PDA

View Full Version : Eva Interview

Dropout
24th Nov 2003, 05:52
Hi guys I would appreciate if you can pass along how is EVA's interview procedure and how long it takes cheers

Penske
25th Nov 2003, 22:21
Found this interview report about EVA. It was from November 2003. Good luck.

Interview experience:
Application for F/O POSITION I went for Taipei from LAX(USA).After 14Hs30min, in a terrible and terrible EVA`S economic class with a cold passenger in my side we reached Taipei. I went to EVA`s building and I went to my apartment. My simulator text was at 11AM in a day after.I was in a terrible JETLEG. The check pilot was a B767 Pilot Chief, Mr. Harryman, famous for provide bad valuations for many pilots,including pilots from major Airlines and some Brazilians CAPTS. I went for a briefing and after few minutes we went to a rest area to get a cup of coffe.I was with a new Chinese F/O(with 600hs on type0 during brifing time Capt Harrymam told to our F/O to provide me everything only with my request.( SO, I WAS ALONE) After my first take off Mr Harryman got me a LNAV FAULT.it was not in the Airline Program. I saw a fault and I made a SID procedure using Heading select.we went to 5000ft. for a Stall Maneuver and Steep Turns.In my descent procedure He gave me a left engine shut down. I made a request to Eva`s F/O to put me a hold over SEDUM (position) to make all checks and return to Shan Kay Sheek Airport. He was very confuse and never he made the correct holding. After this he was reading in-flight engine startwithout to provide me a correct navigation and withouyt any other help.My famous Chief Pilot was statarting a radar vectors to reduce my problem.He made a vectors and I was around 2000Ft. above the Outer Marker so I made a Single Engine missed approach and again with LNAV fault.After this again I was flying to SEDUM and again I had the same problem with my hold. I was one more time under radar Vectors and another ILS without succes.My field was closed.Another missed approach and again my colleague was LOST. I was a JOKE!!!! Again Radar Vectors and I went fopr another Single Engine ILS. At this time everything was OK.At 1300Fts APROX I was increasing my rate of descent and I had an advisory SINK RATE 2 Times My colleaguewas trying to recomend me another missed approach,because I had a small rate variation(300Ft).I t was visual with Runway in sight.Everything was done without auto Pilot. After my landingour F?O sad tto me: -CONGRATULATIONS AFTER EVERYTHING YOU MADE A SAFETY FLIGHT AND SAFETY LANDING. Without debriefing I went to my APT. Two hours later I got a call from Mr JASON ,Flight OPERATIONS DEPT.saying that I was not well and he was trying to put me in a first flight back to LAX,in the same day. I got 1 day more because I was very,very tired. Remember it was my FIRST OFFICIAL TIME in a B767. My suggestion if you are planing to make an valuation with this guys: - You must make a very good simulator minimun 3 sections.with a very good instructor. You must understand all aircraft navigation,auto-pilot operation,CDU operation.You must fly single -engine and Remember YOU WILL BE ALONE>>(Remember my F/O )You must to go 2or 3 days before your simulator date. Try to go in a businee Class Avoid Mr Harymam!!!!!!!!!!Try to have another Good Luck!!! PB!!!!! For interview remmber to study performance and FAR(AIM)

Dropout
26th Nov 2003, 05:21
Thank you IPELLAT for the information it looks that was not and easy ride..... I will try to get some time on the sim before I go I never have been on the 67 cheers

Jim Morehead
28th Nov 2003, 04:19
Ipellat..I take it that EVA didn't take you or you didn't want to go there. When somebody puts you on an airplane on short notice, that doesn't seem good.

I can tell you at the sim evaluation I did at CAL that they weren't trying to see if you knew their procedures. They wanted to see if you had reasonably good CRM, could call for things when required, and got to the runway every time.

I think that companies are just making sure that you are not a truck driver or taxi driver and know what those little switches all do (or at least half of them)!

At CAL,(can't speak for other places in the world), you do the interview,simcheck, and medical in a different order depending on what day of the week YOU are assigned. If you don't do well on something, you generally don't move to the next step. All of these cost moeny and I am sure the same at EVA since they are in Taiwan.

What was the EVA outcome or did I miss your final answer?

Penske
28th Nov 2003, 08:23
Hello Jim:

I did not do an interview with EVA.

In response to the initial posting, I cut-and-pasted a report from a pilot who shared his experience with EVA on the aviationinterviews.com website.

There are a few other ones there on EVA from pilots who had a more conventional assessment during their interview process.

Regards, and thanks for all your input on PPrune. Very enjoyable to read your stuff.

CFIT
28th Nov 2003, 16:19
So, if one were to get hired at EVA at the moment, between B747-400, MD-11, and A330, what would be the fleet to go to?

Jim Morehead
29th Nov 2003, 03:22
Ipellat and CFIT
On EVA, I didn't mean to exclude some EVA friends I have made. I have heard that they don't pay as well as CAL, but don't have their pay figures at all. A number of Aussies did go to EVA and some now at CAL even applied their. EVA did have a 9/11 layoff where CAL did not. And a few who were hired at EVA did not go there for some reason and ended up at CAL. They seem happy at CAL. But I have no numbers.

EVA does give their pilots living accomodcations and I understand that this is in lieu of a housing allowance. Their buildings are out towards the CKS (main ) Airport in a green EVA building. Some day it is like a dormitory.

Others now at CAL used to work at EVA and still live at NANKAN near the CKS Airport. Some like it and an equal number do not. Many like the closeness to the International Airport for the travel time issues and others like it for the cheaper housing. Some of CAL's pilots are at Nankan. Some have come "downtown" and tell me that NANKAN is boring with nothing to do. So the opinions run all over. I also think EVA may have more expats and EVA is smaller than CAL.

We've had some of the EVA guys in the CAL crew room and they like to drink beer and tell stories like the rest of us <bfg>!

I also went over to an EVA airplane last week to look at their airplane and cockpits and theirs are almost exactly like CAL's. They even invited me to have a coke with them,but I told them that I couldn't that I was in the middle of a walkaround (Yes Captains do walkarounds at CAL)!!! It was a good experience.

So the EVA guys are O.K. as you would expect. They make the houses smaller on takeoff like we do!!!

CFIT
27th Dec 2003, 16:20
Just wondering if EVA are getting enough applicants, keeping in mind the way they laid off many of their pilots after 9/11 (from what I've heard, it weren't pretty), and the upcoming deliveries on the B744F, B777, and A330. Have they learned their lessons?