View Full Version : Easyjet again/sponsored scheme

Fokker-Jock
23rd Nov 2003, 09:27
I'm an airline pilot with appx 2000 Total. I'm headed to Luton in December for an interview with Easyjet.

My question is this:
As a pilot with more than 1500 hours would I be eligable for a Direct entry SFO according to the sposor-scheme ?

Why is there a difference between the 25000£ over 5 year bond and to the 17000£ over 3 years bond that comes with the direct entry not according to the scheme.

I indicated in my application that I was willing to pay for my own rating, This was before I'd even heard of the sposorship scheme bonding you for 5 years with 5000£ salary reduction during those 5 years. I thought 17000£ over a three year period sounded managable.

Does anyone know ?

Daysleeper
23rd Nov 2003, 17:52
Try to avoid paying for your rating, (bit obvious) I know a couple of people who have gone recently, One at end of interview said yes he'd pay and thus had to pay, one said absolutely no way would he pay, he still got the job and didn't have to pay his rating. If you are experianced it is a travesty to make you pay for your rating, Its designed for people with no airline time.

Global TM
24th Nov 2003, 04:40
easyJet Type rating scheme???, not sponsored (self sponsored more appropriate).
If I were you mate I would not touch it with a flag pole.

Call it what you like, but I do not understand why the 5 year contract and reduced salary. Are your all blind?
I do not need a clarification, but it seems to me, airline time or no time it doesn’t matter, for this bunch it is all pay pay pay.
Crew retention might be one answer to it from what I gather on here.
Please need not reply, especially if you wear orange shades.
Pay to work???????? If you were a secretary and the boss purchased a new computer system surely he will pay for the training. Accountants, Lawyers, Doctors and all other professionals do not have to pay for their continued training, and let’s not mention the salaries that these guys earn compared to us all, plus the company cars etc.
Obviously it seems to me that Pilots happen to be the ones with no respect within the whole industry, despite the fact that it takes a lot more than just study to become a professional. Either way we have made our beds from thorns. ENJOY.

Global TM

Fokker-Jock
24th Nov 2003, 06:24
Thank you all for posting.

Obviously I agree that it is morally discusting to have to pay up front for a type-rating. However I have set myself a goal, and drawn a path on how to reach it. One of the milestones includes getting that type-rating. The way things look now with my current employer, it seems I'm stuck in the RHS for the next 10 years on a Fokker 50. The fact that the aftershocks of 9/11 is used extensively by our employer to cut costs (more work, less pay) is intolerable, and so is the fact that we for the last 2 years have been constantly reminded that we face unemployment if the numbers don't change. I can't take it anymore, and if getting away means investing in a type-rating I may just do that. I'm sure the situation for you guys are different, hence unable to comprehend my situation. The way I see Easyjet is that it is a company enabling you to earn a fair wage (34k£ + sector pay) giving you maybe 700-1000 hours a year in a 60+ ton jet. It doesn't sound all that bad to me, compared to what I have now.

However if there is any chance of getting around the type-rating expenses, I'll guarantee you I surely will go that way.

Thanks again for your points of view!

Whippersnapper
27th Nov 2003, 22:50
Just be warned that money is not the issue that's creating such terrible morale there. I have taken a £9k pay cut that I can ill-afford just to get out of there.

sloniger
28th Nov 2003, 02:40
It'll be a lot more than a £9K pay cut if 'now' stop paying your wages!

Fokker-Jock, go to the interview, meet the people and decide then. Don't base your decision on the ramblings of an ex-eJ pilot.

Best Rgds,

Slonie.

:E