PDA

View Full Version : Adenosine Injections (ECG)

Scenic Route
24th Nov 2003, 16:53
Hello,

Has anyone had an adenosine (spelling?) injection in relation to their ECG and can they tell me what it was like please?

Ta muchly,

SR

Flyin'Dutch'
24th Nov 2003, 20:26
SR,

Adenosine (spelling was correct) is used in people with a tachycardia.

Usually for treatment purposes.

Is that any help?

FD

Scenic Route
24th Nov 2003, 21:34
Hi FD,

The powers that be have told me I may have the human equivalent of a short through my heart, as my P wave on the ECG is too quick.
I have been told that I can have an adenosine injection to prove wether my heart beats normally or not but that while I undergo this I will probably feel like I am actually dying.:uhoh: :ouch:
I was just curious to know if anyone had had this done and what they went through (being really morbid, I wondered if anyone could describe how they felt while the drug was cruising through them!):ooh:

SR
Taking the scenic route to a class one medical

DSR10
24th Nov 2003, 22:18
Look at
nhsdirect.nhs.uk
all is explained

Scenic Route
25th Nov 2003, 00:40
DSR10,

Thank you for the link.

It isn’t actually the ‘science bit’ I’m after, but peoples experiences in this area instead. On the huge assumption that some other wannabe or pilot has at some point had to go through it! I'm hoping someone has gone through it and lived to tell the tale.

Ta,
SR

QDMQDMQDM
25th Nov 2003, 17:19
Having injected this stuff into people on quite a few occasions, it makes you feel weird and a bit faint for a second or two, often with a feeling of chest tightness and flushing, and then you feel OK again. It slows down electrical transmission between the atria and the ventricles for a few seconds and can stop the heart transiently. It is generally a very safe drug.

I am presuming that in your case you are due to have electrophysiological studies on your heart, including the injection of adenosine, because otherwise it is used only in the acute treatment of supraventricular tachycardia.

QDM