PDA

View Full Version : Intermittant ADSL Connection

Fujiflyer
22nd Nov 2003, 23:47
My Pipex ADSL "connection" has seemed to be progressively less reliable since it was (initially) connected in the September of this year. At that time it was very good - permanent fast access to Internet whenever a computer needed it.

I use a ADSL modem/router which is connected onto a 100Mb LAN via a hub. There are between 1 and 3 computers connected to this LAN at any one time. The LAN itself behaves fine however sometimes when I access the router it takes up to 30 seconds to display its (embedded) html information (ie webpages). With increasing frequency I then find it has dropped the WAN connection (ie the PPP connection to the ISP). I then have to "manually" reconnect. Sometimes it drops out within minutes.

Given the strange time delay which, as I said sometimes occurs when I access the router over the LAN I suspect the problem may lie with my equipment. Pipex were surprised that I was having problems (ie the disconnection) was not instigated be them. They have given me a contact telephone number to use if I believe the problem is theirs but as I have indicated I am not sure as of yet if this is the case.

Any suggestions / thoughts?

Rich

TheShadow
23rd Nov 2003, 00:31
DSL504 router intermittent disconnection problem was resolved by hooking it up to a UPS (uniterrupted power supply with good voltage and frequency stability).

That solved the problem. Take it off the UPS and the dang thing needs a manual reboot or a software reconnect about twice a day.

It's just another one of life's little irritations. I'm not sure whether something simpler than a battery-driven UPS might be out there on the market (that's capable of purifying the power).

Fujiflyer
24th Nov 2003, 01:31
TheShadow, thanks, I'll give that a try. I will probably just hook up a Pb battery to the modem DC input socket to try the theory, initially (ie make it independent of mains supply). I am surprised though if this is an issue as it started off fine and has then steadily became poorer with time, since September.

What is odd is how sometimes it takes up to a minute or so to access the router over my LAN. This should be almost instant once the IP addresses are set.

The Nr Fairy
24th Nov 2003, 13:03
FF:

if you can get sniffer traces in .enc format from the time the problem happens, gissa copy and I'll take a gander.

BlueEagle
25th Nov 2003, 05:01
Had a similar problem, similar time scale. Pinned it down to ZoneAlarm Pro, shut it down and all went well. Upgraded to latest version and, fingers crossed, all going well.