PDA

View Full Version : Deleyreaction in typing on the net

Aerodynamisist
24th Nov 2003, 17:08
Having unexplainable trounle when typing on pprune as it runs sloww and there is a large delay in typing and when it apears on screen have run defrag virus check and deleted all cookies and internet files but still no joy any clu's ?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
25th Nov 2003, 00:39
Aerodynamisist,

What is:

The Speed of your Processor?

The Amount of your RAM?

The Size of your Hard Drive?

How much Free Space does your Hard Drive have?

What Operating System are you using?

Take Care,

Richard

fobotcso
25th Nov 2003, 04:29
Richard, I'm terribly sorry but I'm irritated beyond belief by this poster and his post and I can't contain myself. You are really too kind to respond. I don't have your patience.

Anyone who claims to be an aerodynamicist but can't spell it, nor appear, nor clues, deserves to be ignored.

I've ignored the "trounle" typo as we can all do that, but some attempt at punctuation would have shown a degree of tidiness of mind that would have made it worthwhile trying to help.

So, Mr D, go away and order you mind; come back when you can structure your problem in a way that will inspire a willingness to help you.

Phew! :(

Aerodynamisist
25th Nov 2003, 14:53
Naples I have a p3 500 with 184 meg Ram was 64 added 128 less 8 for the borrowed video mem. Running windows 98 and explorer 5. System worked fine up till last week can't think of what may be causing the problem but thought it might be a trojan or virus, any help would be much appreciated .

fobotcso I never claim to be an aerodynamicist I am in fact a chief pilot of a charter operation in Australia but all the good names were taken when I signed up for pprune, any one with a little common sence might attribute my poor spelling and punctuation to the problem at hand. I can fix my spelling and punctuation with time and effort but you will always be a W@nker.

fobotcso
25th Nov 2003, 18:44
As I thought, another Aussie who can't take a beating without whingeing. :) :)

But, to the matter at hand, I assume you mean Win 98 Original and not Second Edition.

So my guess is that this is RAM or Swapfile related.

Try going back down to 64MB RAM for starters. You can have too much RAM in some configurations and the processor spends a lot of time and energy just servicing the memory and not getting on with the job.

Make sure you are not restricting the SwapFile size; it should be 2½-3 times the amount of RAM. That's WIN386.SWP in the Root directory if you are managing it yourself.. It may be corrupt; you can delete it and when you reboot it will be recreated. It's best to let Windows manage it. (That's My Computer(right click)>Properties>Performance>Virtual Memory).

If you use the "Briefcase", make sure you are not overloading it.

Stop as many background applications as you can and see if there is one that is hogging the resources. (You know, the Ctrl/Alt/Del routine).

Hope you will soon feel better.:)

seacue
25th Nov 2003, 21:37
Back the dark ages of network computing echoing of characters could be done by the host, not be done locally. There could be a long delay if you had it set up that way.

Is it still possible the get into a mode where typed characters are echoed from the host rather than locally?

Just a wild thought.

SC

Naples Air Center, Inc.
26th Nov 2003, 01:39
Aerodynamisist,

With a PIII 500 and the amount of RAM you are running, you should be able to type without issues in the forums.

One question I did not get the answer to is the size of the Hard Drive and the amount of Free Space left. It could be if your hard drive is full, the computer is having trouble caching. If you see your Hard Drive light on when you are having lagging issues, that could be the problem.

If you think you might have a Virus, run:

Trend Micro's HouseCall (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/)

Take Care,

Richard

The Nr Fairy
26th Nov 2003, 12:26
seacue:

You're right in your recollection.

However, in a browser window the text is managed locally (for want of a better expression) and only when the "submit" button is clicked does the text get sent to the remote server.

PPRuNe Towers
26th Nov 2003, 20:39
The above is correct - the only echoing on PPRune is the within the bank balance:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: I'm afraid it is an issue local to your machine setup. I've seen this on java applet input like chat but not for our composition box.

Regards
Rob