PDA

View Full Version : Luton, TBI & Gordon Brown

Buster the Bear
22nd Nov 2003, 04:55
http://www.lutontoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=541&ArticleID=694446

Gordon's backing airport expansion

'Chancellor recruited to Luton's cause, says MP Moran'

Iron Chancellor Gordon Brown has been recruited to the campaign for a huge expansion of Luton Airport.

With an announcement on the airport's future expected within the next few weeks, Mr Brown is said to be ready to add his weight to arguments with transport ministers over the importance of expansion for Luton.

It is a major boost for supporters of an expanded airport following reports last week that the Government could freeze Luton out of plans for the expansion of air services in the south east of England.

Keith Brooks, head of TBI, which operates London Luton Airport, has raised his concerns about the impartiality of the Government's relationship with BAA, the owner of Heathrow and Gatwick airports.

But, last night, Luton South MP Margaret Moran revealed that she has had talks with Mr Brown over the future of the Luton airport.

She said: "Gordon has kept a close interest in Luton, particularly since the Vauxhall closure and often asks me about us. So I have now got him to help persuade the Transport Minister that the impact on the local economy will be critical."

Miss Moran added: "I'm delighted Gordon is putting his considerable weight alongside mine to persuade transport ministers of the importance of expansion for Luton."

A decision is expected in early December.

21 November 2003

LTNman
22nd Nov 2003, 16:50
There is something unsavoury about this governments and the last Tory governments relationship with BAA. BAA are in a win, win, win situation by owning London’s big three airports with Luton sitting on the side hoping for a few crumbs. For Luton to hit the big time it will have to join the BAA stable before government see its potential. :{

LGS6753
22nd Nov 2003, 17:37
Sorry, LTNman, whilst I agree with your motive to obtain the right recognition for Luton, I disagree with 'joining' BAA.
The only coherent answer is for the Monopolies Commission to investigate the ownership and funding of London area airports. Their recommendation would almost certainly be to break up BAA, which would remove the subsidies from Stansted, and allow Luton to grow organically without having to compete against an unfairly financed competitor.
I notice LTN has lost out (again) to STN on the Air Polonia flights to Poland. This sort of incident is a scandal, and is being paid for by passengers using LHR and LGW.