PDA

View Full Version : Large military transport fleet required!

Dan Winterland
23rd Nov 2003, 19:08
Now that there has been a hull loss of a civilian aircraft supporting a military operation, we can expect the insurers to either refuse cover or increase premiums to an unviable level thus reducing the airlift capability of any military operation.

Discuss.

Blakey875
23rd Nov 2003, 19:32
Does every freight hauler insure their hulls in the West? I was wondering who insures all the AN124s? Maybe's if the price is right the Soviet Air Force may step in? Other options may be to buy/hire on the cheap and man with military crews. Whatever the outcome I know there are still operators out there willing to go anywhere if the price is right.

BEagle
23rd Nov 2003, 22:06
Yes - if the UK can't afford an AT/AR fleet to match Trust-me-Tone's poodling aspirations and Mad George won't lend MAC-air, then I guess we'll be relying upon mercenaries to make good the shortfall.

East-of-Suez policy anyone? Nope - we got rid of that when we scrapped the Brittanias and Belfasts.....about the time I was going through training 30 years ago!

RatherBeFlying
24th Nov 2003, 02:06
The Arizona boneyards are filled with flyable transport a/c.

And there's a legion of FS2000 geeks willing to take a chance just to get their mitts on an actual jet a/c.

Make the a/c and flights military so there's no bother with civil licenses and airworthiness:}

MrBernoulli
24th Nov 2003, 03:36
Dan W,

What hull loss was that? Pardon my ignorance but have had a weeks worth of checks and cats so 'outside' knowledge a bit thin at the mo. What happened?

Ahhhhh......would this be the Airbus at Bagdhad? I see.....

It had to happen. Basrah next me thinks.

Boy_From_Brazil
24th Nov 2003, 17:16
MrBernoulli

What a sad prat you are. I know some of the RAf guys flying into Basra on a regular basis. The aircrews and their families could well do without your uninformed predictions.

BFB

StopStart
25th Nov 2003, 04:28
Don't worry B_f_B, we're too busy worrying about picking the weevils out of the biscuits or falling into the portaloos to be concerned about getting shot down by the swarthy dervishes.

MREs anyone?

:ok:

Brain Potter
25th Nov 2003, 07:27
No, but I'll take a D-shaped pastie. :D

VP8
25th Nov 2003, 15:53
Quoted bt Blakey875

Does every freight hauler insure their hulls in the West? I was wondering who insures all the AN124s?

Ours our insured in London Why??

:confused:

VEEPS

StopStart
25th Nov 2003, 20:26
BP

Am stockpiling the D-shapes for your next visit. Moved on from them though, now feasting on Pot Noodles instead. Delicious and nutritious! Expecting scurvy by the end of the week.

:p

Hockham Admiral
29th Nov 2003, 16:41
BEagle, Hi

Reference your comment about 'all the Britts and Belfasts were scrapped...' The last Belfast is presently in Townsville, QLD and has flown over a 100hrs in the first thee weeks of this month!
You can't keep a good girl down!

BEagle
29th Nov 2003, 16:57
Only bad girls go dow.....oops, sorry:E

Came across the dear old Belslow at Dakar last year. After we caught up with him, we heard him plodding along at FL160. Worked out his TAS from the position reports and forecast wind and it wasn't difficult to understand why the only thing 'fast' about the Belfast was in the name. And I've always wondered why it had a machmeter!

Mind you, they gave excellent service under charter to the MoD when HeavyLift operated them!

As for these 'flag of convenience' ex-Eastern bloc military freighter aircraft being insured in the West, try claiming against one if it's caused damage to your property. You'll find it's probably 'managed' by a an umbrella organisation, operated by a separate company, owned by another, registered somewhere 'convenient' elsewhere - and probably 'insured' in some dingy back-office in Moscow (Corleonski Insurance - you aska da questions, we breaka your legs.......) and you won't get a cent out of them if you try.

DummyRun
30th Nov 2003, 02:41
Stoppers,

Come, come, Pot Noodles?,
There's a marvellous little hotel just down the road, wonderful fish and chips,and only about 400 notes, not including fizz of course, you just simply must try it!.

Load Moving.........

MrBernoulli
30th Nov 2003, 20:01
Boy_From_Brazil

"What a sad prat you are. I know some of the RAf guys flying into Basra on a regular basis. The aircrews and their families could well do without your uninformed predictions."

Thank you so much for your above comments. However, you're the uninformed sad, prat methinks because I AM one of the people flying regularly into Basrah.

I was merely commenting that it would not be at all surprising if this sort of attack was attempted in the south of Iraq. We have been very fortunate so far with our security measures and, of course, I hope they hold up.

However, if I gave YOU offence, I apologise. Nevertheless, anyone who DOESN'T appraise their family of all the risks involved in going in and out of Iraq is sticking their head in the sand.

Dr Unken B Ligerant
1st Dec 2003, 02:52
Actually Mr B agree with you on most things, being one of those sad and sorry types who also flies in and out of BSR on a regular basis also. However, is not appraising one's family keeping your head in the sand or, for reasons good or bad ( in my case, I would suggest the latter) just not bothering to worry them needlessly!:)

StopStart
2nd Dec 2003, 02:28
Mr D Run sir,

My many attempts to return to what I consider to be my spiritual home have, so far, failed. In fact the only time the sodding aircraft decides to go tits is not in BAH, DUB or FJR but instead a bombed out strip in the middle bloody nowhere with only a couple of tanks for company :(
My humblest, grovellingest thanks to the wokka that bought all those useful things that made my aircraft go again!

As for sticking ones head in the sand - not recommended at all; now it's rained the entire place is a full scale mock up of the Somme....I certainly won't be putting my head in that thank you.

:ok:

DrSyn
4th Dec 2003, 02:47
BEagle, I am sure we all had a chuckle at the Belslow's mach meter, not to mention those gauges which appeared to have been supplied by Harland & Wolff. During the early stages of development, and just before our aircraft industry was castrated, there were plans for a jet-powered Mk2 - envisaged as a British C141. The instrument was allegedly fitted with this in mind to save a later mod. That the entire flight deck might have benefitted from a complete redesign before launch is another matter!

StopStart, DUBlin is indeed a great night-stop and only a stone's throw from Rompers Green :) Glad to hear that you're enjoying your well-earned holiday, but I hope you haven't deliberately timed it to avoid the Gatbash!

StopStart
4th Dec 2003, 03:18
Dr Syn, whilst I'm sure that Dublin is a great nightstop I have, unwittingly, exposed a glaring deficiency in my knowledge of IATA codes. I did, of course, mean Dubai. I still have no idea what the correct code for it is and as such suspect that I will never be an A cat route queen :D

Why on earth would I want to miss the Gatbash?? I can't remember much about the previous ones but suspect they were probably quite good...... :\

PS. It's even muddier here now.....:(

PPRuNe Pop
4th Dec 2003, 03:32
SS.

Does that mean you will be at the bash after all? :confused:

Oh and IATA for Dubai is DXB. ICAO is OMDB. Just to show the 'ol box has not yet withered away. ;)

scroggs
4th Dec 2003, 23:53
Stoppers, me old, you simply must go to the ball, er, sorry - bash. Not least so's you can help me work out what the hell went on in the previous ones! Which was probably all your fault, so you probably owe me a beer ;)

Scroggs

DrSyn
5th Dec 2003, 08:17
. . . . A n d I've got a really great new camera to provide you with an even clearer memory of the event ---- afterwards :O

BEagle
6th Dec 2003, 22:01
Flopster, you were an utter ar$e to post what you did - it has now been removed by the moderator. Also, you probably broke the OSA with what you posted - so don't you dare to whinge about 'censorship'

Loose lips sink ships:mad: