PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Atlantic back to Short Haul?

Mark Lewis
22nd Nov 2003, 04:33
According to Jethros, Virgin Atlantic has acquired SE-RCF, an A320 that previously belonged to Goodjet, and before that Virgin Sun. It has taken on the reg of the previous Virgin Sun plane, G-VMED as well.
RB used to run a Heathrow Athens service with an A321, does anyone know if a similar thing is to be run using this?

Buster the Bear
22nd Nov 2003, 04:51
G-VMED was indeed registered to Virgin Atlantic on Oct 15th 2003. Total hours: 9739, built in 1999.

Come on PPRuNers, what, what, where etc?

dwlpl
22nd Nov 2003, 07:53
Richard Branson told the media in Liverpool recently (Nov 7th) that his airline could open up the Liverpool/Heathrow route.

The article with the quote 'Sir Richard Branson has already pledged to consider restoring the Liverpool to London air link - if landing slots at Heathrow are opened up to his Virgin airline' can be found at http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/capitalofculture/news/page.cfm?objectid=13599735&method=full&siteid=50061

sevenforeseven
22nd Nov 2003, 14:39
The answer is no,no,no.The aircraft mentioned is owned by Virgin Atlantic and perhaps the lease is up.
British Midland flew the route with DC-9 A/C and from what I know it was a very poor route in terms of loads,sometimes 3 pax and never more than 20.Unless things have changed and Liverpool has become prosperous,the answer is no,no no,no sorry.

chiglet
23rd Nov 2003, 01:24
See the VLM thread.
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

jethro15
23rd Nov 2003, 03:43
GVMED is currently parked up at Bordeaux whilst arrangements are made to had the a/c back to the lessor. It will not return to service with Virgin

jethros
UK and Ireland Airline Fleet Listings
http://www.jethros.i12.com

Daysleeper
23rd Nov 2003, 05:52
Mark

Uk Aircraft registrations cannot be re-used, so if the aircraft comes back onto the reg, it can either have a new reg or its own old one back but cannot have one that has been previously allocated.

Buster the Bear
23rd Nov 2003, 17:17
http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/aircraft_register/ginfo/search.asp

Do a search on G-VMED.

LTNman
24th Nov 2003, 01:39
Seem to remember Virgin flying 727’s and Viscounts out of Luton when they first started flying short haul.

TCX G-FCLH
25th Nov 2003, 06:04
If Virgin do want to go back to short Haul, why not just, start up Virgin Express into England? It would be easier then re-branding a/c in the Virgin Atlantic Colours, when they all ready part of the Virgin Group. Any way Liverpool - London Heathrow won't happen. Not enough appeal to Liverpool.

TCX Lima Hotel

Headset starter
26th Nov 2003, 02:24
TCX,

I think you're wrong - there is appeal to fly from Liverpool to London, but whether you could justify the LHR slots is questionable. I flew on the easyJet service from LPL to LTN a number of times and it was always a good load factor, and since then, the population has grown and people are waking up to the fact that travelling down on the train with no heating (or whatever problems they may have) is really not much fun.

I'm not sure putting an aircraft with anymore than 50 seats would be viable, but something like a F50 or Embraer down to LCY would (IMHO) be a goer.

HS

KAT TOO
26th Nov 2003, 15:03
You won't get a 145 in or out of LCY a 135 is iffy if wet

World of Tweed
26th Nov 2003, 16:32
I would be incredibly happy is VAA did restart the LPL - LON route to any of the london airports.

I'm still puzzled as to why Easyjet hasn't started the route up from LGW considering the loads the BA has on LGW-MAN route.

My family are about 30min from LPL vs. 1hr from MAN and the train is a no go if you want to arrive home before midnight on a Friday evening.

(also as I Work for VAA would mean I'd be able to get home cheaply.....not that this infulences my opinion you understand.)

Headset starter
26th Nov 2003, 16:57
Ok, so you would take the Emb 135 as it is certified, and what are the chances that if you market the product correctly, a nice new(ish) shiney jet in comparison to an old turbo-prop should bring people in to fill the seats.

I live 20 odd mins from MAN, and 40 odd mins from LPL, and it would make no difference travelling between the two for a good service.

If you think how Liverpool is featuring in the news with the City of Culture etc etc, there must be an increased requirement for travel between Liverpool, London and the continent. Anyone with the money and inspiration would benefit from the city crying out for a decent link with other important cities.

HS

jmc757
26th Nov 2003, 23:41
I know that british registrations cannot be re-used after they have been allocated, but do the rules change if it is the same aircraft out on lease. For example countless British charter aircraft go off to Canada in the winter and assume C- canadian registrations, then return in March/April and take up their former G- British reg's.

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
27th Nov 2003, 07:06
Yes they can re-use the old registration for the same aircraft
when they return off lease or come back to UK after sale to another operator

Golf India Bravo