PDA

View Full Version : Life insurance , a scam ?

orgasmotron
21st Nov 2003, 22:06
Maybe somebody can shed some light in the insurance abyss.

Had the very unpleasant experience lately to try an obtain life insurance to cover a bond. They exclude every destination in Africa outside SADEC except Angola and DRC. Unless of course, you fly for SAA. After I explainded to them that I spent 75% of my life outside SADEC, they said it is no problem, as long as I notify them when I stay in Non Sadec African Destinations. Can you imagine the phone bill. They want 100% of your premium for only 50% cover.

Whilst corresponding with them regarding all their exclusions etc., I came to realise that they made a survey of aviation just after the Wright brother's first flight, typical, always on the spot, they only forgot to update their perception during the past 100 years.

They perceive anybody that flies an aircraft in Africa, and not being employed by SAA, as a stunt man. The insurance rep even went so far as to say that the risk in Africa is high because we land on all the small airports at night without lights and there are a lot of landmines in Angola. He said SAA is no problem because they land on big commercial airports only. He also compared flying in Africa with being HIV positive but without having full blown aids (Can you imagine what he would say about cropsprayers) Can you believe the ignorance.

Does this not sound like excluding cover for a truck driver whilst he is driving in peak traffic. Except when he is employed by the municipality. No offense intended to the SAA guys.

Maybe I just had a bad experience, but I could do no better than to tell the insurance rep to place his policy in a place where it will irretate bowl movements for an extended period of time.

This rep was from a well known insurance company and I had insight in his correspondance with the underwriter. His opinions were purely those the underwriter, boosted by his own ignorance about aviation. Did want to take the commision though. He did go through a lot of effort communicating with the underwriter and trying to rationalise their actions but to no avail.

This is in no ways intended to slant insurance brokers but rather to emphasise the insurance industry's ignorance in so far as aviation is concerned.

In the mean time I found a broker from Momentum who helps a lot of pilots and eventually got cover with no exclusions except being disabled by fire flying as crew member.

Small torch in big abyss !!!

Has anybody had simalar experiences ?

Rhodie
21st Nov 2003, 22:34
Same Story Orgas...

Standard answer to questionaire:

"Oh, you fly.... aeroplanes....?"

"No, you git, kettles and pigs with wings...OF COURSE AEROPLANES...!!"

I dunno if advertising is allowed (can I get a commission..?), but in the interest of aviats - I found that Dennis Jankelow - now called Aircrew Financial Services (011 - 463 5550) actually cater for Pilots and aircrew and seem to understand that we study harder than the average driver, take more care in what we do, have medical exams, fly aircraft that get serviced regular and don't have Hiace taxi's to contend with.....

They have found insurers who don't penalise pilots... :ok:

Give 'em a call..