PDA

View Full Version : Sa Airlink Psychometric Tests

3 green's
22nd Nov 2003, 20:44
HI ALL

I AM OFF FOR PSYCHOMETRIC TESTING FOR A SLOT AT SA AIRLINK.:) ;) :p :O

ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO "PREPARE" OR WHAT TO EXPECT OR HOW IT WORKS...WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

CHEERS

406pilot
23rd Nov 2003, 11:36
hiya 3 greens,
i did a psychometric test about a month ago, it was a multiple choice written test in 4 parts,
1.numerals-where u had basic maths calculation
2.abstract-where u had to compare a lot of funny looking shapes
3.word-where ur read a paragraph and answer the questions regarding the paragraph
4.cpi- was a personality test with simple (464)
questions about urself in a true/false format.

the first three exams r time limited and believe me u can never complete thm in the time allowed,but thn they dont expect you to either. i did all i could in terms of preparing myself for the test over the internet but honestly u cant prepare for it,u either have it in you or u dont..and u cant cheat at it either.

i did it 4 Air tanzania(49%SAA owned) so i guess u will be doing something similarmy only advise is keep some headache pills near by...and by the way the results r confidential to the employer so u will never know if ur a psycho or not..all the best

406pilot

OverRun
23rd Nov 2003, 18:01
The psychometric tests CAN be prepared for.

I tried the free test below at the guardian - and got a pretty poor score, because I'm not "current" in these tests. I re-sat the test this morning and got 17% extra. Bit like preparing for a sim check I suppose

Psychometric tests are not testing your knowledge or memory. They are testing your aptitude for various tasks or trying to reveal a more accurate assessment of your personality and temperament in the workplace. However, it does pay BIG TIME to practice and thus familiarise yourself with typical questions, particularly in aptitude tests. Quite often a mediocre score can be vastly improved with practice.

My personal choice is to get hold of one of the books of practice tests for the SAT test - there are books on 'sample SAT tests' and such-like in any university bookshop or good bookshop near you. Or you order them off the internet. Alternatively, here are a couple of websites where you can download tests to practice (sometimes for a price):
http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/sat/prep_one/np/test.html

http://www.careerpsychologycentre.com/solutions.htm

and a free but very short one at:
http://money.guardian.co.uk/work/psychometrics/0,1456,589733,00.html

Tips for taking psychometric tests
1. Don’t panic - it’s not rocket science and the difficulty of questions (in ability tests) has a wide range to accommodate everyone. They may seem complex but often the correct answer is the most obvious and simple one. By panicking you will only inhibit your intellectual functioning.
2. Try to be systematic with your answering and stick to a routine for analysing the questions. If you are limited by time then avoid wasting time on difficult or confusing questions, preferring to return to them if you have time left over at the end. Avoid 'skimming' to seek out obvious easy answers. This wastes time.
3. Test administrators follow a standard set of instructions. Don't be worried if they seem a little rigid or unfriendly - this is what they are supposed to be doing and it helps to ensure that everyone takes the test under exactly the same conditions.
4. If you wear glasses or a hearing aid then take them along. If you have any disabilities tell the test administrator about them beforehand.
5. Get a good night's sleep beforehand and remember to eat breakfast, it will improve your performance. Do not do something silly like gulping down several cups of coffee, it will leave you jittery and affect your concentration.

Abstract problem solving
These tests are designed to measure your ability to identify patterns and extract meaning from a mass of seemingly random or very complex information.

Be aware that:
* The simple or obvious answer is often the correct one.
* There is usually only one correct answer.
* There is often a common theme to every shape or pattern in the question.
* There is usually one characteristic which every option shares e.g. size, colour, position, shape.
* The answer you find first may be correct to a degree but not the most obvious ‘correct’ answer. Remember to read all possible answers before completing the question.

Numerical reasoning
These tests mostly involved your calculating ability. In the case of numerical problem solving, the actual mathematics involved may be very simple, but you are being assessed on your knowledge of how to apply them.

Some questions involve sequences and patterns. Look for simple sequences first, do the numbers increase or decrease? Is there a common denominator? Is there a relationship between positive and negative figures? Then begin looking for combinations e.g. add one, subtract two, add three, and so on.

In the case of items requiring multiplication or division you may be presented with very complex numbers. These may be an attempt to see how well you can look for the 'bigger picture'.

Remember to consider the role of whole numbers, odd numbers, integers and prime numbers. For instance they may present you with several huge numbers and you need to identify which are divisible by an even number (say 200) to produce a whole number, this therefore eliminate anything ending in an odd number.

Sometimes, seemingly impossible problems can be solved easily by applying some lateral thinking. Remember your basic mathematical principles, for example, anything divided or multiplied by zero is zero. Two even numbers multiplied by each other will produce another even number. Any number ending in zero that is multiplied by any other number, will always produce another number ending in zero.

A negative and positive number multiplied by each other will produce a negative number. Two negative numbers multiplied always produce a positive number, and so on.

Verbal reasoning
These tests assess your understanding and skill with language comprehension, spelling and grammar. In these tests it’s very important to read each question carefully.

We often skip from word to word and pick the general meaning of a sentence. When we are asked to look at specific aspects in a sentence or set of words, then we have to concentrate on individual words or even letters. This is something we may not be used to doing.

Remember:

* Pay attention to detail, this is one of the principal objectives of these tests.
* Concentrate on a single word or even letter at a time. Re-read a passage or sentence if it isn’t immediately clear, or possibly ambiguous. Avoid the habit of taking language for granted, skipping over words or assuming the meaning, these tests take advantage of this and try to catch you out.
* Read each word carefully. Sometimes similar sounding or similar looking words are put in to confuse you and add irrelevant 'noise'.
* We have a habit of recognising whole words as patterns rather than individual letters. You may be caught out with the difference between wander and wonder, which could change the entire meaning of the sentence.
* If you are unsure of the meaning of a word, try a process of elimination of the wrong answers to find a possible correct answer.

beechbum
25th Nov 2003, 22:12
Have just been to the Psychos myself but not for Link but for another local crowd. They are quite hectic to say the least. Take some headache tablets with you as you're going to need them. The brain goes into overload about half way through. Don't try and second guess the personality test, it will catch you out. Be honest and don't bull:mad: the phsycologist as he is quite astute in picking that up aswell. Be positive!!!! The mental alertness test is tricky but straight forward if you practice beforehand. Try number sequencing and word association to put you on the right track. There is also a spacial acuity test and a mechanical reasoning test!!!
By the way I made it so it can't be too Bad!!!!!!!!
Just work quickly and accurately and you should be fine..............
But the headache afterwards was a pearler!!!
Good luck!!!!::ok: :ok:

3 green's
3rd Feb 2004, 22:42
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

thanks all for the great advice - really really appriciated

"passed psycos"

sim training almost over

mmmm really really great

thanks again

planecrazi
3rd Feb 2004, 23:51
Great to hear positive feedback-Well done 3 Greens:D

George Tower
4th Feb 2004, 02:59
Hi 3 greens

Congrats on your sucess with Airlink. If you have the time I'm sure that a post on their recruitment process, sim training and line training etc would be much appreciated by those of trying to break in to the industry.

Best wishes

GT