PDA

View Full Version : Excel Airways - Hows it doing?

mgerrard
24th Nov 2003, 02:17
Just been told by a friend that Excel Airways closed down last Tuesday.

I've not seen any reference to it anywhere, anyone know if it's true?

mad_dog
24th Nov 2003, 02:23
Some how, I don't fink so!!!!

Not sure where your friend got that info from. They just posted jobs on their website yesterday, plus they still have standing contracts for Ryan air.

Shackers
24th Nov 2003, 02:29
Excel are doing a number of charters for the MoD. I doubt this would happen if they were going bust!

ID90
24th Nov 2003, 05:25
I'm told Excel have just signed a year-long contract with 'GoldenCaribbean' to op a Gatwick-StKitts- Greneda-Gatwick triangle with a 767. Gives them a years work for a 767 with no financial risk to themselves - sounds like good news..

charterguy
24th Nov 2003, 20:31
I read somewhere (either Travel weekly or TTG) that Excel Airways had to bail our their parent company Libra with a £16m loan. Guess they had no choice, because without Libra, no bums on seats. Without bums on seats, no Excel. There is just too much capacity to the Eastern Med, and with Cyprus joining the EU, its bound to get worse, before it gets better.

CG

cleared24right
24th Nov 2003, 22:22
Don't think so,

Read here:-

http://www.jethros.i12.com/FLEETS/Listings/EXCEL.html

XL ONE
24th Nov 2003, 22:37
Definitley not gone bust. Spoke to crewing a few hours ago about my flights tomorrow. Also just completed training for the 757 and volunteered to help with recruitment of new cabin crew.

Were doing long haul 3 times a week, djibouti flights for Dallo airways, xmas trips to lapland, MOD flights to kabul and Kosovo along with the usual canaries, egypts etc.

We have however closed down the Glasgow base for the winter and may have stopped flying from regionals airports - that could be why you heared we had ceased flying

NACUD
24th Nov 2003, 22:44
Yet again we have another outrageous thread, on the demise of an airline, which is being allowed by the moderators to remain on Rumours and News.

These types of threads serve no useful purpose and only causes great concern amongst the employees of the companies highlighted.

I am quite sure that if one of the companies, that any of the senior moderators work for, was mentioned in the same way as Excel has been on this thread, that thread would not last one minute.

surely not
24th Nov 2003, 22:59
Just a shot in the dark but there is a small Belgian airline called Air Exel, does anyone know whether this was referring to them?

mono
25th Nov 2003, 00:30
NACUD,

Unless I am mistaken, the web site we are on is called the professional pilots RUMOUR network.

Unless you missed the point The heading of this section is RUMOURS and news.

What part of RUMOUR don't you understand!!

Sheesh

:uhoh: :ugh:

stalling attitude
25th Nov 2003, 00:31
the poster comes from New Jersey. are we sure that it is not a US carrier that he was talking about.

Avman
25th Nov 2003, 03:08
There's:

Air Excel in Tanzania;

Excel Airways in the UK;

Air Exel (KLM Exel) in The Netherlands;

and an Excel Air Charter in Batton Rouge with a single Twin Commander 800.

There was also an Air Exel in Belgium too but I think they disappared years ago.

Hamrah
25th Nov 2003, 04:50
NACUD,

Fair point.

H

mgerrard
25th Nov 2003, 08:02
Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I was referring to Excel Airways in the UK who operate B737's and B767's, although the 767's are operated on their behalf by Air Atlanta.

It seems like my friend was wrong and they are still operating. I apologise for starting a rumour that was unfounded and could have upset or caused anyone concern for their livelihoods.

Mark

Hamrah
25th Nov 2003, 15:16
mgerrard,

If you want to, you can go back and delete your original post, which will cause the whole thread to disappear.

Just a thought.

H

JAFCon
29th Nov 2003, 04:40
mgerrard, should be praised for admitting an error and gets my whole hearted support for admitting it,

It takes a lot to admit you are wrong and many people should take a leaf from his book to many people havent got the b@lls to admit an error and just love to slag people off who have.

But the main point here is that this is a Rumour Network and all Rumours should be aired even if they prove to be in error, sometimes the first you hear about something is via a Rumour.

Caslance
29th Nov 2003, 04:53
Hear, hear!

If only more people held their hands up when they're wrong or mistaken.

Kudos to you, mgerrard - and don't listen to your mate so much in future. ;)

MissChief
30th Nov 2003, 15:08
The upset is caused by a nasty thread title appearing every time we look at Rumours/News. This could be taken up as newsworthy by any number of contemporary journos, and appear in the press almost immediately.

Should the administrators not modify the titles like this, to prevent misleading rumours being converted to "news"?

And apart from the press side of things, imagine the upset to each Excel employee exposed to the title.

I am not recommending censorship of any contributions to threads, simply suggesting that banner headlines be edited sensibly, where necessary.

And the apology was indeed well done.

Avman
30th Nov 2003, 16:53
Well for me there's a big difference between "Excel Airways gone bust?" and "Excel Airways gone bust!"

The former clearly implies that it's a question and should therefore not be taken as a fact. If the poster had not included the question mark, or had inserted an exclamation mark, then it could be considered as misleading.

As it stands, the headline is quite acceptable to me in a news and rumours forum.

flyergirl10
30th Nov 2003, 18:29
But, if they haven't gone bust, and it's no longer a rumour, why is this thread still on Pprune?

Take it off now, mgerrard!

Cakov
14th Jan 2004, 07:45
...from the FT a week or so ago:

Excel Airways heads north as profit soars

Shares in Excel Airways were up 17.4 per cent at 155p in late morning trading in London on Tuesday after the charter airline and seat broker said its full-year profit to October 31 soared by 296 per cent to £13.4m.

Turnover in the period grew by 36 per cent to £247m.

Excel said its performance in the period was fuelled by the successful launch of its low-cost charter services to the Caribbean.

Earnings per share almost trebled to 9.68p from 2.69p after Excel sold almost 1.8m seats on its own and other services.

Eamonn Mullaney, Excel’s chairman, said: “Our Winter 2003/ 2004 season programme has been substantially arranged and we are in the process of finalising the arrangements for the Summer 2004 season.

In view of the progress that has been made with customers and passengers to date, the programme established for our aircraft over the quiet Winter 2003/04 season and the growing demand for low cost seats, we look forward to the future with considerable optimism.”

Hamrah
14th Jan 2004, 14:41
Thread title changed.

H

Wing Commander Fowler
15th Jan 2004, 01:57
Well done H... shoulda bin dun ages ago!!

Mad-Air
16th Jan 2004, 21:42
Well take a look at www.ukoma.org and also the company website: www.excelairways.com

You'll notice a heck of alot of positions are becoming available send a msg to XL ONE or PRB44. As I'm sure they could give u more information. Cabin Crew are always required.
Excel will have another base at GLA this summer (as per the last two seasons) and also are looking at a summer base at NCL (one 737-800) for Flight crew & Cabin Crew. This would supplement the other carriers flying for the Excel Group based at NCL.

:ok: