PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Brabazon, what aircraft would you bring back?

Mr Proachpoint
22nd Nov 2003, 19:08
Thought I'd open up a discussion topic on the the following;

What one aircraft would you have brought back to life to perform just one air display?

It's probably been dragged out before BUT...........

For me, the first one that springs to mind would be the P-61.

Any thoughts?

MAPt

Zlin526
22nd Nov 2003, 19:26
For starters........

Handley Page Halifax
Handley Page Hampden
Heinkel He177
Messerschmitt Me410
Focke Wulfe Fw189 (Hurry up Jim!!)
Reid & Sigrist Snargasher

Philip Whiteman
22nd Nov 2003, 19:31
Martin-Baker M-B series, complete, please!

JDK
22nd Nov 2003, 19:49
We may well see a P-61 flyer from the New England Air Museum IIRC. There's a very odd looking replica MB-5 being done in the US - vaguely like the real thing...

One that comes up again and again is the deHavilland Hornet. Was voted most wanted on two Warbird polls I'm aware of, and it would be something to see.

Personally, please Mr Weeks, let's have the Tempest II or the Sunderland fly?

Cheers
James

treadigraph
22nd Nov 2003, 20:11
Well, I have heard that the Weeks Sabre Tempest won't fly - SHAME, SHAME, SHAME! If that's wrong and it does, then IMHO it should spend at least a season flying in the UK in fornt of an appreciative UK audience.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the TFC Beaufighter...

Against all probability? The HP-42. I believe there is a team whose goals is to achive an HP-42 replica, may they succeed.

PS. Well Done England! Yaaaaaayyyyyy!

Gainesy
22nd Nov 2003, 20:40
Avro Lincoln.
Avro Shackleton.
Avro Vulcan B.1.
Blackburn Beverley.
Gloster Javelin.
HP Hastings.
HP Victor B.1.
Vickers Valiant.
Vickers Varsity.

And apart from re-living my youth, one I never saw flying, Westland Wyvern.

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Nov 2003, 20:42
Gloster E28/39

R100

Sea-dart

G

Dr Illitout
22nd Nov 2003, 21:27
I agree with all of them and I would like to add the B-36. The ultimate anti ETOPS aircraft, six props and, just to be on the safe side four jets!!!.

BEagle
22nd Nov 2003, 21:50
Well I do remember the rather noisy 'Willie Wyverns' from the days when Westlands were working on them at RAF Merryfield, about a mile from where I lived at the time in the early 1950s. There's now a gypsy site where their hangar was, just next to it were the pits for the vectored thrust Meteor trials...

The one ac I'd really love to see flying would be a DH Hornet.

bolmas
23rd Nov 2003, 00:22
E.E LIGHTNING MK6, FULL AIRTEST SCHEDULE.

Tony_EM
23rd Nov 2003, 04:23
I'd love to see a Stirling fly formation with a Lanc and some of the other heavy bombers mentioned.

They had such a proud stance

That Beaufighter is looking good, as is the Sea Fury. Can't wait.

Dr Jekyll
23rd Nov 2003, 04:49
Concorde.........

seafuryfan
23rd Nov 2003, 05:03
De Havilland Hornet
HE 219 Uhu
Tempest V
B-36 Peacemaker
Vigilante
XB-70 Valkyrie
The biggest Russian Ekranoplane ('Caspian Sea Monster')featured on a documentary a couple of years ago

Captain Airclues
23rd Nov 2003, 07:43
DH 88 Comet

Dassault Mercure (only joking!)

Fris B. Fairing
23rd Nov 2003, 08:19
For most Aussie aviation enthusiasts it would have to be the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation CA-15. But then we have to have something to dream about today!

Cheers and congrats England

Daysleeper
23rd Nov 2003, 18:12
Dh Mosquito,

fantastic British aircraft, same bomb load as a B-17 , virtually uncatchable, great night intruder, photo recon, The original Multi-role aircraft ( with nod of the head to the beaufighter)

Or

Sopwith Camel (ahh Bigglesworth)

Sleeve Wing
23rd Nov 2003, 22:22
Gotta be a DH Hornet, hasn' it?? Still one of the text-book beauties.
Failing that, I'll go along with the Beaufighter. What a superb sight that will be.

( Well done England. One in the eye for the Sydney Daily Telegraph !!)

Rgds,
Sleeve. :ok:

Whispering Giant
23rd Nov 2003, 22:40
How about - Bristol Brittania
Bristol Freighter
Avro Lancastrian
BAC 1-11
HS Trident
Comet
Baulton Paul Defiant

Gainesy
23rd Nov 2003, 23:44
I forgot: Supermarine Scimitar.

I have control
24th Nov 2003, 00:22
JU87 Stuka... to hear the sound of it coming right at ya, as well as see it fly...

dada
24th Nov 2003, 00:53
cv990 coronado - what a beest

Tonkenna
24th Nov 2003, 01:06
Gotta be the TSR2, I would love to have seen that fly.

Also the jet powered Viscount was a good looking jet.

Tonks :)

vintage ATCO
24th Nov 2003, 07:15
all of the above . . . . :D

and

Fairy Gannet
Fairy Rotordyne
Bristol Freighter
Avro York
Cierva Autogiro
Miles Marathon
Short Sunderland or any big flying boat
VC10
etc etc

but the aeroplane I'd really like to see in the air again, and possibly based at Shuttleworth, is a Mosquito.

and of course, Concorde, but not necessarily based at Shuttleworth :eek: :D

RIP Concorde 26Nov03

VA

henry crun
24th Nov 2003, 08:50
If I were forced to make one selection it would be the Hornet.

vintage atco, I can see some merit in most of your choices but the Miles Marathon ? :confused:

tharg
24th Nov 2003, 10:15
Agree with all the above but, gentlemen, I give you... the Saunders Roe SR45 Princess flying boat.

Big n beautiful (http://1000aircraftphotos.com/PRPhotos/SAROPrincess.htm)

Tim Mills
24th Nov 2003, 13:29
A great list of suggestions! My choice would be the Curtiss engined Fairy Fox, a beautiful aeroplane and faster than the fighters of its day. My father flew them with 12 Squadron, and took part in one of the early Empire Air Days, at Hendon I think.

Not many built, but a classic, and looked better than the Rolls Royce engined version in my opinion

BEagle
25th Nov 2003, 14:56
If we're talking Saunders Roe, then make it the SR53. It represented the swansong of British fighter development - before the wretched Duncan Sandys killed the UK manned fighter programme for ever - the last fighter being the Lightning; SR 177 would have followed SR53..........

No, on second thoughts, let's stick to the 'Termite Queen' - the DH Hornet!

Hairyplane
25th Nov 2003, 15:00
As a died in the wool Miles enthusiast (Naaaaaaah! Really?......You'd never have guessed -

So - apart from every Miles aircraft that was ever built...

The aircraft I would really like to see in the sky -

FW Condor
THe DH aircraft that looked like a big Rapide with 4 engines ( I know I could look it up but I'm a bit stretched today..) - wow - wouldn't that be welcome at Woburn?? Wasn't somebody hoping to recreate one some time back?
DH Albatross
JU87
JU88
Do17
ME110
FW190 - what a machine the Butcher Bird was. Can you just imagine what a crowd puller that would be?
Defiant
Hampden.................................................

Dream on.

Gainesy
25th Nov 2003, 17:01
Vintage ATCO,
VC10???
Still in RAF service.:)

AirportsEd
25th Nov 2003, 17:23
How about an airship or two?
I'd pay to see something like the Graf Zeppelin or R101 - wouldn't want to be underneath one though!

BeauMan
25th Nov 2003, 20:25
I can't really narrow it down to one or two, but various types stand out for me:

Handley Page HP42 - what an incredible piece of engineering that was for it's time.
XB-70 Valkyrie - WOW!
Beaufighter - because I've got a bit of a thing for them.
Me262 - in formation with an early Boeing 737, so that I could see whether Boeing really did copy the wing planform... ;)

And of course all the extinct types which carried our young men into, but unfortunately not always out of, harms way between 1939 and 1945. Stirling, Whitley, Albemarle, Manchester, Maryland, Baltimore....

willbav8r
26th Nov 2003, 01:22
Hughes H1 racer :{

atb1943
27th Nov 2003, 04:28
I can distinctly remember the Brabazon flying over our house near Pondtail, Fleet that year. S'funny, whenever I conjure up that thought, it's always that particular view, and it's static. I even think we ran indoors because it frightened us. Shadowy. Same feeling I guess the Zeppelin must have made over the stadium in Berlin in '36.

So I'd like to compare it with the Do-X please.

And yes, Hairy, a FW-190 too. Got a whiff of it last year when the fully blown replica started it's (Chinese?) engine for the first time in public at Manching. Didn't last long, but what a throaty roar!

And I'd like to hear for real the noise a Doodlebug made (and them shoot it down wiv me cannon).

And now, over the black sheds, the Bristol 188.....

Fris B. Fairing
27th Nov 2003, 06:04
Wot, no Canucks on this thread? Looks like an Aussie will have to do it for them:

Avro Arrow

Cheers

LOMCEVAK
28th Nov 2003, 04:57
I agree with the DH Hornet (sadly, unlikely).

I also agree with a FW 190, preferably an 'A' variant (possible).

But let's get Bf 109G2 "Black 6" airborne again. It may be in Hendon, but it needs very little work.........

treadigraph
28th Nov 2003, 06:05
Black Six, good call Lomcevak. Did you ever get to fly her?

Hornet, oh yes...

Blind lemon
28th Nov 2003, 20:19
In order of preference

Any of the large Russian Ekranoplans, like the KM with 10
engines weighing in at 540 tonnes and capable of 500 kph, or
the A90 Orlyonok.

Any of the large Airships, in particularly a Zeppelin.

Numerous Squadrons of B17s flying overhead. Its a noise thing.

Lastly the unique jet powered Viscount, or did I dream it

:D

treadigraph
28th Nov 2003, 21:09
I suppose that strictly speaking all Viscounts are jet powered but I know the one you mean: or are we both thinking of the Avro Ashton?

LOMCEVAK
29th Nov 2003, 03:10
treadigraph,

I most certainly did have the privelege of quite a few hours in "Black 6". And before anyone even thinks it, my last ever landing in it was a good one!!!!

Rgds

L

treadigraph
29th Nov 2003, 05:12
Lomcevak: I thought so! (not regarding landings he added hastily!) Best riposte ever! I am determined to buy you a pint and to bend your arm a little in a different direction. We have something slightly (in my case) in common!

Best regards,

Treadders

BEagle
30th Nov 2003, 01:33
Hairyplane - the 'big Rapide with 4 engines' was the DH86 Express. Very pretty looking it was too, by all accounts!

vintage ATCO
30th Nov 2003, 03:55
Well, yes, sad git that I am, I remember the Derby Airways Marathon's landing at Luton on the grass. Just would like to see one again, or am I trying to re-capture my youth??? :confused:

EI-TURKEY
30th Nov 2003, 12:20
Please do not ask me why, but I would love to see and fly in an Airspeed Oxford. Is it true that the writer Nevil Shute whas one of the people who designed it ?
Others, Blenheim, Hampden, JU-88, Stirling, Whirlwind, Wellington,.............

Loki
1st Dec 2003, 04:53
I`d like to see some of those ever so slightly mad R&D aircraft brought back, just to gawp at, eg the Avro 707, or the Bristol 188

surely not
1st Dec 2003, 06:07
How about the Shorts SC1 research aircraft. I have very vague memories of this from about 1962.

I would very much like to see the Beaufighter fly again, is there any news on the Duxford machines first flight?

the egg man
23rd Dec 2003, 15:54
how about the shorts sunderland.
i worked on the last flying type that was bought to the uk from the virgin islands by a mad millionair, ,we rebuilt the wing in 1989 after the storm in 87 damaged the starboard outerwing .
the aircraft was stored in chatham docks and flew in 90,but was sold to ryanair who sold it on to a collector in the states where it lies now in a mothballs.

MKA149P
1st Jan 2004, 23:28
Although I am far too young to remember them...an Empire Flying Boat...that must have been the ultimate way to travel!!

Airbedane
3rd Jan 2004, 04:38
A Hornet, or Sea Hornet at a pinch........

tharg
3rd Jan 2004, 11:18
Needs must add my vote for the Sunderland - thought Kermit Weekes' one was airborne. If mothballed, how sad! That's Florida off me hols destination list then. Saw that particular ship when she came to Upper Pool of London in 1980s (?)

Was in 26th-ish floor of Blackfriars office when someone shouted "Look - a Sunderland flying boat". I got halfway through shouting back: "No way. Only flying Sunderland is in the Antillies..." When big red-and-white beauty rumbled majestically past me window.

Saw a Coastal Command Sunderland take off from Thames in 1950s after "courtesy visit" to Upper Pool - awesome!

Saint-Ex
3rd Jan 2004, 16:08
MB-5. How is the US project going?

Morrissey
4th Jan 2004, 21:58
Somewhere I've got a picture of a Sunderland moored next to HMS Belfast, that sure was a memorable sight that is unlikely to be repeated.

Having an Empire tracking the old route down Africa would be the ultimate. I'm sure there must be a market for luxury (unfortunately) round the world trips, stopping off in out of the way locations wihtout the hassle of routing through major cities.

Imagine flying into the Andamans or dropping off in the Pitcairns for a nights stay.

Eric Mc
9th Jan 2004, 01:52
Hi all - my first post.

I had the privilege of seeing the Antilles Air Boats Sandringham (VP-LVE) do a low level beat up of Dublin Airport in 1977. Captain Charles Blair had flown her up from Kallaloe with the aim of landing in Dun Laoghaire harbour. He then decided that the sea was too choppy for a landing so asked Dublin tower if he could do a low level pass along Runway 24. Permission was granted and it was an impressive site to see and hear this thing beating down on the old control tower at Dublin.

What a sight.

Sadly, Blair was killed in the crash of one of his other flying boats the next year and the Sandringham never came back to Ireland.

I'd agree with most of the suggestions for "What I'd like to see flying". What about a Vickers Valiant?

TURIN
14th Jan 2004, 20:40
Forget the R101, how about the proper job the R100, Barnes Wallis at his best.

While were on the subject, how about an "UPKEEP" fitted Lancaster in full working order blasting round the North of England's reservoirs?

Arclite01
17th Jan 2004, 04:31
What about the:
ME323 Gigant Assault glider (powered version)
ME163 Comet

JDK
17th Jan 2004, 07:46
Um,
You are not going to believe this, but there is a bunch in the US (Where else?) planning & building a (glider -phew) Me163... Project X or something...

MB-5 project. I don't want to be rude, but it was at Reno this year, and looks VERY rough around the edges. Also looks like it ran into a wall - too short & fat. Points for trying, but...

The Sunderland G-BJHS. Let's remember it was basically hounded out of the UK by media attacks, Chatham 'Historic' (pah) Dockyard kicking it out, Ryanair messing up on a deal etc, etc. Thankfully at least Kermit is keeping it, flew it (not shoped dismantled) to the US, and it might fly again... If you don't support it, it goes.:(

My vote goes to a Sea Hornet.. Yow...

Cheers
James K

WG774
17th Jan 2004, 09:01
I`d like to see some of those ever so slightly mad R&D aircraft brought back, just to gawp at, eg the Avro 707, or the Bristol 188

Do you mean like this (http://www.handleypage.com/img117.gif)

:D

D2 (http://www.gsansom.demon.co.uk/vfaero/oneoff/bac221.jpg)

707A (http://www.gsansom.demon.co.uk/vfaero/oneoff/707a1.jpg)

Comet, Vulcan, Concorde, Valkyrie (it'd be too surreal to see an XB-70 flying)

How about the flying bedstead (http://www.gsansom.demon.co.uk/vfaero/oneoff/rrtmr.jpg) :D

TheNightOwl
17th Jan 2004, 11:48
Firstly, the BAC TSR-2, closely followed by the wondrous F4 in 74's colours. A sight to behold!!

Kind regards,

TheNightOwl.:ok:

WG774
18th Jan 2004, 00:48
Out of interest, did anyone know that Maggie's govt looked into reviving the TSR-2 project in the early '80s? What a shame it came to nothing...

The mighty TSR-2 (http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/tsr2/history.html)

Mac the Knife
21st Jan 2004, 02:30
Convair B-58 Hustler

Fascinating aircraft

Loki
21st Jan 2004, 05:45
Always had a thing for jet flying boats eg the little Saunders Roe fighter....still exists, its in a museum at Southampton. Be great to see that going again.

treadigraph
21st Jan 2004, 06:20
Remember the pic of it at Farnborough, Geoffrey Tyson inverted... super!

B-58 - saw a sad pic of an entire wing after arrival at Davis Monthan... never seen one at all, let alone airborne... sniff..

JDK
21st Jan 2004, 06:25
The SRA-1 engine ( one of them) was in Donald Campbell's Bluebird when he was killed at Conniston...

But you can see & hear it fly again - on the Pathe website (www.britishpathe.com - it's not for profit so I hope it's OK to post Mr CamelP?) Takes some finding, but there's a couple of nice shots of it alighting and flying past.

Enjoy!

Cheers
JamesK