PDA

View Full Version : The Soviet Nimrod

routechecker
24th Nov 2003, 18:44
Hi, after posting the this story in the ATC humor thread I realised that I never actually found out what happened to the mentioned crew.
Did they get their fingers slapped or something? Hope not...;)
Anyone remembers this?

Many moons ago, in the mid 80's, there I was working Ground at Lajes in the Azores. Glorious summer morning.
Please bear in mind that this happened before the Wall came down.
Now, Lajes ATC was, and still is, manned by mixed nationality ATC's from the USAF and the Portuguese AF.
British Nimrod calls up for clearance. We get it off Santa Maria OAC, and about 20 minutes after that he calls for taxi.
Since he's the only thing moving in the field I'm only kind of glancing at him every now and again.
Almost in slow motion the guy working Flight Data (an American) gets up, reaches for the binoculars and goes "What the Fk ...???"
You see, the Nimrod has a kind of hatch on top of the fuselage, which in this occasion was open.
Out of it was one of the crewmembers happily waving a HUGE SOVIET UNION FLAG.
Out of a British Nimrod.
In a Nato base.

Needless to say, the Americans went beserk.
Crash phone activated for a possible hijack, military police cars full of armed boys swarming all over the aircraft, fire engines blocking the runway.

In the mean time, trying to control my tears of laughter at both the british joke and the look on the yanks faces, I managed to tell the, by this time having serious second thoughts, aircraft commander to shut down is engines, open his doors and prepare to be borded.

Heard afterwards that he had a lot to explain to his Squadron Leader.

Cheers

BATS
25th Nov 2003, 02:42
The post incident interviews with a variety of v senior officers were a real wow and the captain didn't have much of a speaking part..........

All hearsay of course, but suffice to say, it didn't interfere with his career too much as he is currently a Wg Cdr. The culprit was the Flight Engineer who was subsequently commissioned and retired as a Sqn Ldr.

The Swinging Monkey
25th Nov 2003, 15:45
Oh how I remember the incident, just like it happened yesterday!!

I was on the same sqn as the crew responsible and, post interviews, the whole world (with the exception of the Americans at Lajes) thought it was a real hoot.

Well done to all those responsible - I still talk about it to old friends over a few glasses of Grouse - hic!!

Power to the Mighty Hunter, and those who fly her!

Kind regards

The Swinging Monkey
'Caruthers, do we have a photo of the said incident anywhere?'

BEagle
25th Nov 2003, 15:54
Typical lack of a sense of humour from the cousins - and typical Nimrod crew merry-making!

Lajes - always an interesting nightstop. The locals were very pleasant and put up with the antics of RAF crews without much complaint - except for the thieving little wretches who tried to steal something from the Hotel Angra (sorry to relate, they were baby Nimrod rear crew... Shame they let the side down on that occasion).

'10% Carlos' was a reliable Mr Fix-it - any truth in the rumour that he's no longer used and that since the RAF has stopped using him, things often turn to poo?

bluetail
25th Nov 2003, 23:45
Oh how I remember the said Flight Engineer, I was actually an apprentice with him, he had a wicked sense of humour.

This was not untypical of him,

And by the way the story is one of legend at Kinloss, rates about the same as him trying to borrow the Brass Gun in Gib.

Sideshow Bob
27th Nov 2003, 17:35
B-Eagle, I was in Lajes only last week and the first person through the door after we landed was Carlos, He still provides everything, buses, hotel and in-flight catering. You name it, Carlos can fix it.

BEagle
27th Nov 2003, 19:34
Excellent! Good man, that '10% Carlos', I'm glad he's still the resident Mr Fix-it!

Once when we were delayed and had to move hotels when accommodation was tight, Carlos announced he'd found a 'very nice hotel' for my crew. He always specified 'Nice room for Commandante (Captain)' - and so I found myself enjoying a night in the Presidential Suite at the Hotel Nasce Agua - top one on the island!

If you get the chance, ask about the fish restaurant his friend runs. We went there (he ran us there and back in another friend's bus) - it was a brilliant night. Prawns the size of small sea monsters, smothered in garlic and grilled on a wood-fired griddle. Delicious!!

Hotels and restaurants - them were 't days. No $odding tents and MREs!

stbd beam
29th Nov 2003, 01:15
I sent him off the jet in disgrace last week only to return if he was wearing his 'Carlos - Mr Fixit' badge gifted to him by a certain ISK Sqn. He returned 60 seconds later all smiles with badge attached. Top bloke, don't care how much % he creams off.

Roland Pulfrew
1st Dec 2003, 03:25
TSW

In that case we know each other, along with RMPA and MightyCrewSeven. :hmm: I was on the crew at the time of the incident and remember well how the P1 then proceeded to beat up the tower when we were finally allowed to depart!! Then we went to Gib, then to Sig, then not back to Gib to pick up our kit!!! Quietest trip I have ever been on!! :uhoh: :uhoh: