PDA

View Full Version : Zone Alarm version 4.5.5

Tartan Giant
22nd Nov 2003, 23:43
Whilst I thank ZA for their great free product, is anybody else slightly cheesed that the latest version spits out a violation "pop up" - when you try and post a message (OE6) with more than 50 on the address list ?

I was sending a congrats message - ENGLAND won the World Rugby Cup - to some of my email groups and they have more than 50 in the 'box', and since the upgrade this silly alert appears.

I cannot find an option that allows "transmit more than 50 email addresses".

Probably an intentional ploy to get you to buy the Pro version ?

Cheesed........ but still happy what ZA does for me/ my PC.

TG

Phoenix09
23rd Nov 2003, 01:17
Go into Zone Alarm and under E-mail Protection turn off Outbound Mailsafe Protection. That should do the trick... hopefully. :confused:

Tartan Giant
23rd Nov 2003, 01:25
Thanks Phoenix09, but I had that "disabled" right from the word go.

I've only got ON or OFF.............. it's not as you suggest, being able to turn off the "outbound" side of things.

MAILSAFE is either On or OFF....... and my AV suite (www.nod32.com) is doing OK for me.

I've written an email to ZA but as I'm low priority (freebie) no reply for two days.

Thanks anyway.

Cheers

TG

Phoenix09
23rd Nov 2003, 03:45
Sorry it didn't help. :(

I am using ZA 4.5.5 but am trialling the 15 day free Pro version at the moment and maybe the feature is only available in that. As you say probably an intentional ploy to get you to buy the Pro version. :(

Good luck with it...

Tartan Giant
23rd Nov 2003, 04:16
I can see myself just "restoring" to the older ZA version with no glitches.

Good job I made such a "restore" point !

All the best with the PRO version......... you get what you pay for as they say.

Cheers

TG

goeasy
24th Nov 2003, 01:56
Phoenix, I like you, was trialling the 'pro' version to, but got pi$$ed off at the dialogue box that pops up at startup. seemed that you had no firewall until you clicked the 'trial' item.

Totally daft and useless for me when I often startup the 'puta unattended to check emails.

So, I have canned the trial now, and just gone for the vanilla version. They lost a possible sale on me.

Mac the Knife
24th Nov 2003, 03:31
I've got nothing but good things to say about ZA Pro (full version).
After being a McAfee stalwart for many years on Win98 I finally gave up on their firewall - just kept misbehaving under XP. Wasted too many long hours on reinstalls and their users forum.

Gave up on their antivirus too and switched to Norton.....

Keef
24th Nov 2003, 05:14
I'm a firm supporter of ZoneAlarm v 2601 - it has the e-mail attachment filter (removed from all later freebie versions), and it does the job!

I bought ZA Pro, ran it for a month or so, and removed it to go back to 2601.

That plus Norton AV, and I'm happy.

Ausatco
24th Nov 2003, 06:21
I'm using ZA PLus with XP Home and am very satisfied. It has separate controls for incoming and outgoing mail.

Plus is only US$10.00 cheaper than Pro, but when I bought it, that was Oz$20.00. Exchange rates have improved - I think I'd buy Pro now.

AA

BOAC
25th Nov 2003, 05:29
On a different ZA tack - I still get a 'violation' warning on shutdown (W98SE and Free ZA) that 'vsmon has caused an error in kernel32.dll'. It does not occur in W2000.

I have exhausted all ZA help pages, Google and Jeeves and cannot find a cure. Anyone found one?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
25th Nov 2003, 10:37
BOAC,

This is all I found on the subject:

VSMON fatal exception - ZONEALARM (http://www.experts-exchange.com/Security/Firewalls/Q_20634412.html)

Hope it helps,

Richard

BOAC
25th Nov 2003, 17:55
Thanks, Richard - had found that one too! There is definitely no virus (onboard checker and 'housecall' pass).

Looks as if it is the 'pain' that goes with 'free'!:rolleyes:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
26th Nov 2003, 01:16
BOAC,

I think it is the joys of the old Win9x Kernel. :rolleyes:

Hope it helps,

Richard

BOAC
26th Nov 2003, 05:22
When do THEY start, Richard?:O