PDA

View Full Version : House Prices in Lincoln Set to Rise

Phoney Tony
21st Nov 2003, 23:11
RAF TO 'CENTRALISE' IN COUNTY

10:30 - 21 November 2003

Hundreds of military personnel are to move to Lincolnshire - cementing the county at the heart of the British RAF.

The Ministry of Defence intents to expand operations in Lincolnshire and is considering moving extra staff to three existing airbases.

Its aim is to centralise the RAF's support, communications and surveillance units in one area of the country.

Four action plans are being considered. They are:

To move 600 staff from RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire to RAF Scampton near Lincoln.

To move 1,500 staff to RAF Scampton, including the 600 from Brize Norton and others from RAF Boulmer, in Northumbria, RAF Sealand, in Cheshire, and RAF Neatishead, in Norfolk. This option would also see personnel move to RAF Coningsby, near Woodhall Spa.

To move the control and reporting centre from RAF Neatishead in Norfolk to RAF Coningsby.

To move staff from RAF Boulmer's control centre and flight school to RAF Coningsby and to move RAF Neatishead's control centre to RAF Waddington, near Lincoln.

The MoD is expected to decide which option it will pursue in the New Year and staff would be moved gradually, over the next five years.

A spokesman for the MoD said Lincolnshire was chosen for expansion because of its existing operational duties.

"The reason why Lincolnshire is being considered is because the review is about centralisation," she said.

"The RAF already has assets in Lincolnshire and it makes sense to centralise there. The whole ethos of this review is cost-effectiveness."

PLUS

300 Plus on 5 Sqn
Numerous Extra Mushroom Farmers.

Where are we going to put them all!

soddim
22nd Nov 2003, 00:47
Have to cancel Euroblighter - does anyone remember that project?

FEBA
22nd Nov 2003, 01:04
If Lincolnshire is set to become Crab County, then house prices will go down, not up ! :E
I'm selling up and moving to the Wallops

;)

FEBA

Phoney Tony
22nd Nov 2003, 01:22
FEBA

Lincolnshire has been 'Crab' County since before WW2.

Ali Barber
22nd Nov 2003, 01:55
Should make the targeting a lot easier if the world situation changes dramatically again!

Tandemrotor
22nd Nov 2003, 03:14
Phase two of HMG's plans involve centralizing RAF operations to a shed at the back of that nice little hotel in Woodhall Spa that served GG and his chaps so well sixty years ago!

This is progress!!

Blacksheep
22nd Nov 2003, 03:29
House price rises? Should fix the house price crash that happened when they closed Scampton then. There used to be more of us in Lincoln than Yellerbellies until the end of the Cold War.

Its about time their Airships made their bloody mind up, marching the men up and down the same old hill...

Through difficulties to the cinema

The Gorilla
22nd Nov 2003, 05:22
Any body who believes that which is printed in the Lincolnshire Echo wants there head examining!!

Maple 01
22nd Nov 2003, 07:03
Just to pull two topics together,

With the 'centralisation of the RAF' AKA 'Options to sell off camps'

the Fighter Control world may, or may not be off to Scampton,

Which is nice, better than Boulmer, which is possibly under threat itself,

"I’ve seen it, it's a smelly old shack full of dead flies"

is probably the best thing I can say about the place.......any chance of Bawdsey/Patrington coming back?;)

-Nick

Ali Barber
22nd Nov 2003, 15:40
The Lincolnshire Echo are holding a poll on-line:

"Are you glad to see the RAF plans to strengthen its links with Lincolnshire?"

So far the vote is 95% in favour, which means we're either popular or there's already a lot of us there!

oh-oh
22nd Nov 2003, 15:51
Phoney Tony:

"To move 1,500 staff to RAF Scampton, including the 600 from Brize Norton and others from RAF Boulmer, in Northumbria, RAF Sealand, in Cheshire, and RAF Neatishead, in Norfolk. This option would also see personnel move to RAF Coningsby, near Woodhall Spa."

I think you will find that RAF Boulmer is in the county of Northumberland and RAF Sealand is in the county of Flintshire.

;)

FEBA
23rd Nov 2003, 03:26
Phoney Toney
Lincolnshire has been 'Crab' County since before WW2

In view of the exagerated price rises of real estate in the region, an MOD plot to move you lot in en-mass is clearly a cynical attempt by the government to drive the prices down. I think that the RAF should be based in Angelsey where we can't see you.
:E
Bye
FEBA

Training Risky
23rd Nov 2003, 18:38
Angelsey? Where's that then? Is it near Anglesey?

FEBA
24th Nov 2003, 02:00
Training Risky
Thanks for the subtle hint. Having been born in the place when the old man was based at Valley I ought to know how to spell it. Anyway we digress, you lot should still buggre off there.
Oh and if it's you in those slingsby things flying over the vale (XU) , quit upsetting the Turkey's at the farm, I've ordered one for christmas.
FEBA
:ok:

SirToppamHat
24th Nov 2003, 02:58
Wondered how long it would take for this to get out!

Looking at the news today, I see the Army is about to lose some Regiments (allegedly), and I guess that means that the RAF and RN are also about to lose some stuff.

If there is a move to re-occupy Scampton, where will people live? I believe that most of the FQs were sold off as surplus to requirements a few years ago ... anyone shed any light on this?

STH

BEagle
24th Nov 2003, 03:07
Mmm - yes. Another Anus homes/MoD triumph?

RubiC Cube
24th Nov 2003, 17:33
WE could always do another Chivenor - build some new FQs and then close the station again.

Mr C Hinecap
24th Nov 2003, 18:21
Oh PLEASE stop these rumours! I escaped the cursed county of Lincs and the LAST thing we need is to re-form the Near East Air Force! Coningsby is a complete dump, the locals (and illegal immigrants) don't like us, it is too far from anywhere (have you BEEN to Skeggy?) and it smells! did I mention that it was a dump?

Lets put ALL our assets as far away from major lines of communication as possible - that is such a good idea.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yeller_Gait
24th Nov 2003, 20:01
SirTH,

With regard to the FQ's at Scampton, I would guess that somewhere near half have been sold off, and without going out and counting them that is my best estimate. FQ's at Scampton are primarily used for Scampton personnel and as overflow for Waddington, but there are also Cranwell, Digby, Conningsby and Cottesmore based personnel living here that I am aware of. Having said that, there are several quarters that are lying empty, but much money needs to be spent to make them safe and habitable.

Your question on where these extra personnel are going to live is indeed a good question. There were plans for new FQ's near Waddington, though I am not sure what the latest is on those, and DHE will need to fight the numerous builders for any available land on the south side of Lincoln.

Interesting times ahead for Scampton I think. :confused:

814man
24th Nov 2003, 23:20
Rumour going around these parts is that the Army are to pull out of the barracks at former RAF Kirton Lindsay, just up the road from Scampton. This would free up plenty of houses as the army also locate some of their troops at the old RAF Hemswell which is actually even closer to Scampton.

Back in 1996 when Scampton initially closed and the houses first went up for sale no one was sure what the future for the base would be, including those of us living there as overspill from Waddo. No change there then you might say. However, there was one set of individuals who seemed quite sure of its future.

Précis of phone call between 814man and youthful enthusiastic estate agent:

814man “I’ve heard that the houses at Scampton are good value as they have been totally refurbished with new kitchens, windows, porches and lots of other stuff that those horrible RAF types don’t need. Only problem is that I don’t much fancy the idea of living on a military base. There’s the threat from terrorists to start with and as for all those noisy airplanes I just don’t think that I could stand it. As I’m interesting in buying a house there can you tell me what the future of the camp is, and is there a chance that they could bring airplanes back.”
Estate agent “No sir I can assure you that the RAF have no plans to ever reuse the base again. Why they would hardly be so silly as to sell all the houses off if they wanted to use it again in the future would they? You can be assured of a quiet life if you buy one of these properties.”

How I laughed when the Reds moved back in some 2 years later. I seriously wonder if anyone was actually taken in by this stuff?

ZH875
25th Nov 2003, 01:38
It may just be true that Kirton-In-Lindsey may be sold off, but earlier this autumn more quarters at Kirton were sold off along with many from Hemswell.

Maybe they could re-open RAF Cambridgeshire, put the Army into Waterbeach and Oakington. Maybe the nice newly done up blocks for the Asylum seekers will be good enough for our troops.

I personally think that if we get rid of enough troops, then Mr (Buff) Hoon and co can claim we really do need the assistance of the Euro-Defence force, and kit us all out in nice German Uniforms complete with Jack Boots and no sign of the French White Flag.