When I did it, my examiner said it contributed to my not getting an "excellent" rating :{

StrateandLevel
26th Nov 2003, 01:07
"I have my practical RT exam tomorrow" and I was just looking around on the net to see if I could find any practice "PPL confuser-type" questions to help me get my head into the type of questions"

Its a Practical Test.

CAN YOU WORK THE RADIO using CORRECT PHRASEOLOGY?

YES or NO thats the only question!

It takes about 16 hours of training to be proficient, how much have you done?

If you have done all of the things on this form you should sail through:
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FORSRG1171.pdf

Evo
26th Nov 2003, 01:10
It isn't that bad... I replied "Station calling, say again" to a Mayday call I was supposed to relay :O :O :rolleyes: lots of swearing from the next room as the examiner rewound the tape, but I still passed... :)

Ian_Wannabe
26th Nov 2003, 23:48
:O :rolleyes: :O I feel so stupid.... I meant to type "RT Written exam"..... Not the practical - oops... not thinking straight !

Sorry about that, I realise there's no questions as such in the practical...

I know whats involved in both the practical and written, I'm just looking for a few extra helping aids.

BTW i've done 44hrs so I'm hoping I'll just need these questions to remind me of the terms not used that often etc.

Thanks for your help anyway, further to the question, any written examples? :confused:

Thanks

montster
27th Nov 2003, 15:50
Ian,

For the written test, the Trevor Thom book is probably your best bet because it covers the technical stuff about radio transmissions, equipment etc., which will probably be in the exam, but not in CAP413.

I have heard somewhere that the new PPL confuser now has a section on RT, so maybe that's worth a look.

Evo
27th Nov 2003, 15:57
If it isn't in CAP413, it isn't in the exam.