PDA

View Full Version : One more unemployed frozen ATPL....

Megaton
24th Nov 2003, 02:44
Last Thursday after an epic 2½ hr trip, HP finally joined the ranks of unemployed pilots after completing his IR. Not the best trip in the world and I shouldn't imagine Richard Branson will be beating a path to my door but a first time pass is enough to make me happy. Thanks to all at Atlantic and especially RR who got me through the test in pretty much minimum time. :ok:

It's a long slog but it certainly felt worth it when he handed me that little slip of paper. In the dark, long days of the exams I wondered if I would ever get this far. And even now I'm still coming to terms with the fact that this phase of my training is now over. Good luck to all those still in training. PPRuNe has been my inspiration over the last 3 years and without it I most definitely would never have made it this far.

Chuffer Chadley
24th Nov 2003, 03:16
In deed...

As a fellow newly-qualified fATPL, does that mean that we have to have a fight over who gets a job?

I have a feeling the pain has only just begun...

Ciao!
CC:E

PS: Mr Branson, if you ARE reading by any chance, then please feel free to PM me...

BoeingMEL
24th Nov 2003, 05:54
Keep smiling and be proud fellas! Been there and done that 30 years ago..... you'll have many great days and disappointments in the years ahead but....... it should be worth it in the end! bm

flyerstar
24th Nov 2003, 16:12
Congrats HP, a first time pass is awe inspiring as they say.......just some questions, did you go integrated or modular, how long did it take you and what was the total cost of the course.

Thanks for your reply.

Northern Highflyer
24th Nov 2003, 17:13
Well done Ham

By the time I get to your stage I have no doubt you will have been hurtling around the skies and got many hours under your belt. I liked the comment on how you felt when doing the exams. Yes you guessed it, that's where I am at the moment.

Now you are qualified don't forget us wannabes when we need help. :ok:

The Greaser
24th Nov 2003, 18:30
HP

Congrats mate, that is great news!

Gazeem
24th Nov 2003, 18:41
Well done HP,

good work getting a first time pass,

I know you lot do nothing all day long, but you are not really unemployed are you?

All the best!

Midland Maniac
25th Nov 2003, 18:28
well done mate. I am sure that you are glad to get the IR out of the way for another year!!!

Be positive about the job situation though. I graduated just after Sep 11th, and managed to get myself into an airline within in a year. One thing that helped was a PMA (Positive Mental Attitude). Because you are going to get lots of rejections through the post, but keep plugging away and that one offer of a job may just drop on your doormat!!

Happy Hunting!!

MM :ok:

Megaton
26th Nov 2003, 03:14
Thanks for your kind words. Greaser, Easyjet, wasn't it? How's it going? You'll be doing your command course soon? And I can't believe I'm taking banter from Gazeem about work! It's obviously time I got a proper job.

Flyerstar,

I've been going down the modular route for the last few years. Approx costs are:

PPL £3000 (NVQ tax rebate RIP)
FAA IR £2000 (cheap subsidised USAF school)
Hr building in the US £500 (mate gave me his aircraft for $15/hr wet)
Exams £3000 (or whatever it cost from Bristol - good value though 'cos no resits)
CPL at European Flt Training - can't remember what the exact cost was/is but it's on their website
MECR & IR conversion course at Atlantic approx £10000

I guess all in the the total cost must be in the region of £25000 but I have been lucky with first time passes in the exams and flying tests without going over the minimum times.

Good luck to you all and stick with it.

HP :ok:

flyerstar
27th Nov 2003, 17:38
Hi HP,

Thanks for your answer. I am trying to work out an average cost for the ppruners who have just completed thier IR. Needless to say students going to the big schools end up paying more (usually) for thier integrated course. I must say you were quite lucky with the hour building!! Though i guess you have not included accomodation and living costs is'nt that so?

Now you have to concentrate on the MCC and I would recommend doing a JOC as it will give you a big advantage for future line flying. Good luck!!! and take care.;)

1pudding1
27th Nov 2003, 20:49
Hi,

Where did you go for your PPL for £3000? Was that in the US, or will I find lessons anywhere that cheap here?

Thanks.

Andy_R
29th Nov 2003, 09:14
That would have been in the days pre-JAR, when one was able to claim NVQ tax relief which reduced the cost of the PPL quite drastically. Sadly no more :{

Megaton
29th Nov 2003, 22:48
I doubt you'll find PPL lessons that cheap these days. The school I went to wasn't particularly cheap in itself but the tax relief helped considerably. I was also quite lucky with the CPL and hour building in that I was living and working in the US anyway and had access to some cheap accommodation deals through my employer. The low cost of my training is partially due to careful selection of training providers but luck has also played a large part in it all.