PDA

View Full Version : Junk Sms Adverts - Success!

BEagle
22nd Nov 2003, 19:08
I got so fed up with these inane junk sms text messages which get-rich-quick scammers bombard us with, that I reported one to ICSTIS.

Pleased to say that I've just received the following from ICSTIS:

"The company was found to be in breach of the Ninth Edition of the ICSTIS Code of Practice for the following reasons:

a) The promotional material failed to advise recipients of call costs.
b) The service was found to be misleading.
c) The promotional material failed to give significant terms and conditions such as the closing date.

As a result of the above findings, the service provider has been barred from operating this service for a period of 12 months and would thereafter be required to amend much of the service and promotional material should they choose to operate this particular service again. In addition to this, the company responsible will have to pay for the cost of our investigation."

That's one of the bug.gers shut down - I hope that others will suffer a similar fate!

But it really wouldn't take much effort to add a 'filter messages' option to mobile phone software which would allow either blocking of all incoming sms, blocking of sms received from numbers not in the phone or SIM card memory - or just 'accept all'... Mor use than silly games, cameras or other gimmicks!

BRL
22nd Nov 2003, 20:17
Hi BEagle. Excellent result. Do you have an address for the ICSTIS?

BEagle
22nd Nov 2003, 21:39
Try www.icstis.org.uk

They even gave me the correct phone no. and address of the organisation they'd shut down.

PersonallyI think that all sms advertising should be banned - and that the phone service providers should make greater efforts to stop this harrassment of their customers.