PDA

View Full Version : why no Shetland/Orkney competition

no, no, no
20th Nov 2003, 22:54
I was wondering earlier why BA are the only airline offering service to both Kirkwall and Shetland from Aberdeen? The markets are both pretty large - especially the connecting oil/gas traffic, yet BA seem to keep it all to themselves. In days where new opportunities are short-numbered I would have thought this would be ideal for someone like bmi regional to start - especially with the other ABZ flights they have.:confused:

HZ123
21st Nov 2003, 01:24
I am sure that there is a healthy limited market but it is difficult to see who would want to compete. You are also effected by the weather and are there not some subsides from HIA office.that can only be cut so many ways.

Both K & S have airport operaion hours restrictions and cannot or have not chosen to support a jet (type) operation. I think you may find and I am sure someone will tell us that both airfields have limited nav and landing aids. The costs of upgrading them would not be met by increased flights as you have a small population and only limited tourism.

The other reason may be the confusion within the airlines as to which way to jump next and unless there is market potential then you will see no improvment. Been to both some years ago and was very impressed with the portion of f & Chips on the quayside at S.

KAT TOO
21st Nov 2003, 03:51
its cold, its dark, theres naf all to do.Jets are a no go area, so its turbo prop land, Logi and Eastern i guess. Let em have it.

Lets face it if you can go to Spain for 10% of the cost or soon Dubia for half the cost why would you want to go there except to `connect` with nature, great!, you can't even hug a tree, cos there aren't any, me i'd rather hug a hostie and feel the sun on my bones than the rain.:cool:

I Like it there. Hogg

rodan
21st Nov 2003, 08:11
That was a really useful contribution. Just the sort of grown-up dialogue that makes PPRuNe such a pleasure. :rolleyes:

JB007
21st Nov 2003, 17:47
I don't think it would be a good business decision with 2 operators on the same fairly limited route, both would be fighting for loads and the result would be 2 half full aircraft and 2 operators on a loss making route.

It's been a fairly common situation in the past and usually results in a BA Franchise been signed i.e BA/BMED on the LHR-BEY route!

Logan do a pretty good job 3 times a day KOI-ABZ on the SF3

Big Tudor
21st Nov 2003, 18:34
There is not as much 'market' as you may imagine. A lot of the oil traffic is done on a charter basis. I believe FlightLine have a 146 that operates between Aberdeen and Scatsta in support of the Shell operations. British World used to do the run between Aberdeen and Sumburgh with Heralds and laterly ATR72's under contract to Shell. I recall the ATR's caused a degree of anxiety with the oil men when they first started operating in the stiff breezes that are common in the Shetlands.

Meeb
21st Nov 2003, 19:53
It wasn't ATR's, it was the late great ATP... no wonder the contract went jet... well toy jet anyway... ;)

Big Tudor
21st Nov 2003, 20:26
It was definately ATR's for a while G-OILA & G-OILB as I recall. One of these went to CityFlyer.

Meeb
21st Nov 2003, 20:29
Oh right, maybe that was after Brymon got rid of the Dash 7, seem to remember the leased a brace of ATR's from KLMuk.

East Of Echo Six
22nd Nov 2003, 22:23
The British World ATRs were nothing to do with KLM uk, they were ordered all-shiny and new-smelling off the production line, as Big Tudor says, registered G-OILA and B. They BOTH went to CityFlyer/BA (as G-BYTO and G-BYTP) once the ATPs were ready to take over.

Meeb, it was Gill Air that leased a pair of ATR72s from KLM uk, and I recall they were fairly quickly repossessed.

Competition on routes north from Aberdeen was allegedly coming along in the shape of Shetland Airlines, but nothing has been heard from them for over a year.

I'm sure most have read this, but this summed up the general feeling of the change from Viscount to ATR!

ODE TAE A VISCOUNT
So, fareweel Viscoont, trusty BAF,
They've finally gone and sold ye aff,
Wi' yer nice big windies an' seats so wide,
And four Rolls Royces, two each side,
Now, when we go tae Sun-berra,
Its goin tae be by ATR,
This Franco-'Tally Euro-flyer,
Wi' propellers aff a tumble dryer,
An' concrete seats an' service trolley,
Incorporates one basic folly,
The double turboprop is fine,
Its cheap tae run and doesnae whine,
Yet, deep doon inside, 'twas guid tae know,
That if yin stopped, there wis THREE tae go!
(Jim Sansbury, Brent Alpha Shell Ops Tech)